View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
THE DARKHORSE

I'm not going to cry over spilled milk......

But, I know exactly what company I will continue to purchase bait from, and it's not Everingham.

Great points Doug, and It's quite obvious the bait barge wasn't created for the kayak community, and without the sporties they wouldn't even exist. That being said, to say it's not worth their time, and they aren't able to make a profit off us, is complete . $10 for 5 Sardines, wow I made $100 worth of bait at the pier yesterday in ten minutes, and how many guys use a Plano bait bucket (less than 1% of the kayak community)? Irony, the fact that the giant Yellowtail bite that has been going off up north has died down, after the bait boat has wrapped and raped that area for a month now, is pretty funny. I had a conversation about a month ago with the Everingham guys, and they told me the reason for the 100% mark-up from the previous kayak scoop of $5 in May was for gas. I had to call him out, as I knew exactly where the 8" Sardines came from, and it doesn't take too much gas to go to Blacks Beach . Now charging $25, and not even allowing a "kayak scoop" is ridiculous, period.

I don't think losing "all the kayak business" will affect them at all, but unless we made a serious dent in the bait supply, and causing a shortage for the sporties (impossible), this is a lose-lose situation. I only buy bait when heading inshore/offshore, leaving in the middle of the knight to maybe make it to the zone by morning, since making proper bait in the dark or well offshore is....well not realistic. If anything, they will only hurt their own employees, as I won't be able to be as genorous ($4 tip for $10 kayak scoop) when paying $27 for a Coors Light, robbery .