Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Hobie input...

While contemplating my next sleigh, I can't help but wonder..... do those silly Hobies have enough room for my 6'4" long legged frame? Seems it would be hard on my knees to stay bent all the time. The drive system seems a little flaky as well, as two drive systems broke on the Catapalooza 08 trip. Any thoughts? Pros or cons?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
dorado50

Perhaps if you went down and tested one on the water you may have a better idea as to this kayaks functions , etc... A pedal hobie my be the answer to relieving shoulder and arm fatigue....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
bearlythere

Ive got a few yaks and I like my hobie....I like to switch up though give the arms a work out one day then the legs another....Although i only hoop from the x-factor...Like its already been said....try them out and you will know. As far as the drive systems being flacky. dont know about that, I have had mine for about 2 years now without a hint of a problem and im pretty rough with it... i wonder if those folks rinse there gear....The major differnece is the superior ablility to drink a frost cold one on the way out to the fishing grounds...
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
While contemplating my next sleigh, I can't help but wonder..... do those silly Hobies have enough room for my 6'4" long legged frame? Seems it would be hard on my knees to stay bent all the time. The drive system seems a little flaky as well, as two drive systems broke on the Catapalooza 08 trip. Any thoughts? Pros or cons?
I think some of the drive issues have been resolved. Some people were having problems when they used the turbo fins. The fins were exerting too much force on the drive and it resulted in failures where a metal pin fit into a plastic adjustment hole

The problem was exacerbated by not clearing debris from the hole prior to installation. From what I saw on some of the Australian forums, this problem was corrected with a new metal fitting that protects the holes. Check with a dealer before you dismiss Hobies altogether. Fastlane in San Diego and OEX in Oceanside can probably give you the full details and set the record straight.

I'm not a big fan of Hobies, but they do have some significant advantages over traditional yaks. It would be best to try one out before you completely write them off.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
mg2969

I'm 6 ft and 235lbs
I luv my revolution

The pedals on the fins are adjustable

Regarding the drive unit
I don't think they're flaky. I think they're mechanical.
and anything mechanical which involves motion wears out.

My only negative comment about Hobie would be the warranty.
Specifically the length
from their website
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index.html

"All hulls are covered for a period of two years.
Mirage Drive (pedal system) is covered for a period of one year."

I think when you consider the possibilities of failure
and the idea that your paying probably double, a longer lasting warranty
should be considered.

I believe Malibu and Cobra, as examples, offer lifetime warranties.
Ocean Kayak has a 3 year warranty.

my 2 cents
MikeG

mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I'm 6'3 and I'm totally comfortable in mine. The Mirage Drive holds up fine when you take care of it.

Come on by and try one at sometime. I'm here 7 days a week and would be happy to let you demo some boats.

OEX Oceanside
236 S. Coast Hwy
Oceanside, Ca 92054

760-721-6195

- Nate
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Mike McFann
Junior

I admit that I was one of the catapalooza drive destroyers and it was all on me. I got pushed back inshore during launch and instead of unhooking my paddle, I tried to paddle surge out and was too shallow. The fins completely buckled but the system remained healthy.

It just cost me the turbo fin replacement to repair. Just got back from a day in wind and large swell outside of newport and the drive is as good as new. No input on the height as I am only 5-6. But it makes trolling simple with the drive system.

2 cents
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

I thought you were a MTB'er, handyman.

Just a thought, but, if you paddled a more efficient yak, you might have a revelation. Then you can go pedal your bike.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Craig jones

Faster

I know that I have to work pretty hard to do 4 mph on my xtreme and they claim to cruise at 6 mph, thats about 50% faster.
Craig jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Rinse the drive with fresh water after use, and spray the chain
down with WD40. 2 years and no problems so far.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
FISHIONADO

What's up Chuck? I bought an Outback so I could fish a couple weeks after my quad bypass in 2006, I didn't want to rip open my sternum paddling. The Outback is absolutely great for bays, not so good at La Jolla. I haven't tried them but the Revolution and Adventure seem better for La Jolla.

