Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Ensenada Mothership trip for Tuna

Has anyone done one of these trips targeting tuna?

https://sandogkayakadventures.com/en...thership-trips

If so what was it like? Photos?

Two days back to back might be rough, seems like a day r and r between would make for a better package.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
SoCalEDC

Looks rad as hell and pretty affordable
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
PapaDave

Those trips look interesting, do they get booked up fast? And how many kayak do they take? Looks like six might be a little much. Do you bring your own kayak and if so do they allow PA14's?
Old 05-23-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Those trips look interesting, do they get booked up fast? And how many kayak do they take? Looks like six might be a little much. Do you bring your own kayak and if so do they allow PA14's?
Those are all good questions. I emailed San Dog Kayak Adventures and Charter Fishing, providing them with a link to this thread. Hopefully, they will answer our questions here so that many will know without having to contact them directly.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Has anyone done one of these trips targeting tuna?

If so what was it like? Photos?

Two days back to back might be rough, seems like a day r and r between would make for a better package.
Hey John, Thank you for asking about our Tuna Mothership Trip in Ensenada. I will answer questions here as well as give you guys the link to our Mothership trip page on our website.

We just got off the phone with our Captain in Ensenada. WeÂ’ve been waiting for the word from him on the Tuna, to start running trips for Tuna. Good news he said the Tuna are in. TheyÂ’re just coming in. TheyÂ’re not thick, but he said if we go out for Tuna and donÂ’t get any, there are tons of Yellowtail all in the kelp Patties right now. So fish on!**

We are pretty much set up and priced to take Groups of 6, but We know a few people who are down to go anytime we go, so if you have a group less than 6, we can probably get the spots filled. We let you choose the dates and as long as itÂ’s available, we can go! We can take PA 14Â’s, the most is 2 per trip.

We love Ensenada, and weÂ’ve had the best trips there every time. We have some pics on my website and Instagram as well as a couple videos on our YouTube channel that show a good picture of what itÂ’s like. WeÂ’ve gone a few times and went for Rock Fish, Cod, White fish, Ling etc and brought back insane amounts of fish. ItÂ’s just so fun being out there getting those big fish on the yak.

The Captain and crew are English speaking and great, great fishermen and great guys. My wife knows the owner of the resort we stay at and itÂ’s very safe and beautiful. We really have a great time out there.

The first day fishing Estero Bay is as laid back, or as Bonzai as you want to make it, you launch right from the resort. Then Day 2, Big Boy and Girl fishing the waters of Ensenada. ItÂ’s not so overfished like everything here. ItÂ’s just awesome. Someone mentioned wanting to have a day in between the trips, we can do whatever you guys want!

WeÂ’re here for you! We appreciate the questions and we hope to see you all in Mexico!! Sincerely San Dog Kayak Adventures owners,
San Dog Kayak Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

https://youtu.be/V3Xen9zYwI4

https://youtu.be/I961IbysrHc

https://youtu.be/B2g4ZF26GIo

Above are links to some of our Mothership Trip videos. Then I will post a link below to the information page on our website!

Old 05-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

Hey Dave.. thanks for the questions. It is for bringing your own Kayak, you can bring up to 2 PA 14’s per trip. We take groups of 6, you can book whatever dates you want, as long as they’re available. We also know people who are always ready to go back to Ensenada so we can help fill spots if you don’t have 6 people. I also added more info and links to pics and videos of the trip below. Please let us know if you have any more questions. ������
Old 05-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Dog Kayak Adventures View Post
Hey John, Thank you for asking about our Tuna Mothership Trip in Ensenada. I will answer questions here as well as give you guys the link to our Mothership trip page on our website.

We just got off the phone with our Captain in Ensenada. WeÂ’ve been waiting for the word from him on the Tuna, to start running trips for Tuna. Good news he said the Tuna are in. TheyÂ’re just coming in. TheyÂ’re not thick, but he said if we go out for Tuna and donÂ’t get any, there are tons of Yellowtail all in the kelp Patties right now. So fish on!**

We are pretty much set up and priced to take Groups of 6, but We know a few people who are down to go anytime we go, so if you have a group less than 6, we can probably get the spots filled. We let you choose the dates and as long as itÂ’s available, we can go! We can take PA 14Â’s, the most is 2 per trip.

We love Ensenada, and weÂ’ve had the best trips there every time. We have some pics on my website and Instagram as well as a couple videos on our YouTube channel that show a good picture of what itÂ’s like. WeÂ’ve gone a few times and went for Rock Fish, Cod, White fish, Ling etc and brought back insane amounts of fish. ItÂ’s just so fun being out there getting those big fish on the yak.

The Captain and crew are English speaking and great, great fishermen and great guys. My wife knows the owner of the resort we stay at and itÂ’s very safe and beautiful. We really have a great time out there.

The first day fishing Estero Bay is as laid back, or as Bonzai as you want to make it, you launch right from the resort. Then Day 2, Big Boy and Girl fishing the waters of Ensenada. ItÂ’s not so overfished like everything here. ItÂ’s just awesome. Someone mentioned wanting to have a day in between the trips, we can do whatever you guys want!

WeÂ’re here for you! We appreciate the questions and we hope to see you all in Mexico!! Sincerely San Dog Kayak Adventures owners,

Hey San Dog,

Thanks for replying to our inquiry. Do you have a seasonal fishing calendar? Fish of interest might include Tuna Species, White Sea Bass, Halibut, Yellowtail, Billfish, and Dorado. Many of the kayakers on this forum can catch bottom fish on a half-day trip from their nearest launch. Driving to Ensenada to put one's kayak on a mothership to do the same is unappealing compared to the other species mentioned above. If the mothership trips have not accomplished any of the above-mentioned catches, maybe the captain can share some catch photos from conventional fishing trips to get an idea of what might be feasible. How much is the nightly corporate rate at the resort? Do the charter rates include all licenses, permits, taxes, and required expenses? If not what is the customary tip and other additional costs?

Thanks.

Attached is a sample calendar from a resort in Loreto
Attached Images
File Type: gif fishingcalendar.gif (27.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

Tuna and Other Desired Species

Hey John!

Thanks for replying! This is our first season of doing Mothership Trips, and we are also continuing to run trips in Mission Bay, Point Loma and La Jolla, so we are just booking the trips by request, this is a 6 pack Charter, so as groups of 6 coordinate and decide on the dates.

The Captain just said the Tuna is starting, so we havenÂ’t done that trip yet, just the reef fishing! IÂ’ll keep in touch with you guys and let you know how it goes after we do some Tuna Trips!

WhatÂ’s included in the trips, varies per trip, as we offer several options, which are all listed on our website, but the trip weÂ’ve been running is $400 per person and includes a day Kayak Fishing Estero Bay, One night at Estero Beach Hotel and Resort & one Mothership Trip.

Additional costs-
*Optional $10 parking while on mothership highly recommended,
*(Mexican fishing license One day: $12.05 dollars. One week: $23.63 dollars. One month: $33.26 dollars. One year: $42.94 dollars.)
*Gratuity for Captain $40+ per person recommended,
*Food, Drink, Gas
*Toll Roads recommended, about $15 for all tolls

I can coordinate any additional nights for you at the corporate rate $135 plus tax it ends up $155 per night.

We have kept it a pretty basic trip to keep costs down, but we can accommodate most requests! Unless it gets weird! ;p I will keep in touch regarding the species mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions! Thank you!

WeÂ’re open to suggestions and requests! Tight lines everyone!
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Old 05-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

Thanks so much man!
Old 05-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #11
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Junior

John thanks for the sample Calendar. Ill get with the Captain and make one of those up!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Hey John!

Thanks for replying! This is our first season of doing Mothership Trips, and we are also continuing to run trips in Mission Bay, Point Loma and La Jolla, so we are just booking the trips by request, this is a 6 pack Charter, so as groups of 6 coordinate and decide on the dates.

The Captain just said the Tuna is starting, so we havenÂ’t done that trip yet, just the reef fishing! IÂ’ll keep in touch with you guys and let you know how it goes after we do some Tuna Trips!

WhatÂ’s included in the trips, varies per trip, as we offer several options, which are all listed on our website, but the trip weÂ’ve been running is $400 per person and includes a day Kayak Fishing Estero Bay, One night at Estero Beach Hotel and Resort & one Mothership Trip.

Additional costs-
*Optional $10 parking while on mothership highly recommended,
*(Mexican fishing license One day: $12.05 dollars. One week: $23.63 dollars. One month: $33.26 dollars. One year: $42.94 dollars.)
*Gratuity for Captain $40+ per person recommended,
*Food, Drink, Gas
*Toll Roads recommended, about $15 for all tolls

I can coordinate any additional nights for you at the corporate rate $135 plus tax it ends up $155 per night.

We have kept it a pretty basic trip to keep costs down, but we can accommodate most requests! Unless it gets weird! ;p I will keep in touch regarding the species mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions! Thank you!

WeÂ’re open to suggestions and requests! Tight lines everyone!
San Dog Kayak Adventures
Hey San Dog,

Thanks for going over some of the additional costs, it's been decades since the last time I drove Sth of the border. It's good to know what to expect.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
John thanks for the sample Calendar. Ill get with the Captain and make one of those up!
Cool, I did a quick google search and could not find one for Ensanada. I look forward to seeing it -- Thanks.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #14
PapaDave

Quote:
Hey Dave.. thanks for the questions. It is for bringing your own Kayak, you can bring up to 2 PA 14’s per trip. We take groups of 6, you can book whatever dates you want, as long as they’re available. We also know people who are always ready to go back to Ensenada so we can help fill spots if you don’t have 6 people. I also added more info and links to pics and videos of the trip below. Please let us know if you have any more questions. ������
Okay, thanks for the reply. So if I have this correct, there would be 6 people going on two kayak?

I would be interested in getting some tuna off the kayak, and yellowtail, not picky. I will visit your website and take a look...
Old 05-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Okay, thanks for the reply. So if I have this correct, there would be 6 people going on two kayak?

I would be interested in getting some tuna off the kayak, and yellowtail, not picky. I will visit your website and take a look...
I think what they meant to say is 2 Pro angler kayaks maximum out of the six kayaks they take on the boat. Because the pro anglers are big, they don't have the space to take six. The San Clemente mothership trips on Islander had a similar policy at one time. In one of San Dog's youtube videos, they stack the kayaks in two piles 3 high on the back deck of the boat for a total of 6 kayaks for the trip. The boat looks pretty full, so there might be a limit on how much gear one can take.

My experience with kelp paddy yellowtail is that they are generally very juvenile, so unless they post reports to the contrary, that is what one should expect.