Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

If only it was a Mirage

A mirage is a naturally occurring optical phenomenon in which light rays are bent to produce a displaced image of distant objects or the sky. The word comes to English via the French mirage, from the Latin mirari, meaning "to look at, to wonder at". This is the same root as for "mirror" and "to admire".

As I write this in sadness, I only wish to change my luck around. Here is my story this year...

First off, I have been on a Hobie for about 5 years. I don't get out much in the winter so my first trip was in the middle of May. Looked like a great weekend, surf was pumpin, but the sun was out and looked like a great day. Made it through the surf with a few to the face and....wham, yak started a u-turn right after the last one in the face. Shit bricks for about 15 minutes in the break zone, then finally got back in with the dusty paddle. Rudder pin worked its way out and rusted the end out in the rudder.

Round 2... launched a couple weeks ago and right after the surf, my outhaul breaks, which holds the fin. $4.50, DONE. FL says everything looks good.

The following week I take it out and right in the middle of the surf zone the drive takes a dump and this time its the fin that broke off, or pulled through the fastener. DONE, before I even got started.

Took it to FL and had them go through it and putting new fins on it and tweaking my fin rods straight. They said I'm good to go.

3 hours into my day and at the "corner" 3 miles from beach my drives goes "ffrrrttt" and my fin rod is broken. My 10 speed bike just went into 1st gear

Sorry, just had to vent after another long day. And BTW check out your stuff!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
bwana

Sorry to hear about your consistent bad luck. Maybe it's time to hang a brass bell off your ride to scare off the gremlins. It works on motorcycles.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

WTH, at this point I'll do whatever
Old 06-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Dannowar

Had plenty of those shit luck streaks man. Hang in there, keep your eyes on the prize whether it be yellow, white, or brown, it'll make this all worth it.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Maybe take your stuff somewhere other than FL. Same place + same results = somewhere else

For me anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
OEX Sunset Beach

spare parts kits! Great investment especially when planning vacations!
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

well after I put new rods in it, I'll have a backup rod and fin. What else are common failures? Just curious, if a cable/chain breaks, will you still have 50% movement or are you dead in the water?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
well after I put new rods in it, I'll have a backup rod and fin. What else are common failures? Just curious, if a cable/chain breaks, will you still have 50% movement or are you dead in the water?

idler cable will definitely put you into first gear. grab a spare idler and chain.

ive also had the pin from the pulley wheel pop out. easy fix OFF the water but not very cool a mile out
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
OEX Sunset Beach

Don't forget that spare rudder pin inside the hatch! Buy the kit and add a multi tool and whatever other little parts

OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote