Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
BellyBuster
Junior

Mounting for FF and Bait Tank!

Hey all, slowly but surely I'm making my way to the water. I have a fishfinder, and a bait bucket. I only have one battery though. Am I allowed to link both the finder and bait pump to one battery? Or does everyone use 2? I know its a dumb question, but I'm admitting I'm a super noobie at this.

If anyone also has any tips on mounting this thing, I got wires and everything all over the place. Thanks for any advice!
BellyBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Gino

use a sperate battery for each, Id use a 6-8volt 12 amp hour for the bait tank,

I thin most fish finders use a 12 volt. even though it drawls low, a Bait tank pump will drain your battery pretty fast.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

I agree with Gino, you're better off running 2 different batteries than all on one. I'm new at Kayaking also, but from boating experience I know you want to seperate the two.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Lord Matthew34
Mad Yakker

I mounted my FF in the front of my yak and obviously the bank tank in the back. The bait tank wires run through the kayak to a switch mounted up near the FF. Then I spliced the wires from the FF and the bait tank into a dry box where I have 1 12volt battery to power them both. I dont do a lot of live bait fishing (mainly because I enjoy fishing plastics and cranks in the bay) but i've got the option and I think the capacity to pretty much run both at the same time for extended periods of time. I'm also going to run an inline fuse to the FF wire, because if this does cause me to blow a circuit i'd rather the fuse go out, then the FF.

Hide your wires on the inside of the yak, and use zip ties to keep them singularly and out of the way.
Lord Matthew34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

As far as batteries go, it all depends on your application. I agree that you can run the bait tank and FF from one battery and it will work great for fishing the bays and lakes (unless your butt fishing with dines) or even keep a couple macs alive.

But, If you want to seriously target the big three, you should seriously consider two different power sources, one 6V and one 12V.
-A dedicated power source for your GPS/FF is nice, loosing your GPS in the fog even if you have a compass is not fun. It also sucks fishing half the day only to get out to a new spot and loose your FF.
-Bilge pumps running at 12V suck up the juise pretty fast and pump way too much water for most 5-8gal yak tanks. 6V batteries are small, about the size of a paperback book and will run most pumps 12-18hrs.
- Targeting pelegics during certain times of the year usually requires making lots of bait(20+ mac) then transporting them a mile or ten and keeping them alive all day
-Also some live bait such as squid and dines require lots of water, when using these baits I leave the tank running constantly, it seems like if you turn the water off for even a second, half of them will roll.

OR

You could go the redneck style with any random container and a $15 hand bilge pump, I use this method with a bigger bait tank (10-12gal) on the front of a tandem, it works OK, but just don't plan on keeping more than 4-5 pieces of bait alive all day, which can put you at a pretty big disadvantage.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
BellyBuster
Junior

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think what imma do is use a small 6v for the pump and adding a switch.

What is the best dry boxes you guys use for housing batterys?
BellyBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyBuster View Post

I just use a drybag
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyBuster View Post
You can get a waterproof box from Walmart. They're clear and can be found in the camping section. They come in 2 sizes, the big one will fit a 12v 7ah battery. I think they cost about $8.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

The boxes from wallmart are ok for the bait tank, although i like the pelican boxes myself...they are just alot more expensive. I would also recoment checking out OEX or the BWE online store, they have lots of bait tank parts and experience.

Although it's fun and cheap to build your own, going with one of the pre-built units will probably save you some time and agrivation in the future.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Quilted Germ

Is it necessary to have an in line fuse if you are running a fish finder off of it's own battery. I have recently bought a second battery but am wondering what are the adverse effects of no in line fuse....any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
PescadorPete

Let's see - shorted power connector or internal short in the FF. Fully charged battery, red hot wires, melting wire insulation, overheating battery, all inside the hull. Not for me. I have a fuse right at the battery terminal.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

OEX has a nice waterproof inline fuse. I put one on my FF to protect it. As far as powering your gear, I just added a bait tank timer and am running the FF and the bait tank off one battery. With a on/off switch for the bait tank, you can keep the tank off and empty on your paddle out to make bait (as well as reduce the weight in your yak).
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
metalbob
King of Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Let's see - shorted power connector or internal short in the FF. Fully charged battery, red hot wires, melting wire insulation, overheating battery, all inside the hull. Not for me. I have a fuse right at the battery terminal.
I second this...

I use a single battery with a 3-17 timer for the pump i got from CJ at OEX, so far i have been able to get 8 hours with a sonar and gps.

good luck

MB
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote