Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

keeping lobster alive?

want to have a family lobster boil/BBQ next weekend and going to drop the hoops probably wed. and friday.

whats the best way to keep these guys alive for a couple days or preserve them? I was thinking pack them on some wet kelp and add frozen bottles in a cooler and they'd be ok?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
want to have a family lobster boil/BBQ next weekend and going to drop the hoops probably wed. and friday.

whats the best way to keep these guys alive for a couple days or preserve them? I was thinking pack them on some wet kelp and add frozen bottles in a cooler and they'd be ok?
You just described why I quit going out for bugs. Looks like your gonna have to get lucky on Friday.

The key to successfully storing a live lobster is remembering that it has unique physical features that require some consideration. First, a live lobster is a living, breathing creature, and to ensure that it remains the former, the latter quality must be accommodated. Lobsters breathe through gills, and these must be kept moist in order to work properly. There are two things in particular to avoid in order to keep your lobsters alive until you are ready to cook them: heat and dryness. Keep your lobsters in a cold, damp, and suitably oxygenated environment and you can expect them to survive for approximately 36 to 48 hours after you bring them home
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
You just described why I quit going out for bugs. Looks like your gonna have to get lucky on Friday.

The key to successfully storing a live lobster is remembering that it has unique physical features that require some consideration. First, a live lobster is a living, breathing creature, and to ensure that it remains the former, the latter quality must be accommodated. Lobsters breathe through gills, and these must be kept moist in order to work properly. There are two things in particular to avoid in order to keep your lobsters alive until you are ready to cook them: heat and dryness. Keep your lobsters in a cold, damp, and suitably oxygenated environment and you can expect them to survive for approximately 36 to 48 hours after you bring them home
lol. well friday i know ill be pulling double limits, Wednesday is more of a recon mission. i kept the ones from last night in the cooler (120qt) with 4gal of sea water and a frozen gallon water bottle to cool things off. kept them calm and alive till this evening. well, until i put the bigger one on the floor and let him duel it out with the dog. ... the dog lost.