Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
JeffB

Season Opener 29 Sept 2012

Its been a while since I posted up last, but I finally have something new worth mentioning. I took off of work yesterday with plan to fish LJ yesterday morning for goats and macks, but ended going out last night for SB and Hali. I had no intention on trying to pick up any lobster, rather get a feel for whatever one else was doing. Trying to figure out where to go, and where to stay away from. I went ahead and brought my nets anyways, just in case!

Now to the report. I fished all over the bay looking for SB and Hali's, with little luck. I had a few short strikes by halibut and a caught a few SB and some brown rockfish. After a couple hours of fishing, I deicded to wait in line at a spot I love to fish to drop my nets. Once the guys gave me the thumbs up that they were leaving, I dropped a couple nets. I had salmon heads in one and nice smelly macks in the other. They were not really feeling the stinky stuff last night, however the salmon heads did alright. I pulled a legal on my first pull of the yr with a few shorts, then after that, it slowed waaaaay down. I was landing about one short per 5 pulls. Around 11pm I pulled up my nets and headed over to one last spot for SB. I managed another small one in a cpl hrs of work and moved on. I managed to loose two of my nets to the current that was ripping hard last night. I managed catching one with my rod though, then when the tide went slack got another one caught in my drive. Looked like a boat had ran it over as well, no float, just a little rope floating. So I lost two traps, found two. I asked around all the guys I passed on my way back in, but no one claimed them, however the one with out a float, I managed knocking it off the PA into 10' of water and it disappeared, lol! Maybe it was meant for that particular net to stay on the bottom. I cut off what was left of the mangled rope on it, probably should not have done that.

Back to the report. I was messing around the rocks in the area which where I launched and saw a lot of bugs crawling around, so I dropped my net. I told myself if its empty, going home for real, if not then we will hang for a min. Pull up the first one with some shorts and two whoppers! Unfortunately, one was hang on the side and let go before I could grab it. I stuck around for a cpl more hours and landed 5 more nice legals. Overall, an alright night on the water. The weather was to die for though, clear skies, little breezy until 10ish, then smooth as glass on the water. Here are a few picks of the unlucky bugs that crawled my way. Also I couldn't find anything worthy enough of using as a comparison for one of the bugs, rather than using a little 12oz can or bottle like a lot of folks, I settled with a 2L bottle to give you an idea of the BEAST!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
NextBite

Nice start to the season
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Congrats. Which bay were you in?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

very, very nice!