View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Maybe different, not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Thanks BJ...I plan to try the Revo also. Just wanted to start at the top. Anyone have any other input on why the Revo might be "better" than the Adventure?

Coming from an X-Factor myself, I freaked with the Hobie Outback first time out. I was aware of the specs, with the Outback being the most stable and slowest out of the Hobie fleet. This was the reason for my surprise, when I noticed the speed with little effort neccisary on the "slower one". This coupled with the fact that the demo I was on had stock fins .

In answer to your question, I find the Revolution to simply be "different" from the Adventure, as both are awesome kayak options. I think you will find the Revo to be a "less wet ride" all around. Less wet in the seat and very dry in the back, even with a bait tank. If you want X-Factor dry (I like), try the Outback.

I noticed you wearing shorts though, and I'm aware it's summer with water temps around 70, but for years I wear waders (breathable) "year round". I'm not trying to change anyone, so please wear your favorite board shorts and bronze all you want. I like to fish until I catch my target species (90% of the time Yellowtail), and this may take "all day". I've learned to pace myself over the years, and enjoy the whole greylight to greylight experience. I never look at it as some kind of grueling, painful, oh why can't I get bit, damn Yellowtail, way of thought (more of a free overnight trip). Putting a giant puzzle together takes time, gathering information and finding clues along the way is key. Especially if you are fishing once a week, and don't have a whole team of guys giving you information from previous days. I don't know about you, but twelve hours of sun on my white thighs is no bueno, especially if I'm going fishing the next day. I would have an endless cycle of burnt skin, which only makes me more hot, not to mention a rashy rear end, no bueno. My point, I kinda like the wet seat effect coupled with the waders, as it's a much cooler, comfortable ride all day. Not to mention, dry clothes underneath, no swamp crotch, no burnt skin, no Mackerel goop on my legs, or fish blood on my clothes, I like. I wore waders during all day sessions on the X-Factor too, and almost died from heat stroke while paddling, mucho effort. With the Mirage Drive, I pretty much never break a sweat, even on the hot days. Drag your hands in the water behind you, and you have air conditioning too. One good tip with the pedals for your next trip, use quick little strokes in just the middle portion of the full pedal range, as apposed to a full stroke from front to back. Just because the Ferrari tops out around 190 mph, just go the speed limit, and let me know how the legs feel after.