Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Keeping feet warm?

Went out yesterday morning and came back with frozen feet. I just switched over to waders and wasn't used to this. I have been wearing the waders with a tennis shoe that is pretty tight just to protect the booties while paddling around. I guess the wet shoe probably didn't help.

With my paddle pants and booties my feet stayed nice n warm. I saw another thread that looks like people use the mysterioso socks underneath the waders, is this what most people do?

What kind of gloves do you wear? I have some half finger gloves that I got from OEX, but my fingertips were still cold.

Thanks, Eric
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

wool socks keep yer toes toasty, that and a beanie on my melon are the most important for me to stay warm.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

wont water get through the wader booties and on the socks?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Tempest-Kayak-Pants

I picked up above linked pants from Andy a few weeks ago and they work great!
I put on wool socks first than sweats,tempest pants with socks, and finally end with booties. I stay so warm and cozy.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
wont water get through the wader booties and on the socks?
not unless they have a hole, they are meant to keep you completely dry.

The above mentioned Tempest pants as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Regor
Greg

I wore standard socks with my waders yesterday and stayed warm. Of course I was peddling all over the place and getting some exercise (looking for the elusive fish that I heard were in LJ at one time ).

For my hands, I wore some of those gloves that are fabric on the back of the hand side, and some grippy material on the palm side. Kept me warm enough and was able to work the rod/reel. Can't remember where the gloves came from, but some local store, Wally World, Home Depot,,,,

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
Went out yesterday morning and came back with frozen feet. I just switched over to waders and wasn't used to this. I have been wearing the waders with a tennis shoe that is pretty tight just to protect the booties while paddling around. I guess the wet shoe probably didn't help.

With my paddle pants and booties my feet stayed nice n warm. I saw another thread that looks like people use the mysterioso socks underneath the waders, is this what most people do?

Thanks, Eric
I've been looking into getting a pair of waterproof socks. I have seen them on the internet and I bet that would help.

Has anyone used the waterproof socks? I'd like to know the pros and cons to them.

What kind of gloves do you wear? I have some half finger gloves that I got from OEX, but my fingertips were still cold.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I've been looking into getting a pair of waterproof socks. I have seen them on the internet and I bet that would help.

Has anyone used the waterproof socks? I'd like to know the pros and cons to them.

I have the waterproof gloves and socks from REI. Seal Skinz they are called I think. The gloves didnt last long while hooping. They eventually soaked thru and were more of an annoyance than help.

The socks on the other hand have been ok since I wear them over socks and under waders. Keep my feet warm all night. After 4 years the inner lining is starting to break down a bit, but since I wear waders, my feet still say dry. They are more of a second layer of defense than anything. One thing to keep in mind, cotton holds moisture, and when your feet get wet (via sweat) they will get cold no matter how many layers you have on. I like Smart Wool socks, they are not itchy at all.

As far as gloves go, when I hoop at night I only wear them while pulling hoops because they get wet. As soon as I am done pulling, the gloves come off and I dry my hands off with a towel. Keep em dry, keep em warm. I have a pair of nitrile coated gloves, that instead of cotton they are nylon. You can get these at places like home depot. They dry faster since they are nylon versus cotton.

Just my .02
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
jorluivil

This entire hooping season I've been wearing shorts, an undershirt, long sleeve shirt and jacket, long cotton socks, Carhart bibs and plastic fishing boots. On my hands I wear some of the long green plastic kitchen gloves and over that I wear some of the fabric work gloves with the anti slip material on the palm, the brain gets covered with one of those beanies with the ear flaps on the side. I'm 5'11" and weigh 230, I'm sure that my all winter coat is a factor in my not freezing my arse off.

I do with what I have because right now I can't afford the other stuff and its worked for me. You don't have to go out and spend a ton of money that you don't have, get creative. I'm sure at some point I've visit OEX and get that splash jacket and waders with the boot attached but for now I'll have to settle with what I have.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Socks made from polypropylene wick water away from your skin. They are often used in the ski environment. I think you can get gloves made of the same material. You might want to check into these kinds of products.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote