Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

1.5 Islander Trip 6/17-6/19

I went on the Islander this past weekend....

We headed over to San Clemente Island on Friday night and arrived at China Point in the morning. During our first two hours on the boat most kayak anglers were rigging up their outfits. The more experienced anglers were helping the newbies like myself with knots and what not. Actually, the trip was worth it for me just because I learned a better way to tie the San Diego Jam knot...thanks ful-rac. Right before going to bed the Captain went over the particulars for our next day of fishing. The focus was on safety and how to unload and load the kayaks on the boat. He also mentioned some areas to hit for bass and halibut. After the talk, Kerry Peeler from Bugz Custom Baits gave everyone 1-2 pieces of his custom baits - very cool dude.

I spent the later part of that evening listening to ful-rac, tman, and Ron tell fishing stories. Thanks for the beers tman.

I woke up at 5am and had some pancakes and sausages made by the cook. The morning was somewhat hectic because the kayaks were being set out on the deck and we had to load them. The faster you loaded the yak the sooner you would be on the water.

It was overcast and breezy, which made it a little cold. I got a bass on my first cast near the point, and then picked up two more in the next 30 minutes. None of the bass were big, but I was thinking to myself...it's going to be "on."

I got a lot of short bites that morning, but couldn't get another fish to the kayak. I know I need to be "one" with the kelp, but it was getting me frustrated navigating and fishing in the kelp. The swells were about 2-3 feet, and it made it tricky to get near the boilers. All in all, that morning was slow for me.

At 10am we made a move to the front side of the island near White Rock. We were not allowed to fish from China Point to Pyramid anymore because of some issues with the Navy.

We made a 1 hour move and had an early lunch. We then fished some more bass and looked for some big ole halibut. The area we were dropped off on had a very steep drop off, so we only had 100-200 yards to fish and in some areas it was a lot less.

At about 5pm, the current picked up and in about 40 -50 feet of water I get a nice big thump. I feel the head shakes and know it's a good one. I stick it with the gaff and call the skiff over to pick up the halibut (19lbs). I pin on another sardine and send it back down in the same area and thump number two comes - second halibut (12lbs). I make a second call to the skiff.

I'm fishing with Andrew, "fearnofish," and I tell him to fish this same area. It was a very small pocket of sand surrounded by kelp, so you had to drop your sardine down and bounce several times than reel up, or get hung up by the kelp. Andrew's bait tank died so we got a lively sardine from my bait tank which was low on battery as well. He tried the area as well, but it was a no-go for him.

I drifted one more time over the spot and got my third halibut (8lbs). On the last two halibut there were seals swimming straight towards me, lucky for me Andrew paddled over and did his best to distract them.

I paddled back to the Islander at 7pm. The wind had died down, the sun was setting, the island was to the right, and some dolphins could be seen breaking the surface to my left. I just sat back on my Hobie and took it all in....

The kayakers and crew made the trip a blast. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The crew was top-notch. The loaded/unloaded the kayaks and gear. With a push of a button they were ready to pick up your fish, get more bait, drinks, snacks, etc. Great service...

I would recommend this trip to any newbie....

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Socalrobt

Great job Roby. You killed at the island. Nice fishing with you. Hope to see on a another trip on the Islander. Keep an eye for the Cortez trip. Hopefully that one goes.

Take care.
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
jorluivil

Holy crap!!

Awesome work on the Hali's!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
rooster707

You were definatley on the hot spot! Hell of a trip to nail three halis on the same spot, congrats!
rooster707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
yakrider

dude!
a halibut hat trick!
that's the chit!
nicely done!

man I hate work!
thatnks for reminding me why I work so hard!
awesome!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Roby, you are an ANIMAL!

Congratulations on the nice halibut. 3 in a row? Way to go!

Now quit playing around with the "little" guys and lets go catch some KEEPERS!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report and good job on the three butts in a row.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
tagyak

hey roby, matts right. lets head out to get some of the'm big ones.

nice halis, am sure it made your day
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah it was a great trip! NIce to fish with everyone! Rob did an awsome job on those halibut, those pictures do not do those fish any justice...they were really nice fish! Always a pleasure fish'n with you roby! Hopefully we'll get back out there soon!

Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
JoeBeck

Fresh fish! Nice job, those trips are fun, makes me want to book one. Typically good fishing out there.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
fearnofish

Definately a great trip. I got to See Rob's grin first hand when he caught all three of them. He was doin a well deserved dance on the kayak. Glad I got to be a part of it. Lots of fun, great trip and good people! Cool meeting everyone.
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Definitely a fun trip, met some cool peeps to put names to.

Have some pics to post later, nothing as good as Roby's though, he being the jackpot winner. Hali slayer indeed.

Cap't and crew were excellent, From Jason handing over the wheel to Clay, to the always at your needs deckhands, Travis, Alex, Billy, Jack and Gringo...

Best crew on a boat I have ever had the pleasure of hanging with by far.

We will be saving the dollars for next years trip...to quote one who outfished me,

"I love this boat, I love this crew, I love this Captain, and I love this place."

Ya, we will be back on board...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
bluesquids

Great time as always...like friggin Glen Ivy for dudes...just wish it didn't go by so fast.

I speared my personal best calico at 8.95lbs.(Certified Scale at James&Joesph on Harbor island).
I don't usually take calico, but this guy will save many fish under his weight as I will stalk and pass on many trying to top him in the years to come.
If you guys enjoy fishing these guys you should try hunting them sometime...I think since they are such highly developed predators they use those same skills to avoid danger. In other words they are sneaky little bastards.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
I don't usually take calico, but this guy will save many fish under his weight as I will stalk and pass on many trying to top him in the years to come.
if you are going to top this one, you better get a bigger ice chest
that is a big fat boy there, having that tecate next to it really says alot congrats
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Someone is stoked....

Took a while to coax him into holding the flatties all at once...

The Captain checking for marks...

Found what he was looking for...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 06-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
Socalrobt

Great pic Tman. Your son did a great job driving the boat!
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
DESTROYER

I love that boat!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
aftahour

awsome report and pics...
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote