Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Jonesyak

Bait question?

I was making bait in LJ for the first time last week, and had very mixed results.

First attempt making bait yielded sardines, from 4 to 6''. These seemed to have worked best considering each I fly-lined got chased around by cudas, and one got bit by a yellow.

A little later in the day the dines seemed to have left and I made various size macs in several locations. From 6'' all the ways to big ass forearm size macs. These were the best swimming baits no matter how I hooker them, however I never got bit.

Towards noon, running out of bait I sent the rig all the way to the bottom in a couple of spots and came up with what I can only describe as bait size ocean white fish. I am pretty sure they were just little whitefish; these were the worst baits of all, at least for me.

What are your guys preferred bait fish? And is there any way to target one over another?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Redeyejedi

i had my first semi successful bait day, yesterday.
sabiki nailed 5 macs on three dips.
trolled and flylined but no hits on the macs.
new yakangler here, just got my yak late june, and was in hawaii for a few weeks...just getting water time, launching and landing, and making bait.
lots of fun being on the water, so peaceful.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

My preferred bait fish is whatever they're eating. I like bigger macs cuz the cudas leave them alone.

All finbait sucks when they're keyed in on squid and you don't have any, though.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

I wouldn't do anything different than what you are doing, sounds to me like you have the bait down pat, heck I can't do that well sometimes...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
taggermike

Catching bait fish can be like catching any other fish. Some times they're there, some times not. Sometimes they bite, some times they don't. It sound like you did well on the baits though.
If I had my choice of baits for yak fishing LJ I'd take 6-8 inch pacific(green)mackeral. Sardines work well and are some times easy to catch but I find they don't live as well as other baits in a small kayak bait tank. As as you found out, every thing will take a swing at them. If you have 500 baits in a yatch's bait tank thats OK. If you have 5-10 dines in your yak tank and the cuda or bass kill them the moment they hit the water you're out of action fast. Some times you're stuck with what you get and spanish and even smelt will get bit. If you're targeting YT or WSB the bigger green macks, like 12 inchers, will work and they keep the 3 "B"s off. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Jonesyak

Thanks mike.

When trolling and flylining thoes big 10'' + size macs, how big of a hook? Last time I was out all I had with me was ringed owners, im pretty sure they were 4/0... but I notice a few times when switching out baits that the tip of the hook was burying its self in the bait...

Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Carrying sizes 3/0 - 8/0 should do the trick for ya, but size up even bigger with circle hooks. Btw, if you get some of those 14+" salamis, don't be afraid to use 'em. They look huge but big YT's and Ghosts have zero problem ingesting them.

Got a 48# yt in mulege on a salami that had to have been pushing 18" in length.

Getting back to hooks, I was fortunate to learn from an old guy years ago in La Paz fishing for monster roosterfish with 7-10# ladyfish as bait, literally a 2 foot long bait.

Roosters are notorious for taking off with a bait and spitting the hook. What he did was sort of like a modified bridle. It consisted of a small (2/0) bait hook that was tied to the bend of a much larger hook. Hook the nose of the bait on the small hook and the large hook will be literally just in front of it's nose. Works like a charm when dealing with huge baits (or any baits for that matter). You're hookup ratio may very well increase.

Last edited by seriola_killer; 08-01-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
taggermike

Like seriola_killer said, don't worry about using the big baits. I ususally carry hooks up to 5/0 but need to pick up some bigger ones. Like you mention Arron, both circle and J hooks can reverse and get burried in the side of the bait. Most anglers hook dines and maks sideways across the nose, which works very well. I started this way but switched to hooking my baits by putting the hook in the baits mouth and going up and out the top of the nose. I find that I get fewer hooks turned in to the bait with the hook riding verticaly. Also baits like smelt, grunion, and spanish macks do not have the tough carteledge area between thier eyes and nose that will hold a hook sideways but they do have a boney pallet that will hold a hook run up and down. I've have been tempted to try bridling but haven't yet. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote