Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Irvine lake - Camping good for kids?

Want to get some feedback from the people who go there?

So i pulled this information from the website:

[B]Camping Fees:
$25.00 per campsite per night (up to 4 people per site) plus your fishing fees per person per day or day use pass per person per day.
Fishing Fees:
$22.00 per Adult per day.
$11.00 per Child per day (4-12 years of age)
$19.00 per Senior per day (62 & over) Monday – Thursday only
$8.00 per per person day use pass (if not fishing)
$ 5 dollars to launch a kayak
$10 Boat slip rental per night (subject to weather conditions)
$5.00 per Dog per day. (Must be on a leash at all times, may not ride in rental boats, and may not be left unattended at campsites.

So if I was going to Camp there for 2 nights and I am bringing my 2 year old son my 3.5 year daughter and my wife. I would have to pay?

$50 dollars for the camp site
$22.00 for one adult to fish
$8.00 if my wife wants to kayak
$5 dollar to launch one kayak
$0.00 to take my three year old fishing

For people who have camped there, is it loud at night full of drunks or is it family safe and friendly or does it get like Yosemite loud and and bunch of drunks with people playing there music loud. How are the campsites?

What are the limits there? I believe 5 is the limit.

With this in mind for all of you with family and kids where a very good spot to camp and go fishing with the kayak and is safe and kid friendly and not to far away from Los Angeles about an hour to two hour drive?

From all the good reports i been thinking of camping over at Irvine Lake.

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-26-2011 at 10:00 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
ericko

ful-rac should be able to tell you..i believe he's camped out before..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
ship 4 brains

Two buddies of mine took our boys camping there recently. It was great, very peaceful. We didn't hear a peep at night.

The kids all caught limits of trout @ 5 each.

Great time for kids and dads.

ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
gupppy

i went there two weekends ago. skunked. my cousin caught a few crappies though (C&R). i was told shore fishing is real slow, despite their online fishing report stating it's average. however, maybe it's picked up.
i didn't camp there, but it seemed peaceful when i arrived (shortly before 6). i believe march and april, launching yaks/float tubes are free.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Irvine is good been camping there a few times. Prado is a good choice too. they have Showers (takes quarters) and electrical hook ups. There is also a Kids play area that is a water play area, so if its hot and they are bored they can go play in the water.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Want to get some feedback from the people who go there?

For people who have camped there, is it loud at night full of drunks or is it family safe and friendly or does it get like Yosemite loud and and bunch of drunks with people playing there music loud. How are the campsites?

With this in mind for all of you with family and kids where a very good spot to camp and go fishing with the kayak and is safe and kid friendly and not to far away from Los Angeles about an hour to two hour drive?

From all the good reports i been thinking of camping over at Irvine Lake.
Wiredancer,
Check out my post.. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...84&postcount=1
The first picture shows that we are launching at an actual campsite. Very easy access. I didn't camp there, but this is where I would take my family camping. After a full day of fishing/catching we came back to the same spot to haul-out. I noticed campers at the adjacent campsites with nice-big warm fires going and a friendly atmosphere and the smell of Beef on their outdoor BBQ . I didn't see any issues or hear loud noises etc. but anyone can camp there and there are rules to follow to make sure that everyone has a good time. In the morning, a food golf/cart comes around to cater food and you can always go eat at the on-site cafe. Pm me if you need more info.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
fishinkid2010

Nice post, looks like yall had fun!
Great picture too! the only way it could get better would be to loose that Longhorns shirt.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Some quick thoughts about camping at Irvine...

1) It's possible to pick "any" camping spot at Irvine. For example, if you want to fish the Kid's Lagoon you can camp there. Or if you want to fish the Flats, you can camp there as well. The staff will move a fire pit to your campsite. At the moment, campers are staying at Woody's Cove because of the water level.

* If I was camping, I would stay at the Kid's Lagoon (if there is space along the shoreline right now). They just had a "Kiddie Pole" tournament there and many decent sized trout did not get caught.

* Bring your own shade.

* Bring equipment to stake your gear down. It gets very windy at Irvine.

* Call Irvine Lake before you go and check out the conditions and ask if they are having any "events" at the lake. Often times Irvine will have concerts, bass tournaments, 100s of Scouts, etc. at the lake.

2) The morning water temperature at Irvine is roughly 65 degrees and after 11 the water temp is 70; it's only getting hotter at the Vine. If you do go, fish as early as you can. If possible have downriggers or leadcore for trolling. Or target catfish/bass/crappie.

3) Leash all your gear on the yak - the surf is wicked this time of year. And for crying out loud use braid when you are near the kelp....

4) As for other locations to spend time with your family:

* I would go to Huntington Beach for the whole day. First, get there early and get a nice spot with a fire pit. Then go and have fun at the beach and surf fish for perch and halibut. Last, go back to the fire pit and roast hot dogs and make Smores.

* If you really want trout, I would try Big Bear Lake. The evening temps are cold for young children to camp, so you can rent a cabin if the price is right.

Good luck...

Last edited by roby; 04-27-2011 at 09:35 PM.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
T-Rex

I've never camped there, but I live nearby and take my kids fishing there on a pretty regular basis. Always found it to be really quiet when I've been catfishing there at night.

You're right about the 5 fish limit, but they usually stock it with good sized fish... 5-10 lb trout are common. Trolling Berkley Frenzy's / Rapalas works well from the yak for the bigger models.
They also let you pay extra if you want to keep additional fish.

If your kids or wife get tired of fishing, there is also Irvine Regional Park only about 5 minutes away. They offer children's pony rides, train rides, bike rentals, paddlboat rentals, several playgrounds and a zoo.

Good luck!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
If your kids or wife get tired of fishing, there is also Irvine Regional Park only about 5 minutes away. They offer children's pony rides, train rides, bike rentals, paddlboat rentals, several playgrounds and a zoo.

Good luck!
you gotta pay to get back in this is why we went to prado

http://irvinelake.net/irv/viewtopic.php?t=15

We have a no re-entry policy

All guests, family and friends visiting campsites for day use or for evening dinners are also required to pay admission fees (NO EXCEPTIONS)

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote