View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #13
THE DARKHORSE

Personal preference......

What first comes to mind is "how do you have an exact experiment of speed in an environment that is well....not under control.....and more importantly measure....effort output"? Atleast this was my first thought when I read this original post.

I can only speak from my own experience, and say the Revo is way faster than the Outback. From the getting up on plane, to the cutting through chop, and especially when considering thinking of stamina neccisary to keep up that pace for hours on end (like a 12 mile sprint). I can understand, if somehow Paul kept up a 4 mph average with the Outback, but "I" didn't keep up that pace (that's pretty fast for the Outback). I will agree with the just over 4 mph average with the Revolution though (with less effort).

The most important factor "for me" is the effort neccisary to keep up that pace, and even faster at times (bird schools). I think you may have similar speeds with both models "in flat calm conditions", but the effort neccisary with the Revo is close to half compared to the Outback, and the Revo is at least 30% faster in choppy conditions (look at the bow and hull design). To paddlers out there, don't get it twisted, as the effort neccisary for a pedal kayak compared to a paddle kayak....is well...not exactly "apples to apples". A pedal kayak requires "probably" less than half the effort compared to a paddle kayak, and "maybe even less" (I'm no scientist ). This becomes obvious on hot days as I rarely even break a sweat anymore, even in hot pursuit, and I wear waders year round.

Honesty though, for the typical La Jolla angler (and most any angler on the coast), who travels less than 8 miles a day, the Outback has plenty of speed compared to a paddle kayak (with obviously plenty of stability ta' boot). For those with inshore/offshore aspirations, or those with no stamina and maybe a heart condition or just plain lazy , consider the Revo or Adventure. Again, "I can only speak from my own experience", and say you will notice the difference in speed, and if not check the GPS (keep in mind the GPS isn't all that accurate when measuring low speeds).

For those who are thinking about expanding their range, the Revo or Adventure will surprise you in a long hall, especially in windy choppy conditions with "river like current". Consider the typical California day : glassy conditions early, with increased wind around 10:00 a.m, and a wind momentum through the afternoon, then a late afternoon decrease in wind again. On my long range trips so far (longest over 40 miles), I keep a pace of close to 2.8 mph on my way offshore (much less than the original posters 4+ mph average), to save energy and chase porps, and to make sure I leave something in the tank for the ride home. After 5 hours of a near non-stop pace I'm 14 miles inshore/offshore and "barely break a sweat" on a typical cloudy 65 degree morning, with the Revolution. Getting to the zone is only half the battle, and the search for signs of life takes over. Unless I see something, I keep heading offshore. Of course, you have to do the math sooner or later, and ask yourself "how long is it going to take to make it home"? This is the cool part: With the Revo, I can "ride the swells" with the aid of the "typical afternoon wind", and reach speeds of 7 mph, and occasionaly a little faster. No, I can't hold a 7 mph average, but I can hold an average of close to 6 mph "with little effort". The sad part of it is, this is usually the highlight of my trip after not catching my tartget species (pretty fun). This is where I make up a lot of time, and how a 40 mile trip is possible in a day from a kayak (without killing yourself). Even if you can keep up a 5 mph average "with the wind at your back" (with little effort), those last 4 hours cover 20+ miles. On a windy afternoon, making the crossing from the local islands home would be cake. My first couple of trips I was pretty nervous doing the math , wondering if I was going to make it back by dark, but I'm always amazed how fast I make it home.

To make things clear, I'm not trying to get people to go buy a Hobie, or most importantly get people in over their head going inshore/offshore. I'm only sharing "my opinion", and I respect Paul's original post for his. I know for a fact these inshore/offshore trips will be common place in years to come, as soon as people experience it for themselves. Consider the price of gas and mothership trips $$$, with spectacular sportfishing at our fingertips, the sport will evolve beyond our "current comfort zone".

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 09-26-2008 at 07:39 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote