Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Sherm

afterwork once again (spots galore)

Short report. I hit SD bay afterwork yesterday to an incoming tide. i was on the water and fishing at 5:30pm. I fished several types of plastics and gulp baits and several different depths and bottoms. All I could find were spotties. They were everywhere yesterday. Spots that are usually turdroller spots were filled with spotties. Hali spots had spotties. It was crazy. 4 times I had two fish on at the same time. One rod in the holder and one being reeled in. None were very big...just numerous. Also got into some pencil cuda. Off the water at 7pm. The action was fast and furious and fun on the 6lb test line. Another stoagie also bit the dust.

Fish Count;

24 Spotties (dinks to 14 in)
3 Snotsticks (pencils)

Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
hammerhead
Junior

Nice count for under 2 hours.

Thats the kind of fun I hope to be having tomorrow in Oside.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Nice..

And the bay looks greasy calm too.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Rusty

Nice, MB was similar last night. I went to mission bay deciding to change it up and decided to buy some 'chovies at the barge. The guy filled up my bait tank and told me $25. WTF? Was this guy ripping me off or is there really no more "kayak scoop?" I only gave him ten and basically told him to suck it, but geeeeez that can't be right.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Sherm

How big is your bait tank? Did he put in a full scoop?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Rusty

Sherm-

I have the Hobie tank which is on the larger side, but he crammed nearly a "half scoop" in there (one full pass), which is way more than I needed or asked for. I guess maybe the real question is, do they fill up your bait tank only based on it's size, and you can't choose to have less bait in it? That's was this guy's take on it.

To be honest, I just get a feeling that guy tries to charge kayakers for a half scoop, notes it as a kayak scoop on the barge receipt, and keeps the change. It was very odd the way he demanded me to take more bait when I wanted less, then wanted to charge me up the @$$. Then after I went off on him, he backed off and lowered the price to $10 no problem.

Sorry for the threadjack...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Sherm

That's why I stick to the plastics and gulps in the bay. Too much hassle to deal with bait.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

$10= flat rate for kayakers.......

Rusty, sounds like this guy was simply trying to pull a fast one. The 100% mark up is enough, without a grumbling bait barge guy trying to hassle kayakers (I'm guessing the portly short guy at Mission Bay barge?). Having bought a number of kayak scoops lately, I haven't had this experience. I've had much better luck out of SD bay than Mission bay as far as the "hook-up on quality and quality". Maybe my reputation for tipping more than the average PB'r is starting to catch up with me (not the case early on with pathetic bait). I will gladly pay for service, and as of late I've been getting more than I expected . Now if the water temps will just hold in my range, and I can get a nice weather window, with the extra lively bait, I will remain the "unfettered optamist".

Sherm, sorry for the threadjack too.............
Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Rusty

Yup, that sounds like the guy... It's just Napoleon Complex. I always tip $5 to the guys at the barge, but I don't go very often at all, so they wouldn't remember me.

Last edited by Rusty; 09-18-2008 at 02:30 PM.