Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
sasha

Safety first

Comming home safe is more important then the fish you catch...
Safety gear, What do you carry and what do you do to stay safe??? What would anyone do diffrent from the exp they have on the water. Thats more for you guys that been at it for years now.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
RK

Definately pay attention to weather and be in the loop regarding wind and conditions prior to launch, nothing like getting surpirsed by hurricane conditions....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
RK

Buddy system works really good too.
And a VHF.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
yaky yak

Me and a buddy were out one time and he had left his hatch open on his prowler(one between his legs)and before he knew it the back of his yak was under water. It was a calm day and we transferred all his stuff to my yak and I tow and he paddled and we made it back luckily.
After that day I never go out without a hand pump on board. If the weather had been different or he had been out by his self there could of been a different outcome. Stuff happens, be prepared.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
taggermike

A big part of being prepared is having the gear/tools you need when things go bad. Another part is having the knowledge and confidence to help your self or a buddy. The time to try your first kayak righting and remounting isn't when the wind has come up, it's way cold, and you're by your self 3 miles off the point. How many of us have practiced righting and remounting even in calm water? How many of us know how to work with a partner to drain a flooded kayak? There are simple things we can learn to make kayaking safer with out adding any gear to our yaks. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote