Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Jim Sammons LJKF

Proposed changes in Bass regulations

Did any of you in CA get the new proposed regulations on Kelp, Sand and Spotted bass from the Fish and Game commission? I just got it in the mail.

Most anglers I know supports some changes to protect these species, but also most anglers I know would like to see a slot limit to protect the bigger fish. A slot limit is not even given as an option, they simply want to increase the size limit and lower the bag limit, and add a closed season on Sand bass.
Do these people not understand the fishery or these fish, OK I know, stupid question. I am all for the lower bag limit but adding a slot limit will do so much more for this fishery than an increased size limit.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I am all for the lower bag limit but adding a slot limit will do so much more for this fishery than an increased size limit.
X2!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Drake

The guys over a BD must be wetting their pants over the proposed protection of the bass, but I do agree with preserving the species. A slot limit sounds a lot more practical as well.

The size limit on Fluke in New York has be getting so high the past 3 years that most anglers don't even bother anymore, because it's really impractical. 1 in 85 fluke might be a keeper. Meanwhile commercial boat (not commercial harvesting) but recreational charters limits are 14" smaller than a rec angler. A slot limit would keep interest in the sport, but continue to protect the species
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Most anglers I know supports some changes to protect these species, but also most anglers I know would like to see a slot limit to protect the bigger fish.

Do these people not understand the fishery or these fish, OK I know, stupid question. I am all for the lower bag limit but adding a slot limit will do so much more for this fishery than an increased size limit.
effin A cotton....effin a.

Jim, can you tell me where to sign up for these emails?
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Jim Sammons LJKF

This was not in an email but in hard copy mail.
There will be a meeting in Ventura on August 8th in which interested parties can presents statments.
450 E Harbor Blvd.
Ventura, CA

Or you can email your statement to FGC@fgc.ca.gov

At this point I can't find anything on the Fish and game site about this.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2012/index.aspx
JimSammons.com
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

Not that I think it will do any good but this is the email I just sent them.

My name is Jim Sammons, I am a kayak fishing guide in San Diego and the host of two TV shows airing on NBC sports and The World Fishing network. I have been a angler in Southern California for over 40 years.

This morning I received the proposed regulation changes for Kelp, Sand and Spotted bass and I must say I was disappointed in what I saw. I am a huge proponent of changing the current regulations on these fish but I really think the commission is missing the boat on this one.

Like myself, most anglers I know, support some changes to protect these species, but also most anglers I know would like to see a slot limit to protect the bigger fish. A slot limit is not even given as an option, they simply want to increase the size limit and lower the bag limit, and add a closed season on Sand bass.

I am all for the lower bag limits but adding a slot limit will do so much more for this fishery than an increased size limit.

For my shows I travel and fish all over the world and have seen first hand how well slot limits work. You need go no further than the East Coast of the US to see how well it has worked on muliple species there.

It is a fact that the larger fish produce more eggs thereby increasing the population, just raising the size limit does nothing other than allow people to remove the larger fish which produce the most eggs. A slot limit protects the larger fish, increasing the eggs deposited but also will give anglers the chance to catch and release much bigger fish and really get a trophy bass.

Most of the guys I know and fish with practice this anyway but by making this a regulation it will force the people that tend to over harvest, or that simply don’t understand the importance of the larger fish, to practice catch and release of these larger breeding fish.

Please consider adding a slot limit to the new regulations, I think you will be amazed at the support you will get from the fishing community. A community that honestly has little faith in the Fish and Game Commission after the hammering we took in the MLPA process.

Jim Sammons
JimSammons.com
Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
JeffB

I agree, I really wish they would put a slot limit on them. They should allow fish from like 14"-18" and then one over 22" everything in between has to be thrown back with a 3-5 bag limit. They practice this a lot of the big bass lakes I fish and TX resulting in monsters. I'm sure it would work the same for saltwater as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Not that I think it will do any good but this is the email I just sent them.

My name is Jim Sammons, I am a kayak fishing guide in San Diego and the host of two TV shows airing on NBC sports and The World Fishing network. I have been a angler in Southern California for over 40 years.

This morning I received the proposed regulation changes for Kelp, Sand and Spotted bass and I must say I was disappointed in what I saw. I am a huge proponent of changing the current regulations on these fish but I really think the commission is missing the boat on this one.

Like myself, most anglers I know, support some changes to protect these species, but also most anglers I know would like to see a slot limit to protect the bigger fish. A slot limit is not even given as an option, they simply want to increase the size limit and lower the bag limit, and add a closed season on Sand bass.

I am all for the lower bag limits but adding a slot limit will do so much more for this fishery than an increased size limit.

For my shows I travel and fish all over the world and have seen first hand how well slot limits work. You need go no further than the East Coast of the US to see how well it has worked on muliple species there.

It is a fact that the larger fish produce more eggs thereby increasing the population, just raising the size limit does nothing other than allow people to remove the larger fish which produce the most eggs. A slot limit protects the larger fish, increasing the eggs deposited but also will give anglers the chance to catch and release much bigger fish and really get a trophy bass.

Most of the guys I know and fish with practice this anyway but by making this a regulation it will force the people that tend to over harvest, or that simply don’t understand the importance of the larger fish, to practice catch and release of these larger breeding fish.

Please consider adding a slot limit to the new regulations, I think you will be amazed at the support you will get from the fishing community. A community that honestly has little faith in the Fish and Game Commission after the hammering we took in the MLPA process.

Jim Sammons
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

Those sizes sound about right though I would not allow the over 22" you are mentioned. That would get people illegally upgrading fish. They get a second fish bigger than their first over 22 then they toss back the smaller of the two, even if already dead. Just so they can keep the bigger fish.

A straight slot would work best, I think
JimSammons.com
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
PapaDave

Quote:
Those sizes sound about right though I would not allow the over 22" you are mentioned. That would get people illegally upgrading fish. They get a second fish bigger than their first over 22 then they toss back the smaller of the two, even if already dead. Just so they can keep the bigger fish.

A straight slot would work best, I think
I would agree to a change like this, an 18" Calico is a good catch.

But I do have to say that if the slot aspect didn't go through that I would welcome the proposed changes as at least a step in the right direct.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

I believe if the Fish and Game commission had any common sense at all, they would have imposed a slot on not only the saltwater bass species, but the large and small mouth freshwater cousins as well, along time ago. I have been saying this for a long time, it worked in TX and other states, which is where the big models reside.
Now I am using the term "common sense" very loosely here as we are talking about California and Commissions, hopefully they will figure this out sooner than later, without making a big mess of things.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
SoCalCJ

Amen Jim, a slot limit is long overdue! I hope you letter has some sort of impact on the commission.
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCJ View Post
Amen Jim, a slot limit is long overdue! I hope you letter has some sort of impact on the commission.
I fear my letter will mean very little, what is needed is for everyone to write a letter.
JimSammons.com
Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Drake

Quote:
I fear my letter will mean very little, what is needed is for everyone to write a letter.
Jim, I wouldn't sell yourself short. A letter from an avg person might mean nothing, but someone in your position, with your kind of influence will absolutely get them to sit down in the office and at least look it over.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I agree, I really wish they would put a slot limit on them. They should allow fish from like 14"-18" and then one over 22" everything in between has to be thrown back with a 3-5 bag limit. They practice this a lot of the big bass lakes I fish and TX resulting in monsters. I'm sure it would work the same for saltwater as well.
I like this.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
roadx

ok stupid question

does bigger fish produce more? if not, why a slot limit? bag limit and raising minimum size would seem more effective.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
It is a fact that the larger fish produce more eggs thereby increasing the population, just raising the size limit does nothing other than allow people to remove the larger fish which produce the most eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
ok stupid question

does bigger fish produce more? if not, why a slot limit? bag limit and raising minimum size would seem more effective.
yes
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
My name is Jim Sammons, I am a kayak fishing guide in San Diego and the host of two TV shows airing on NBC sports and The World Fishing network. I have been a angler in Southern California for over 40 years.[/FONT]

Jim Sammons

Right on Jim...loved the last sentence, hence the highlighting...the ol' Mis-Labeled Phooking Ambush

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
T Bone

Slot limits have been in place for sturgeon and they already know the science,I think a letter bomb campaign is a great idea.

I have seen the dark side of bass fishing over the years.My brother has worked out of Daveys locker since the early nineties.These boats would go out to the flats and get limits of spawning sandbass for 6 weeks straight every year.I think closing the sandbass season during this time is one of the best proposals I have seen.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I have seen the dark side of bass fishing over the years.My brother has worked out of Daveys locker since the early nineties.These boats would go out to the flats and get limits of spawning sandbass for 6 weeks straight every year.I think closing the sandbass season during this time is one of the best proposals I have seen.
SportFishing boats are not the only ones to blame. Any time a species is targeted in the place they gather to reproduce, the results will be a decrease in the number of fish next year and every year thereafter. I would support a closed period of various fish during spawning season.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote