Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Kayak Tournaments

Just a quick question. What would you gentlemen want to see in tournaments that could be set up for our community? One day, weekend, monthly, or yearly? By species? C.P.R., just California, Mexico, other locations? Do we weigh or tape the fish? WHAT would you like to see? Looking for YOUR ideas. Thanks.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

I want JASs tournaments back.
Really too bad CoDP/CA State Parks made logistics so difficult. Those were the best combined w/ a camping venue.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
dorado50

Bring back the Moyer tournament......your best bet for a larger turnout and participation
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
cabojohn
PROBATION

/\
I'd like to see BOTH tourneys come back.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
MATTUSMC
Junior

I am new to the area, so I cannot comment on previous tournaments in the area. But I would say something along the lines of what TKAA has in the Chesepeake Bay area. Multiple Divisions with several prizes to include some high dollar kayaks, rods, reels, other... Plus a large donation to HOW.

I would recommend both weight-in categories and catch-and-release (lenght based) categories to satisfy both types of fishermen.

I usually can only sneak away to fish one day a weekend, so I am partial to one day events, two or three day events are tough to fit in to a busy schedule with working 50-60 hours a week. But one day events can be tough if the bite is shut off that day for some reason or weather does not cooperate, so there are benefits to both single day and multiday events.

I have fished some monthly tournys with winners that get points for a yearly total. These can be fun because it lets those who can only fish a couple days a month still compete. The prizes for the monthly evolutions were usually smaller like lures or line for the top three places and points for the top 20 for the yearly total. The target fish for each month would vary based on what was around. Sometimes it would be a single fish or other months would be a Slam or combination of species. The top point accumulators for the year would receive higher end prizes like reels, rods, upto kayaks, paddles, and such.

But then again, there does not always need to be a prize... Sometimes a certificate and shit talking rights are a sufficent reward.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
MrM

Wade has a pretty cool tournament he runs for different times, species, locations, etc. Makes is easy to participate for those who can't get out every week. Cheap, too.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Bring back the Moyer tournament......your best bet for a larger turnout and participation
BUT, that works against LJ. We know Calle Playa is a clusterfu[k with a lot of people. Plus the loading up and driving inland to a park for the weigh-in BBQ is a drag.

Venue plus the quality and diversity of the sport fish available will dictate a "good" tournament. Having both at the same time is rare in CA, in regards to MATTUSMCs comments and big tournaments.

Edit: And if it were easy in CA (OK SoCal), there would be the big tournaments mentioned above still running.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
t-$money bussard

honestly, i miss the plastic navy tournament trail... those were great tournaments.
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Weight. It's always weight that matters.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
wbrewski

I really liked the plastic navy tourments, I would like to see this format back again.
With two divisions pro and regular so one person does not win every one.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Weight. It's always weight that matters.
Size, it was always the size that matters.
Except for Wade's CKFS and Team Sewers outings, our tournaments have all gone the way of the Grunion, here today and gone next week. Looking for ideas that might energize our community. ???????

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 11-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

lots of good ideas in the WCW thread

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=13075

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTUSMC View Post
I am new to the area, so I cannot comment on previous tournaments in the area. But I would say something along the lines of what TKAA has in the Chesepeake Bay area. Multiple Divisions with several prizes to include some high dollar kayaks, rods, reels, other... Plus a large donation to HOW.
I'm curious Matt. With all those prizes and a big donation, what are you willing to pay for such an event? The Moyer was $60 at the end, with raffle tickets benefitting the American Cancer Society extra.

I covered the kayak fishing tournament scene for Western Outdoor News for years. I've pitched in (a little) at Plastic Navy events and the Moyer, and put together one poorly run but well supported tournament that raised something like $7000 (THANKS - that was huge!) when we were in the MLPA fight. I fished a lot of them, including the classic blowouts JAS put on and all the early Moyers.

Personally, I think any new events might need to grow up like the old ones, and start from the grassroots like the Money Between Friends events that spawned the Plastic Navy Tournament Trail. I'm pretty sure they still exist in some form. Wade tried one. It didn't draw well for some reason.

