Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
BenCantrell

Florida 9th report - paddle down river

Not the most exciting report, but here's the latest update from me. We didn't get on the water in February, but we made it happen in March. Ally and I launched on the St Sebastian River from the same boat ramp as last August.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=36534

This time we headed downstream. We noticed that the banks were primarily mangroves, whereas upstream there had been a lot more diversity of trees. I guess the boat ramp must be the transition from fresh to salt.

We saw a surprising number of gators in the first mile, which was mildly concerning. After that we didn't see any more. I trolled a small Yo-zuri and an X-rap 10. Only the smaller lure got hit.

Further downstream I stopped to adjust something, and a ladyfish hit the Yo-zuri while it was floating on the surface. It jumped several times on the way in.

As the sun got higher in the sky the bite turned off. We fished the pilings of a railroad bridge but didn't catch anything.

One of the cool finds were some shallow scallop beds. They had small predators pushing bait schools against them. Fishing them was almost impossible though as you would instantly snag the scallop shells. Something small and topwater would work great.

Ally busted out some frozen shrimp to avoid the skunk. She caught a pair of mangrove snapper and a small red drum.

We had a good paddle, but for the fishing to be better we probably should have launched at sunrise rather than waiting a few hours. Sunset would have been good too I'm sure.

Miles: 7.67
Hours: 4:23

I can't wait to get back on the ocean. The water should be warming up nicely. This is the windy season though, so it's tough to find a good day.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Looks like an enjoyable day. Cool that you were there for the train transit over the bridge. I bet you would have caught more Ladyfish and Jackcravelle had you gone earlier. There are certain areas where they are annoying off the beaches while trying to sabiki bait before sunrise. Thanks for the report.

This winter has been windier. I made it out mid-last week for short mutton and triggerfish -- super slow. A few yakkers hit it Saturday for a Cuda, missed Sailfish, and one hard-earned catch.
Attached Images

JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:10 AM   #3
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I made it out mid-last week for short mutton and triggerfish -- super slow. A few yakkers hit it Saturday for a Cuda, missed Sailfish, and one hard-earned catch.
Hard earned catch indeed! That's awesome.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Cool adventure.👍🏻
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote