Thread: Summer's here!
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Summer's here!

As much as I hate fishing the weekends, you do what you gotta' do. Ya' know, sometimes---Work sucks! And thanks to the lack of fishing reports, Saturday looked like a Tuesday---only a few boats spread out over miles and miles of empty coastline. Beyond the zoo at the launch, Just beautiful conditions. After May Grey turned into June Gloom and July followed suit (for the first time in my life), I was beginning to worry about August. Having a career that revolves around the sun, it's a real love/hate relationship. The obvious Cancer threat reminds me to load up on sunscreen and wear a wide brimmed hat. Long sleeved white shirts and a popped collar help, too.

This is something you might not think about when it's overcast and cloudy for months, but believe me, you get the same UV rays in these conditions. If not more so. More importantly, for Yellowtail specifically, the sun is key. Obviously Yellowtail are caught in overcast, grey and windy, conditions, too. But, along with bait-rich, clear water the Sun is often the missing link to success. This doesn't mean it's wide-open when ever there's sun, but it certainly increases your odds in most cases.

In essence, a change is in the air. After having three sunny days in three months I believe we're taking a turn in the right direction. Weather wise anyway. And for lack of a better phrase, Summer's here!

It's nice not having to use the flash for fish photos, too.
I also stumbled on Yellowtail Friday, Saturday (the Yellowtail in the picture), took Sunday off, caught Yellowtail again Monday and more big-Yellowtail on Tuesday.

As always, if you're the type who waits on reports of good fishing---you're blowing it---Again!