Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Good information is priceless when it comes to man powered trips. I was considering lanching out of Newport, as I feel most of the life has moved up the line, so thanks for the look. I'm watching the strong onshore flow with ample cloud cover of the past couple days, and expecting a slight drop in water temps, but optamistic that some new paddies will slide into range. When the next push of life (if there is one) swings in, I will drop what I'm doing and go (damn squid bites ).
First of all...VERY IMPRESSIVE work to get out that far and still feel like you had more in the tank.

Second, for me personally after seeing the dodo size out of NPH half way to CAT yesterday on a 3/4 day trip, I would pass. Exotics are cool..but 20-30 mi. of paddling/pedaling just to say you caught a 3-5lb dorito off a paddy is not for me. By the way, lots of schools yesterday but not much biting. Finding the right paddy in a PB is one thing...... having to "paddy hop" in a yak to find the biters after it took you 6 hours to get there...PRICELESS!

Good luck and be safe.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #22
THE DARKHORSE

I agree.....

QUOTE BY: FOREFRAZIER
for me personally after seeing the dodo size out of NPH half way to CAT yesterday on a 3/4 day trip, I would pass. Exotics are cool..but 20-30 mi. of paddling/pedaling just to say you caught a 3-5lb dorito off a paddy is not for me. By the way, lots of schools yesterday but not much biting. Finding the right paddy in a PB is one thing...... having to "paddy hop" in a yak to find the biters after it took you 6 hours to get there...PRICELESS!

I agree with you half way, but from my experience when you see Doritio's around, keep looking. Sometimes it's only little guys, but you never know. More than likely a couple of bulls are close by, with the possability of Tuna, and Marlin love those little things.

I'm one of the lucky few to have already caught a Dorado "unassisted from a kayak", some say it was the "first ever". I'm guessing an Indian in a wooden boat took one off Black's for that title, many many years ago, but I'll take it.

Catching a 5 lb Dorado isn't my goal, but few things can compare to the beauty of seeing a Dorado below the kayak. I'm a C and R guy by nature, so I will pull out the 12 lb Shimano Chronarch set-up with the circle hooks, if that's all I can find. As far as the school having lock jaw with 60 guys on a sportie, giant twin diesel engines thumping, tossing sardines, or a pile of boats trying to get them to go, "no comparison to the stealth of a kayak". I've seen a sportie drift a paddie a few times, while chumming hard, and not one biter out of the group. Then we stay back a while (waiting in the skiff), chunk a little, and troll well outside working in, to find a WFO bite.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-14-2008 at 11:30 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #23
lamb

Big At&T long distance there Josh, amazing. Brave. Sorry no luck.

Nothing wrong with shorter trips on the kayak. All on the side, that is Boat'rUs territory.

I also heard Josh pulled a dodo out of LJ that one year. I never saw the pic though.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
frugalfisher

Good Story

I only wish I could paddle that far... maybe a Hobie is in my future..
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #25
mc08066

Kayaking the big boys

After fishing the last couple of weeks on a PB and one day on a mothership/PB out to the 9 mile bank. I can definitely echo the words
that the schools are closer then you think. My friend Gabe caught a small dorado 2 weeks ago on his kayak at the 9 mile bank and if the bait had not rolled we could of easily continued with both kayaks in the water. Just for your information the 9 mile bank is 14 miles out. Up on returning home we stopped on a kelp 4 miles off the point of Point Loma that was holding dorado's. This would of been a very easy paddle for most of individuals. If you are heading off shore, go to the 9 mile bank and fish around it. If you find a kelp holding dorados don't be fooled to think that there is not something bigger. Last Thursday at the 9 mile, we ran into two kelps holding doritos at first. Next pass it opened to dorado's. Our last pass ended with YFT upto 40lbs and bigger sized dorados (15 lbs). If you are lucky enough to get infront of a school of breezing porposes, flyline sardines and hold on for the onslaught on YFT. Check weather and take precautions if you are heading off shore by bringing along a friend or two. Handhelds VHF, PDF's and GPS are a must. If you can leave really, really, really early your chances will improve. Just make sure you have navagational lights if in the dark. Bring a squid jig just in case. Also mako's have been active recently especially by patties.
Good Luck.
Jimmy
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #26
Dave I.

Darkhorse,

I may not be very experienced, but i am a little stupid/brave. If you need/want another buddy on the next trip, and can give 2 days advance notice i would be down for your next long range yak attack.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #27
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks Jimmy.....

As far as this original post, we didn't hit the 9 mile bank as we took a West/Northwest track from Mission bay.

I just woke up from 12 hours of much needed sleep after 17 hours of hot pursuit. I couldn't sleep with a report from the day before of YFT in close, and managed an hour and a half before I woke for the trip at 1:00 a.m. I launched around 2 a.m. from San Diego bay (Lawrence street) sunday morning, with hopes of making it to the 9 mile bank by greylight. I brought extra lights and another Hobie tagalong to be safe. After tipping the guy $4 for a kayak scoop, and asking nicely for a little help as we had a long journey ahead of us, he scooped out "one more sardine" . Why not flip me off , or just say no? I had bigger fish to fry, with nothing but YFT on my mind, so in the dark we were on our way. Rounding Point Loma in the dark with a mirage drive isn't fun. We kinda got lucky, and found a channel relatively close to the point, saving time from going around the kelp. Well off the point by greylight, but not even close to the 9 mile, I was a little dissapointed. I had heard of the Tuna under the porps from days prior, and wasn't focused on finding a paddy so much. At 6:30 a.m. I see breaking fish, and they aren't porps , up and down then gone. The acres of porps are close behind though, showing a couple of minutes later. The porps would "fly" through super fast, with boats trying to get in front all morning, but these opportunities were far and few between. I was seperated from my partner (1 mile), as I came across some jumping bait. The jumping bait was something I hadn't seen yet while this far out, as the meter is blank most of the time. I was heading towards it and was stopped by a greyhounding Striped Marlin coming straight for me . I was about 200' away and by the last jump he was about 75' off my bow, coming in hot. I wasn't set up for Marlin, with 3 light line setups of #12, #18, and #25 flouro, and my Ulua with #40. I wasn't thinking clearly, and didn't want to hook him on the light line, so I threw my silver jig about ten times fanning the area. I knew I would have a better shot with live bait, and had to tie two knots with #40 flouro. This took precious time, and something I would regret all day. Why I didn't just cut my jig off, and tie one knot with the straight #40 Izorline I don't know. I guess, the thought of hooking a solid #150+ Marlin on my Ulua wasn't the ideal scenario. I never saw this fish again, marked the spot, and kept heading offshore. By the time I find my partner he is having trouble, and I guess his three prior knee surgeries came into play, as he is now paddling the Hobie Outback. He is having a good time though, using the precious sardines to catch Mako's . He has decided that's it's not safe with his condition, and heads in at 8:00 a.m., so I continue my trek to the 9 alone. Maybe alone for the next few miles, but as I make it to the 9, birds, porps, and boats everywhere. I'm pretty pissed off, thinking what could of been had I been here sooner. I focus on the birds and porps, trolling infront and through them over and over. A couple of schools had some awesome marks between 60'-100' below the porps, zipping all around (Tuna). I dropped silver jigs on these schools and troll a weighted sardine at 60' on a 8' #25 flouro leader, and a flyline with #20 flouro, but never get a strike, atleast not from Tuna. This action dies off in the afternoon, and a couple of nice boaters had given me a whole new cured bait supply, keeping the dream alive. I came across the most beautiful paddy I had ever seen from the plastic, a paddy with incredible life around and below. I chunked up-current for close to 20 minutes with my entire first crop of rolled sardines. I had quite the frenzy of bait around the paddy. I never got on top of the paddy to have a proper look, hoping to not disturb my shot. After chunking for a while and sending in baits, I start to troll the outside working in. I finally get on top to have a look, and geez, if I only found this paddy days prior. I'm sure YFT's, and many Dorado once lived here. The paddy was 30' long, 5' wide, and was extending 50' below. A whole city of bait, but no predators, except a Mako that kept patrolling the area, no thanks. I keep heading in straight towards the #'s with the Marlin from the morning. Well short from the spot, it happens again. I'm freaking, as I see a billfish coming out of the water heading straight for me . I turn my rudder for the second time of the day to keep from being speared in the chest, no thank you. On the last jump I get a real good look at the fish, with his bill as fat as a baseball bat, and the most incredible purple color, it's a freaking huge swordfish. I'm now set up with a #40 rig on the shorter stout rod, and got a greenback from the boater earlier. As I'm grabbing the greenie, I notice a tiny "tin-can" with a micro outboard a few hundred yards behind my prize. He's got to be close to being spooled, and is screaming at me that he's hooked up with a Swordfish, no S*^t. We both trade looks of "what the hell are you doing out here", and they chase this fish into the distance to never be seen again.

I've only seen one Marlin before from the kayak, last september, a couple miles off the pier in La Jolla. I thought to myself, "what are the odds of seeing two billfish in one day"? I came to the conclusion, obviously more likely when inshore/offshore, than fishing in La Jolla all the time. To make an already long story short, the kayak exotics score for the season stands at 0 and 2. I land back at Lawrence street a little past 7:00 p.m., and as my bow hits the sand I take a series of naps for the next hour before unloading. The wake from passing boats splash the side of the kayak, waking me up a few times, and if anything I found my limit. An hour and a half of sleep and 17 hours of nonstop pedaling, almost did me in, but all I can think about now is heading back out with a 50W reel to finish what I started.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-18-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #28
Afran
fishy

YALL CRAZY
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #29
linghunter
skunk

YOUR NUT'S!!!

And . Had you put a hook in that guy you may have had to sleep on the water.

Paul
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
lamb

wow, great story.

Great effort Josh - I'm sure it will pay off soon...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #31
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Crazy, awesome, incredible....all that and more. You're really pushing the limits of kayak fishing.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
strackle99
Here fishy, fishy...

That is one helluva paddle/pedal. I keep telling myself I am going to have to get me one of them Hobies. Hmmm
strackle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #33
Shorty

You must be as mad as a cut snake to peddle out that far, keep up the good work

I wonder what the range for a paddle craft is ? Nobody would attempt to paddle that far would they ? I need a beer and a lie down after five miles paddling

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #34
Zed
BANNED

Thanks!
Alright, one more try off DP. Another PB encounter with yft under the dolphin; too close not to go look again.

BTW I'm 0-3, but saw some cool chit. In spite of your report the 50VSW stays home.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #35
LocoKayako

Z,
Let me know when you plan on doing this. I'm game.

gabe
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
tackle dummy
Junior

INCREDIBLE!!! Take a camera with you!
tackle dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
esdees
The Good Clone

Seriously! Time to get a head cam, Josh! That's probably the only way most of us will get to see anything like that. You the man!
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #38
THE DARKHORSE

Seriously....

First the Epirb, then the helmet cam, priorities. I spoke with a friend yesterday about my trip, and he kept saying, "dude, you need a camera". I agree, but in both cases with the jumpers, it was a "get the hell out of the way situation", seriously. Especially with the Swordfish, a truly frightening experience, amazingly beautiful, but an amazing display of power as well (shaking hands, heart in your throat stuff). The idea of pulling the digi out of your pocket, and having to focus according to distance, is really hoping. We all know this from trying to get good whale shots. Whales are huge, and pretty slow, but challenging to photograph, even though they surface over and over, in a predictable direction. If I had my camera ready in hand (on burst mode) I could of got some amazing shots. Especially on the last jumps coming straight for me, as I wouldn't have even had to focus the camera, crazy.

The helmet cam is the only way to go, to capture these rare opportunities. Especially if you consider the amount of work that goes into these trips. I'm out here to catch these fish, and taking a photo is way back on my list of priorities. It's only when you get home, and didn't have a true shot anyway, that you start thinking "man, if I only got some photos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
Seriously! Time to get a head cam, Josh! That's probably the only way most of us will get to see anything like that. You the man!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #39
Dennis

Trip(s) INSANE! Can't wait to see the payoff, Josh.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #40
THE DARKHORSE

Do it for me.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Thanks!
Alright, one more try off DP. Another PB encounter with yft under the dolphin; too close not to go look again.

BTW I'm 0-3, but saw some cool chit. In spite of your report the 50VSW stays home.

We all know about Murphy, and bringing the proper gear almost guarantees you won't see crap. But, please, I'm begging you, I've been kicking myself ever since. It's a horrible feeling, so painful, and listen to all the reports of Marlin within 5 miles. It's not , the fish of a lifetime is waiting for all of us. I'm not special, those fish didn't jump for me. I was just in the right zone, by accident. Why not be prepared, if you choose to go where big fish live? I know, you might feel silly bringing proper gear, but the alternative is much much worse. The guys on the "tin can" were on a 30W with #30 test, baited the fish with a Sardine, and almost got spooled right in front of me (with the aid of an outboard engine). Toriam 20 with a 100 lb Striped Marlin on 40 lb Izorline, sure no problem. A Swordfish of 300 lbs+, dream on.

I hope you don't see one, if just bringing Inshore gear. On the other hand, if you do, plan on regretting your decision for the rest of your life. I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-19-2008 at 12:00 PM.