I was out about 2.5 miles miles one day when the drive came apart. A set screw had come loose and I didn't have a hex wrench with me. I was able to tighten it slightly with my long nose pliers and it would hold for about a 1/4 mile before coming loose again. I would suggest bringing the right size hex wrench for the drive and a phillips screwdriver and extra cord for the rudder cables. Otherwise the drive was very cool, I did 12 miles at San Diego bay about 4 weeks after my surgery.

But where would you put a 50# fish?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I would suggest bringing the right size hex wrench for the drive and a phillips screwdriver and extra cord for the rudder cables.
I really do not like the idea of having to carry x-tra equipment in case my sleigh breaks down. I understand it may be prudent with the Hobies, but not necessary with other yaks. Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
But where would you put a 50# fish?
Dunno.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I thought you were a MTB'er, handyman.

Just a thought, but, if you paddled a more efficient yak, you might have a revelation. Then you can go pedal your bike.
That's ex-MTB'er... no one is as out of shape as an ex-MTB'er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McFann View Post
I admit that I was one of the catapalooza drive destroyers and it was all on me.
That is part of my concern... I am not always paying attention to things like that either, and to think I could probably ruin numerous sets before learning not to do it.

Thanks for everyones input! It is exactly what I was looking for..... some of my concerns seem to be founded, and others alleviated. Leaving me in my same, normal, state of confusion! But I have to admit that being able to visit the "9s" is definitely an attribute my current ride would be extremely hard pressed to do!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
glenniesan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlythere View Post
...The major differnece is the superior ablility to drink a frost cold one on the way out to the fishing grounds...
Ha ha I love it... and I imagine that IS a nice luxury coupled with your molded beer... er CUP holders.
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Ed
Fringe Head

I have never had a problem with my drive, ever. It will work just fine if you don't abuse the crap out of it. Besides, my Adventure with no drive still paddles better than a lot of the pig SOTs out there so what have you got to lose?. I really advise that you try one before you let someone else talk you out of it. Trust me, Hobie owners aren't the people that bad mouth Hobies. I can go all day and not get tired. Also, I can have 2 live baits out trolling and be casting iron while enjoying a beer. Yeah, that's right.

Ed
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
dorf

I am 6'3" and 225 lbs. I take my 2 boys out with me all of the time so the stability question is answered there. The only thing that can be a problem is losing the Mirage drive as you may have already read a few posts about. I keep mine in and am careful not to run it aground when I come in. Having the drive gets you through the surf at LJ much faster and easier than without. I power through the surf. Sure I might get a little splash in the face but it is better than being dump on your side.

See the boys down at Fastlane and take one for a spin. If and when you decide to try one out try to do it on a day when the current is rip’n and the wind is blow’n so you can compare with your own ride. You will see what an advantage the mirage drive is.

Good luck in your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yak1.JPG (12.9 KB, 455 views)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post

See the boys down at Fastlane
Doesn't one of the OEX shops carry Hobie?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post
Doesn't one of the OEX shops carry Hobie?

I don't know 'bout that, but I drove by a kayak shop at 236 South Coast Highway in Oceanside last week and they had all sorts of Hobie kayaks. You might want to check them out.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
One Rev

I think I know that place. I went to a taco/car wash place at that same address, some guy in a light blue shirt out back was cooking em up and half neked wimmin washing cars, inside the building I saw a bunch of Hobie kayaks stored away. I don't know if they will sell you one though, everyone was so focused on the tacos/car wash.

One Rev
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Rev View Post
I think I know that place. I went to a taco/car wash place at that same address, some guy in a light blue shirt out back was cooking em up and half neked wimmin washing cars, inside the building I saw a bunch of Hobie kayaks stored away. I don't know if they will sell you one though, everyone was so focused on the tacos/car wash.

One Rev
Mike,

Its almost time for another Fish Taco Bikini Car Wash

I'll call the girls..you call Tommy Gomes
Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Also, I can have 2 live baits out trolling and be casting iron while enjoying a beer. Yeah, that's right.
I'm picturing you with one of those helmets with two beers and straws, Ed.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote