Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
dick fabulous

spectra

What colors of spectra are preferred and what poundage would be good for Avet SX and a Penn 113h Baja Special ? I am considering Power Pro brand.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
lamb

I don't think the color matters. I fished green and white, I fish with the guys that have that fancy japaneese that has different color every 10 meters or so...

You won't be able to put much on SX if you go with heavier line. 40ish # +/-, depending on what you plan to target the most.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
GregAndrew

I use green and have not had any problems with it. But Lamb is right, the color should not matter much, that is why you use Fluro. The SX will hold 450 yards of 65# spectra (12# diameter). Not sure about the Penn. I prefer 65# spectra cause it gives you a lot of options on tying different tests of Fluro directly to it.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Nic D

I fish 50lb on my sx and don't let Adi fool you! he fishes Rainbow colored spectra
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
PescadorPete

I use 65# spectra on the Baja and the TLD-15. I use Izorline white. I don't care for the waxy coating on the powerpro.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Green is the color I go with on most of my line options, I personally use the Spider Wire that you can get at Wal-Mart for a pretty good price. I've never had any problems with it and I have 50# on my reels.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
dick fabulous

Thanks for the help.

I have always fished mono P line. Besides the spectra being stronger than mono what are some of the differences in performance? I want to cut some kelp too!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Lets_Fish

How much fluorocarbon?

I'm sure this would fall under "it depends", but in general how much fluorocarbon do you add 25, 50, more or less yards onto of your spectra?
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

mono vs. Braid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
I have always fished mono P line. Besides the spectra being stronger than mono what are some of the differences in performance? I want to cut some kelp too!
If I'm reading this correctly you're asking what is the real difference with Mono to Braid, correct?

If that's the case then the best way to say it is you will feel everything with braid. I too still fish mostly mono, but when I'm fishing deep, or in around the kelp or other structure I'll use Braid with a Floro leader as most others do.

If you have not fished braid I recommend getting a spool of spider wire from wal-mart for about $12, 150 yards, and give it a try. I like it in the 30# to 65# class. Fish some bottom structures and you'll see how much you feel. Keep in mind that this stuff can cut through kelp, fingers, and other things so when pulling your knots tight use somrthing to grip the braid with to pull, don't wrap it around your fingers to pull down really tight it will cut you.

Also when casting braid, make sure it was loaded tight on the spool, and that you don't get any backlashes, it can be difficult to clear up these in braid. Other than that, have fun with it.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Siebler

If you fish the Natural white colored Spectra from Izorline it will last much longer as there is no Dyed Wax coating to come off. It also casts much better and is more limp.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
dick fabulous

Red face

Again thanks for the info. Smaller better like it may fluff on spool when oops casting or retrieving ? Glue all knots ? 10 feet flouro at a time right idea ?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
Again thanks for the info. Smaller better like it may fluff on spool when oops casting or retrieving ? Glue all knots ? 10 feet flouro at a time right idea ?
Always, if possible, try to keep the line as tight on the spools as you can. Also when spooling up the line be sure that it is anchored well to the spool to avoid slipping. Many will spool up a couple feet of mono first as a buffer to the spool, and then fill with the braid. Personally when adding leaders I go 10' at the most, and never have had any problems hooking up of landing fish. I've never glued my knots but I have heard of people doing so. When casting braid, practice and practice, you really don't want any over runs. Jim Sammons has a great video on Youtube about the best way to cast a conventional reel. After watching that video and applying it to my casting, I have notice huge results, further casting, less effort, and no over runs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1Rwwcmkzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYYPQoHypk

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 04-08-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: adding links