WON asked me to look into a Dana Pt tourney a few years back. Rather than the state park, the trick is to go through the harbor management and hold the get-together in the launch ramp parking lot. People can still camp at Doheny State Beach next door. It's doable, but we couldn't make the numbers work for WON. The entry fee would have had to be $100.

I think $50 is a more reasonable number, or even $35. After food, supplemental prizes, permits, insurance (a must!), weigh and safety boat gas, and jackpots, there isn't much left. Companies don't donate gear the way they used to. There has to be a return - I don't blame them.

Tournaments are a lot of work. The guys who did it out of love of the sport eventually burned out.

Back in the day, BWE managed to hold some events right at the Shores. They were outside the silly season. Were they before summer? I have no idea what the situation is now, whether it is still doable.

I haven't talked with any of the local shop owners about a tournament in some time. Convenient facilities exist. There are good reasons why the shops all pulled back a few years ago. For a shop to host a tournament, they need to generate foot traffic and sales - and not just from guys already in the sport. Novices need to be welcome too.

I've thought about it. I'm up for helping with a community effort, for instance, if we were going to bring back something like the Moyer. The magazine I edit might get into the game, but for now it's mostly a one-man shop. Maybe someday.

I'll be following this thread closely.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
YakMedic

I love tournament fishing, I've fished both California and Florida tournaments and I'm hoping to make it to a couple in Texas next year. Most Tournaments I've been fishing have $100 entry fees, there is one out of NC right now with a $200 entry. For most people these entry fees are not too high, but the draw of a large payout is always nice.

My preferences for tournaments are two-day events. Catch and release is nice but with the species we hunt in SoCal there is not an easy way to get a good OTW measurement (except for bass). For a target species, it seems to work well when there are 2-3 targets and an aggregate weight limit wins.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Comanche

Maybe a local camping trip / tournament is in order...

Catalina? Channel Islands?

Tournament with money and fame or just fame =)
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
My preferences for tournaments are two-day events. Catch and release is nice but with the species we hunt in SoCal there is not an easy way to get a good OTW measurement (except for bass). For a target species, it seems to work well when there are 2-3 targets and an aggregate weight limit wins.
I think a two day event would be awesome, in the 5 biggest bass from each day done by length for catch and release. At least start it out like that.

Ryan

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
I think a two day event would be awesome, in the 5 biggest bass from each day done by length for catch and release. At least start it out like that.

Ryan
2X, thanks Ryan, sounds like a good format. That would be C.P.R. of course!!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Dannowar

Generally I like to relax when I fish.

Jackpots I'm fine with. Never really cared about tournaments.

I don't really think the kayak fishing community is missing out by not having structured tournaments on the regular, but that's just me
Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
COLDCUT
Junior

I'm a total noob here since I just recently purchased kayaks for my boy and I. I don't really have any prior tournament kayak fishing experience either but I do know the gang down at OEX Mission Bay are a great bunch of guys. Perhaps an easy going tourney out at Mission Bay with a BBQ on Fiesta Island would be a fun, easy event to put together. Either way, I think getting my son and I involved in a few tournaments sounds like a lot of fun. I think a few of my fishing buddies up in the Temecula area would definitely be interested as well.
COLDCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDCUT View Post
I'm a total noob here since I just recently purchased kayaks for my boy and I. I don't really have any prior tournament kayak fishing experience either but I do know the gang down at OEX Mission Bay are a great bunch of guys. Perhaps an easy going tourney out at Mission Bay with a BBQ on Fiesta Island would be a fun, easy event to put together. Either way, I think getting my son and I involved in a few tournaments sounds like a lot of fun. I think a few of my fishing buddies up in the Temecula area would definitely be interested as well.

I think the best part would be just getting guys together with there family and friends and enjoying time on the water. Its really not even about the prizes for most guys just a bonus.

If the guys want to have something around there store that would be a blast to start with...

Dannowar--- Want to go up and fish one of the NorCal Events next year. There a lot of fun from people from all over, get to meet different anglers with different backgrounds and experience.

Ryan

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote