Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Onebizo
Junior

New to forum and to kayaking.

Hello all I'm new to the forum and new to kayaking I really didn't have much interest until I got the opportunity to own a kayak. I can already tell that ill become addicted once I start. I'm looking for any tips or advice I can get I just traded my boat (15ft Gregor) for a Quest 13. My ultimate goal is to be able to fish the kelp by summers end. I have never used a yak but obviously am not stupid enough to go straight for the gusto and go out right away. But is like to meet some people who would would be kind enough to take me under there wing and show me the ropes I am an avid fisherman I've had my prior vessel out to point loam kelp. Should I stick to the lakes first or go straight for the bay? Any suggestions on adds to my yak? Current set up is hand paddle live well 6 rod holders (2 being the side trolling holders). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Josh
Onebizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
dorado50

learn by doing fish the kayak like you fished the gregorAn avid fisherman can fish at any given time,place,or platform.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Onebizo
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
learn by doing fish the kayak like you fished the gregorAn avid fisherman can fish at any given time,place,or platform.
Lol that is actually great advice I do appreciate it.
Onebizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
dmrides

Welcome to the addiction. Like D50, I say just go for it. Start in the bays, watch the tides and use them to your advantage. Learn how to flip and re-enter. Leash, store and secure everything you don't want to lose. Paddle out around the tip of point loma and back just to gain confidence and endurance. Do some research to learn all the must have items for safety. With each trip, refine your setup and the things you carry with you. Spend some time out there and you will be hauling in yt's before you know it.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote