View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Don't sell yourself short, little lady...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
palomar knot
if u just learn one knot
thats the one to learn

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/h...fishing-knots/
this is a great resource for trying to learn it on ure own

the second would be the dropper loop

I'm 100% confident, that in five minutes, you can learn to tie a knot that's of equal or greater strength than your hubbies. No doubt! Without selecting a knot for you, there's only one rule with tying a knot: A knot's either perfect or it's not. Learn what a perfect knot looks like and you're set. And never settle for a knot that, "kinda", looks right!

I've been tying the same knot since I was four years old. There's knots with higher breaking strength, but I continue to tie my knot of choice for a few reasons: For one, like I said, it's the same knot I've tied since I was a child. It's caught thousands of fish; so why change now? Secondly, it's very easy to tell if this knot is perfect---or not. The site above has my knot of choice listed as the, "half blood knot". Simply wrap the line six times and pass it back through the eye of the knot, lube with saliva (the most important part), and gingerly synch the knot until it's tight. Go ahead and give this knot a solid pull, though. As it's prone to slip if you don't. Never push the knot down with your fingers, though. It should synch down perfectly on it's own. If it doesn't, you're not handling the line properly. Like anything in life tying a good knot requires a bit of practice. If it looks machined down, "perfect", when you're done then it's good to go.

My advice is to go a step further, though: re-spool that reel with spectra and go drag a Greenback Mackerel around in local waters. When your hubby gets home and sees the giant ice-chest you had to buy from Costco---to fit that massive White Sea Bass---guaranteed happy marriage for life.

Or, he'll blow a gasket and never let you fish with him again.