Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

2/12/La Jolla

High seas adventure, surf report was calling for 5-8 foot surf. Pier was just over 3 foot and the launch was fairly tame with energy lacking 1-2 foot. Then how did I end up with a salty face full

Once out past the point there was SOME swell, the kind that limits your vis to 20-30 feet as they roll under ya. Arne had launched ahead of me and reported nada so far. I picked up a short cuda on the iron, usually see more of them in Feb, guess we need an influx of chovies, as I have only seen sardine so far. Saw Holy Mac make his way out, looked like the high surf kept alot of those with the day off at home, no pbers and 3 yaks on the north end.

About 9:30 I got lucky and was in the right spot at the right time and was grinding up when I got tagged. I have lost some questionable fish in the last few months, I have not put any food on the kayak since Halloween.

3 months of yoyoing finally payed off. I had left my gaff in the truck it had been so long since needing it. I grabbed the fish's tail and it managed to shake loose after showing me how one point of the hook was in a tag of it's skin outside the mouth. The next opportunity I grabbed it as hard as I could and managed to flop it on the deck with the jig popping right out of it's mouth.

It is no 95 pound AJ, but I"LL TAKE IT! I took it in to OEX for a chance at Fish of the Month and it weighed 23#

Arne thanks for the drive up photo service, Chris good seeing you too.

Hey, I am kayak fishing San Vicente on Sunday, if anyone is interested Com'on, catch some LMB and get your mug in FishRap!

aallen4@flash.net