Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
YakDout
Brandon

No I meant 6 OZ because those two lobster on the right make that can look like its 6 OZ.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Deamon

Save Tony...grab onto to that HDS-7...Save Tony...yank off that HDS-7...I'm telling you, I would've had a tough decision to make...almost lost 4 team sewer guys in one year. Matt moving away, Roby's going into hiding since FRANK kicked his arse in Cambria...hahahaha!!!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #23
da22y

Great story to learn from.

---- No matter how good you are or how good you think you are. Unexpected things can happen out there, kayak fishing is a risky business.-----

I had a few times in the past, show up at LJ in early morning , look at the surf , think and think over, go home and sleep more... wait for a better day.

Life is more important than fishing ( or hooping ).
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Those lobster are going to taste extra special at Irvine this year...

I'm glad your fat-ass made it back alive.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Sorry for what happened to you, i should have listened to u, went out for 5 min, came back and got wet, messed up my phone, no lobster, and lost everybody phone #. Thanks Jorge
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
Teambcw

Happy your both ok. Nice bugs! Hopefully the FF will be a easy swap.
Teambcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #27
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I continue to learn from posts and this is no different. Glad you are alive to tell the story. Where would we be without u?!!????!!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #28
battleborn

Bad situation…in hindsight maybe you should not have went. I also look at it from this point. You practiced re entry so you had a plan for the flip over. You had a ladder a PFD etc. You stayed calm under these adverse conditions. You did not go solo and had your partner close for just an emergency like this. Every time we go out its a calculated risk. You know your limits better than we do so in your judgement you went for it. I applaud you for your familiarization with your rig, how you coped with the serious situation, and the contingencies you had in place. A side note I always carry a hand pump to dewater the bilge just incase. I would have just lifted the cockpit hatch and pump the water out from there instead of opening the coffin. Good job with the swim and good job with the bugs. Live and learn.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
ericko

Got the late night text from George.. Telling me you got the limits but with a price...glad your OK ....
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #30
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Where's the video? Seriously tho, good you had a buddy that day just in case you couldn't have rescued yourself.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #31
PAL

Those inflatable PFDs are a hoot, aren't they? Pow! Wow, epic share. Getting back on the PA was no easy deal if you had to strip. Like Zed says, good thing it wasn't cold out.

What's your PA ladder look like?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #32
Rambo

Quite an experience and that's just nuts going out in that kind of condition. Experience pays off but then glad you both made it back safely to share the epic adventure with us.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #33
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
You may have just saved more than your life, good share
X2
Very happy to hear your OK.

Though we've never met, I look forward to your reports and you 'banter' with Jorge!
For God's sake be more careful.
Thanks for sharing. This should serve to remind the rest of us to not over estimate our abilities or underestimate "POSEIDON".
btw: don't you carry a bilge pump? (curious)
Sincerely,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Those inflatable PFDs are a hoot, aren't they? Pow! Wow, epic share. Getting back on the PA was no easy deal if you had to strip. Like Zed says, good thing it wasn't cold out.

What's your PA ladder look like?

Here is the PA ladder if your interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
btw: don't you carry a bilge pump? (curious)
Sincerely
Yes I do carry a bilge pump, I had it out on deck with me that night. It was a westmarine bilge pump, it doesn't float. Like I said in a previous post it was one of the first things that sank to the bottom.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #35
guamboas

Glad no one got hurt.

NAVY CHIEF PETTY OFFICER (RET)
guamboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #36
EastLosYaker

For anyone in need of a "bilge pump", I got mine at the 99cent store. It is really a kids toy water gun to be used in a swimming pool. I actually needed to use it about a month ago while fishing under the Coronado bridge when the leak in my yak became apparent. I worked like a champ and on top of that, it floats! Thanks to Andy for patching me back up. Great story for us to read. Glad everything turned out OK.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Here is the PA ladder if your interested.

Yes I do carry a bilge pump, I had it out on deck with me that night. It was a westmarine bilge pump, it doesn't float. Like I said in a previous post it was one of the first things that sank to the bottom.

Thanks for sharing and we're glad to hear your here to tell us and remind us of safety issues. Someone mentioned the ladder cracking the PA, did it? And will you go back to using the same style of PDF? Would a different style still been in the way and have to be jettisoned?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #38
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Thanks for sharing and we're glad to hear your here to tell us and remind us of safety issues. Someone mentioned the ladder cracking the PA, did it? And will you go back to using the same style of PDF? Would a different style still been in the way and have to be jettisoned?

No the PA did not crack from the ladder. That was frank... if you haven't picked up on it yet...Frank just happens to be an idiot.

The self inflating PFD is good probably not the best one to use on a kayak...although I did appreciate the fact that it inflated for me at the right time...it's probably more better suited to be used in a boat. Now a manually inflated one would probably be better for everyday use...

Would a different style been in the way? I guess it would depend upon the person...for example a small skinny guy probably wouldn't have a problem...but a big fat guy like me just might have one.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #39
Southman

There's something about a rough ocean with rolling swells and whitecaps. Add to the mix the darkness and most of us are definitely way out of our comfort zone.

Glad you made it in uninjured and thanks for posting. It helps to visualize what you went through and for us to think what we would have done in that situation.

Stay safe.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #40
roadx

good read. glad you had a buddy with you and are back safe with bugs.

i flipped my pa 12 in the bay and it was no fun. if i didnt have help i would have not been able to flip it back upright.
lesson learned.
i too made a PA ladder in the back (i only used rope without the pvc/aluminum rung) and i use my game clip on a rope that is attached to one of the sides rail that will stretch across the mid section so i can use to flip it upright.
theres no way *my arm can reach the opposite side rail to flip it.
get a hand pump people (no matter what yak you have)! the pa will fill up with water with the hatches closed. the front hatch does not seal well enough while upside down to keep out water.

be safe