Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Snags

MDR reefs

Been a while since I've had a chance to get out there because of some back issues but the forecast was good so I decided to chase some bass out at the reefs.

Launched at sunrise and headed straight to the spot. Slight breeze and pretty glassy out there today.
No other boats around so I had it all to myself.
Steady bite for most of the morning. Even saw a couple big ones follow my hooked fish nearly to the boat. All fish caught on swim baits and underspins. More natural colors seemed to be the ticket. Lots of bait around, mostly deep.

Picked up 7 calico's and 2 nice sandys. All fish were good size. Released to fight another day. Hooked a real drag burner in the mid column but it pulled the hooks. Never got a look at it.

The Betty O showed up around 11 and pushed in
and anchored about 100 yards from me.
Anyway, hooked another nice one right in front of them and then the bight slowed down. Wind picked up so I called it a day.
Packed up by noon.
Great morning.
Here's a few pics.
Cheers, Steve
Attached Images

Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Reiner

that spot is FAIL prove for you. Always produces.
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
goldenglory18

Awesome. I'm seriously thinking about playing hooky on Friday and paddling out there. Forecast seems to be pretty consistent all week. Dead calm early AM, wind around 10/11....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Amish Ed

What a great day and report. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
jbl_91762

Nice post!! Each time I've gone out there current kept pulling me out of the zone. I do like that area fishing even in the marina. Damn that party boat was loaded!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Snags

Definitely a challenge staying in the zone and getting a fairly light lure down on the marks when the current is moving. I've experimented with heavier lures but I get more bites on the 3/4 oz.

That boat was entirely filled with kids and Dads having fun so I didn't let the captain know what I thought of him. Future kayak fishermen. Probably a private charter.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Nice post!! Each time I've gone out there current kept pulling me out of the zone. I do like that area fishing even in the marina. Damn that party boat was loaded!
Time your trips around the slack tides. Currents are generated by tidal movement. During times of high and low tides the current switches direction most of the time. This provides about an hour of slack current/tide.

This would solve your staying on the spot issue, but your second issue is fish like to feed when the current is ripping. IMO this is because bigger fish have an advantage over smaller fish in strong currents, also because the current moves food across the reef/structure. Additionally I feel that current runs more water through the fishes gills which oxygenates their blood giving them more energy.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Snags

Totally agree. Big ones bite better when the tide/current is really pushing.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
greenscales
greenscales

I do a lot of fishing of sonar marks on reefs in currents - the reason I finally bought a Hobie - need the pedals to get the lure to stay in the zone. I Bring a variety of lures on different rigs so I can quickly switch on current shifts. It’s not just weight - but shape. Fiat Falls, 6X JRs, etc. flutter and can stay in a zone longer in slower currents (and thus usually weaker bites) where as Colt Snipers, Savage Slim Squish jigs, etc. work better when the current starts to rip &/or wind blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
barongan
Banned

I love this thread, nice report
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
tennesseestud
Junior

I just hit that spot the first time yesterday launching from escondido beach, fished the kelp right off shore before heading out deeper to the 100s. Had a great trip and slayed the calico, maybe 12+, but they were all short. Caught a 22in barracuda too.

Im pretty new to the sport and just figuring things out as I go, but am trying to get my first yellowtail, or good size halibut out there. Is that possible in that area, and how deep do I have to go, or should I just stick to mostly chasing the bass? I have so much to learn out there but get better everytime I go. Ill definitely be back there again soon, thinking about sunday or monday,

I fish a 14' malibu tandem pro fish, I got a bait tank but think I have been using too big of mackerel as bait. I gunna try to get some of those medium anchovies out there next time.

Glad to see other people out in the same area, I leave from culver too.
tennesseestud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
tennesseestud
Junior

Whoops, Looks like I got the threads mixed up thought there was something about having to stay out of the preserve in Malibu... Ive only launched for the MDR a couple times and the wind was pretty bad, never made it much past the breakwall... Didnt have much luck
tennesseestud is offline   Reply With Quote