Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
makojim
Junior

Rod building

Here's a question for anybody. I'm building a couple of rods specifically for the kayak. 7' fast action 10 to 20lb.. My question is "What is better grip material EVA or Cork?"

Thanks guys
makojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
T Bone

Cork,but it involves more tools because you stack and glue cork rings and then have to shape the grip from there either by a hand made drill lathe or just by sanding.I made a 12-25# rod and found hypalon in a 3/8 inside diameter so I went with that.I like hypolon.That particular rod was stolen(they will never catch a thing on it)
I havent wrapped a rod in a few years.I may do a 9'er this spring if I get a deal at the fred hall show.Good luck.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

The grip reallydepends on what you intend to use it for. Like stated prior, cork requires more tools. It however is lighter and is ideal for a rod you will be casting for lengthy periods. ie a Calico rod.

I have found hypalon to be easy to work with. (Just a hint that I found out the hard way, spray A LOT of lubricant like silicon spray down the inside of the hypalon before trying to slide it down the blank. you'll thank yourself)

Go to a tackle shop and look at the rods similar to yours. see what you like. For a kayak rod that's mostly for trolling bait, you may prefer the hypalon. EVA is nice to, but I prefer hypalon. And if the shop will let you, I like to take a china marker with to mark their spacing of guides. Less taping and guessing when it comes to the proper spacing.

Also, check out the rod building forum on Bloodydecks. The guys there really helped me out when I was starting to wrap rods.

Good luck and post some pics when its done.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
makojim
Junior

I fish almost exclusively my own built rods and have built a dozen or so. Just finished a sweet 3wt 9' 4 pc. fly rod. My last several boat rods have be cork taped which makes them real light. I have found a textured shrink tube, about 2" id, that I'm going to refurbish and old cork taped jig stick. But thanks for the input.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
fishinkid2010

Sounds good... You ought to post up some pics of your work. I need some inspiration for the graphighter blank I have sitting in my rod rack anyways.
I've wrapped a couple kencor's and calstar's as presents and yak rods. I too prefer the deckhand style cork tape, much lighter and a reel clamp is less of a pain than a reel seat to install. haha not as pretty but it gets the job done.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Siebler

Im a EVA or Cork Tape fan.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
taggermike

I wrapped a Calstar 700L about 5 years ago and just did a deckhand style tuna cord wrap on the handle. It was super cheap and easy and has held up perfectly over the years of hard kayak fishing. At the time I was just being practical, read cheap, but the tuna cord has a great grip on the kayak where your hands are always wet. It cleans up well and if it ever wears out I can replace it in just a few minutes. As my other rod handles have worn out I've replaced the hype or cork tape with tuna cord. The tuna cord doesn't look as nice as hype or cork but it has it's place. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2090003.jpg (62.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg P2090007.jpg (71.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P2090004.jpg (72.5 KB, 125 views)
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

I've been doing more cork on the lighter sticks and hypalon on the heavier.

One thing I learned on an Islander trip is to make at least one of the threads you use metallic/reflective. I did an idiot roll & sent a Graphite USA I built to teh bottom in 105 ft of water. Dive master was able to find it because of the metallic silver I had used.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
SamFisher
Junior

Lots of great info on this website:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

SamFisher
SamFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
T Bone

Cork tape and tuna cord is good for fishing 30# and less.For anyone thats caught a bigger model(I caught a 60# yft on my 800H cork tape wrap)on these grips you know what I am talking about.Cork tape is available 1/16" or 1/8" thick.1/8" covered with X wrap shrink tube would be sweet.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Cork tape and tuna cord is good for fishing 30# and less.For anyone thats caught a bigger model(I caught a 60# yft on my 800H cork tape wrap)on these grips you know what I am talking about.Cork tape is available 1/16" or 1/8" thick.1/8" covered with X wrap shrink tube would be sweet.
With a stiff rod and a nicer 30+ yellow the kayak can cause the same problems since a lot of time you are pulling on the fish for a greater period of time. Ive got a few fish that had me Hurting by the end.

Typically my Jigsticks have Cork Tape (including my YoYo rod). Bait rods have EVA (sometimes also with Xwrap over them to keep the foam nice)

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

When I do use cork tape I double it up. Extra diameter is easier on the hands. I also put a piece of heatshrink where the reel goes to help protect the tape. Guess I'm gonna have to post some pix soon.

Current project is a fairly light Shikari with cork handles & trigger. Four others in variious stages
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
makojim
Junior

Thanks for all the ideas. I have not done a rod with the old school tuna cord but I may give that a shot in the future. I alway load up on rod blanks at the Fred Hall show. Hope to find a deal on a Calstar Grafighter blank. I think I'm going with cork tape and X-wrap for my kayak rod to give me the option of where to mount the reel fro fishing from a sitting position. Once I have that info/experience I can do the next rod in EVA with reel seat.