Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
steveooo

No Bad Days

If you have been fortunate enough to be out on the water recently, you know that mother-nature has been putting on a show with both the Sunrises and Sunsets, and killer conditions.

I was fortunate enough to spend a little time on and near the water recently, which was a welcome break from a hectic few months at work.

Last week I went to Dana with the king of the OC, Rossman. We were treated to a nice sunrise on our way up to North Salt Creek.

Ross was putting on a clinic, and already had 3 sandbass before I even got a bite. When I finally got my bite, it was the bite I was looking for though. Big heavy headshakes, the fish would pull drag at will, and it was HEAVY! After having the fish on for about 30 seconds, Pop! The line went slack. What a heartbreak! To add insult to injury, it was my faulty rigging of the trap rig that had failed. Doh!

After that misfortune, we covered about every square inch of Dana Point on our way back to the harbor, and even fished a bit at Doho for not much else. Only highlight for me was a sculpin that was pretty cool looking. He could win an award for most handsome sculpin of the year

Over the weekend we were invited to stay with some friends at the camp Pendleton Cabins & Campground. This was the view from their cabin as we enjoyed a few beers while watching the sunset. No Photoshop required.

They had the cabin, and gave us the Beach camping site. No complaints on my end.

Here was the view from our tent in the morning.

I surf fished a little over the weekend, but didn’t get to get out as much as I would have liked. With the perfect weather, glassy water, and the birds diving just offshore, al I could think about was getting the yak on the water as soon as possible. Family obligations over the weekend kept me grounded though. That’s why it was a no brainer for me yesterday when I got the text from Andy “Doho Tomorrow?” Yup, That will work.

Met up with Andy at Baby’s Beach. We were treated to a killer sunrise, which made the extra paddle worth it.

Bait was pristine 5-7” sardines. Super healthy bait- I didn’t have a single on roll on me.

Super calm and lazy day. Even the birds couldn’t be bothered to look for bait.

I had a few raked baits, but not much else to show for the morning. I did get a small sand bass pretty early. I really dig their colors and pattern when you pull them right out of the weed beds.

I needed to get to work, so I left Andy on the water. He said the bite turned on after I left, and he got a legal halibut. Whatever. No Pics.

Ultimately there were no big fish landed for all the time I spent out there, but I wouldn’t trade days like these for anything Even the slow days on the water have a way of recharging the battery in a way that nothing else can, and they can really give you an appreciation that there is more to this sport than catching fish (although some fresh halibut sounds tasty right now).

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote