Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
PAL

MLPA: Fair warning, closures could start as soon as spring

If you want to say goodbye to the legal use of areas slated for MLPA closure, please start soon.

State staffers put the red tape on the fast track.

Although there's still considerable uncertainty, the closures could now go into effect as early as April or May, much sooner than I'd hoped or expected given the state's miserable economy and slashed government services.

There's still some chance we'll have through the end of the year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Get out there while you can.

PS - Two weeks ago the DFG said they'd have detail maps available soon. Not yet...
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
dorado50

I'm hoping for the end of summer time frame. Depends on the courts. Time to get a boat!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Time to get a boat!

More like time to let me catch a ride on yours.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Talking

I already have a boat!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
dorado50

yea and we're all hop'in on....
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

This means we're going to have to push for more Mothership type boats and have a regular thing going. Someone would make a lot of money if they would have that going all through the season.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
dorado50

check out fish doc's charter on this site. Jim knows how to get it done!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
Sorry, complete noob here. What does this all mean. I understand who the MLPA are but oblivious to the situation.
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

MLPA $$$$

How the Hell can the state of California afford to enforce the MLPA closures...Gov Brown wants to cut $1.7 billion from Medical...$1.5 billion from Welfare...$750 million from services for the developmentally disabled...$5000 million from the UC and Cal. State University systems...(these numbers are from the LA Times last week).
It's estimated that the enforcement will cost $30 to $40 million per year! Tell me, where will that money come from???
Do you mean to tell me that fishing closures are more important than the sick and disabled and our students??? WTF...we need to get our priorities straight!!!
PLEASE DONATE TO OUR LEGAL DEFENCE FUND...
KEEP AMERICA FISHING.ORG
It's our last chance!!!!!!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Amen to what Saba said. I'm donating to help.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Matt
Support your local pangas

Oh yea by the way good luck enforcing an mpa without the help of the recreational hook and line guys!!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
PAL

At a time like this, we should remember that our community's impressively strong showing saved north La Jolla, everything from Windnsea and up. We still have the better part of the best ocean kayak fishing in all of the west coast, and even retained access to pier bait.

Also, Dana Pt stayed off the closure maps. That's another very important kayak fishing access.

I'm putting a map package together for Western Outdoor News. I'll post up once its ready. Could be a few days.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
How the Hell can the state of California afford to enforce the MLPA closures...Gov Brown wants to cut $1.7 billion from Medical...$1.5 billion from Welfare...$750 million from services for the developmentally disabled...$5000 million from the UC and Cal. State University systems...(these numbers are from the LA Times last week).
It's estimated that the enforcement will cost $30 to $40 million per year! Tell me, where will that money come from???
Do you mean to tell me that fishing closures are more important than the sick and disabled and our students??? WTF...we need to get our priorities straight!!!
PLEASE DONATE TO OUR LEGAL DEFENCE FUND...
KEEP AMERICA FISHING.ORG
It's our last chance!!!!!!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer

Its coming from the Cal. state employee pension fund. You know "take from peter to pay paul". Calif is 25 billion in debt right now whats another 40 million per year?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The DFG is gearing up to have the ability to enforce at least some of the MLPA regulations. I have a friend who was just hired by the DFG and is currently in their training academy. Although nothing is yet set in stone, there is rhumored to be a new on-the-water position being set up in San Diego, probably based in Mission Bay. Ventura already has such a vessel. I am not sure about the LA area.

The cadet training is an eight month program so I seriously doubt that the DFG will have any new staff to deploy until next fall at the earliest. Even if they do deploy additional wardens, the job will still be much bigger than they will be able to handle with current or even significantly increased staff.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
dorado50

They better have there sh.. together because the burden of proof is on the state. They are going to need an areial camera with all sorts of other navigational equipment to prove ones position on the water...of course there will be ways to prove them wrong also.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The DFG is gearing up to have the ability to enforce at least some of the MLPA regulations. I have a friend who was just hired by the DFG and is currently in their training academy.
Bob

I looked into applying, they were hiring something around 200 wardens from what I recall. Pay with them was just too much less than CBP and they demand far more as far as education though.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
At a time like this, we should remember that our community's impressively strong showing saved north La Jolla, everything from Windnsea and up.
Does that mean straight in front of the large condo will still be fair game to fish?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Regor
Greg

Straight off the DFG site:

"In recent years, the DFG's budget has been significantly reduced due to the state's economic downturn. These reductions have overwhelmed the DFG's Law Enforcement Division. Recognizing the dire situation, an advocacy group proposed the idea of selling a “Game Warden Stamp” to raise additional funds to support Game Wardens critical work on behalf of California's natural resources."

I DO NOT see a ton of people stepping up to help fund the DFG ( @ $5 for a “Game Warden Stamp”), so as was asked earlier, how in the world is the DFG expecting to enforce the new MPA? And how have they even recruited anyone right now - unless they had a LARGE donation? (is that even legal).
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
PAL

They aren't expecting to adequately enforce the closures. The game wardens' association is on record as opposing the MLPA unless it comes with dedicated funds.

There are only some 220 game wardens for the entire state.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I looked into applying, they were hiring something around 200 wardens from what I recall. Pay with them was just too much less than CBP and they demand far more as far as education though.
I can't comment on the pay but my friend seemed OK with it. I was blown away by how carefully they checked out potential recruits however. My friend went through nearly six months of background checks, psychological exams and physical exams, not to mention multiple interviews. The vetting process was far more strict than anything I have every heard of in other types of law enforcement or the military.

If my friend is any example of the kind of people the DFG hires as wardens, they are a smart and talented bunch. I have spoken with dozens of DFG folks over the past few months. Without exception I have been impressed with these guys. Not a yahoo among them. I have yet to find a warden who thinks that the MLPA in its current form is reasonable or enforceable.

On the other hand, if things do not end up going our way, we have to keep in mind that the wardens are hired to do a difficult job. They do not make the rules but are still responsible for enforcing what gets handed to them.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote