Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Sdspeed

opinions Pls, trident 13

The trident 15 I was considering sold and I've found a T13 which had been my 1st choice at one time. I'm not looking for speed but my leg issues require comfort to be my priority. Anyone own one or have spent some hours paddling one. After being in the T15 with it being a little narrower and the rod pod width I think that regardless the T15 wouldn't have been the best for my situation.

thx
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
MrM

How tall are you? I have the 13... I'm 6'2 190lbs and find it pretty roomy leg-wise. It's a pretty fast yak. Honestly, I enjoy mine. The pod in the middle is a cool idea, but I'd rather it be a cutting board. I use it all the time with a couple cannon rod holders, but I'll soon be attaching mounts to the sides to free up that pod for some tools I'll be attaching via eyelets and carabiners.

I don't stand up in it, but honestly if you want to do that buy a PA. One day I'll buy a PA like everybody and their mother, but this yak isn't too bad.

Oh, and storing/transporting anything longer than 13 ft (I think the 13 is closer to 14 ft in actuality) would just be a bitch.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
How tall are you? I have the 13... I'm 6'2 190lbs and find it pretty roomy leg-wise. It's a pretty fast yak. Honestly, I enjoy mine. The pod in the middle is a cool idea, but I'd rather it be a cutting board. I use it all the time with a couple cannon rod holders, but I'll soon be attaching mounts to the sides to free up that pod for some tools I'll be attaching via eyelets and carabiners.

I don't stand up in it, but honestly if you want to do that buy a PA. One day I'll buy a PA like everybody and their mother, but this yak isn't too bad.

Oh, and storing/transporting anything longer than 13 ft (I think the 13 is closer to 14 ft in actuality) would just be a bitch.
I'm 5'10" 180 lbs.
Looks like it would really be a good fit for me. Do you have a seat that you find is comfy since the one I'm looking at will need both a seat and a better paddle. I agree on transporting, I took a serious look at that on my truck, if i have to fight a kayak i most likely won't use it.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
tacmik

I'm 5'10'' 190 lbs. and also paddle a T-13. I have no problems with room or even coming close to the weight limit. The yak is quick, easy to paddle and love the old style rod pod with the tray inside for gear. you can't go wrong with this yak. Oh, and it is 13'6" long. Definitely up grade the seat. I use an air filled one that I like. A lot of people like the gel filled. Check out several different kinds and ask questions on the seats. The crew at OEX would be a great place to start. Go in and check them out.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

I'm 6' 2", 215 lbs and I don't really have any issues with my T13. I just tend to move the foot rests every so often to mix things up a little. I'm definetly going to be getting a better seat though.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
landwhale

I've paddled quite a few kayaks and find the Trident 13 perfect for me 5" 10" 240. The T13 handles the ocean swells boat wakes and surf with no problem. To feel safe on the water you have to trust your kayak.

My advise is to go and test paddle not ever kayak fits the same to everyone make sure you are comfortable. OEX has them

As for a seat look at the Pacific Angler by Seairsports or the Kingfisher

Last edited by landwhale; 09-29-2012 at 07:06 AM.
landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
tacmik

check the for sale link. There is a T-15 for sale. Have to go to riverside for it.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Sdspeed

thanks all, I appreciate all the input. Like a lot of us I have to contend with a budget too. I loaded and brought a T15 home and living in a condo the T15 became a storage problem too. I'll keep ya in the loop and look forward to being on the water with ya and stealing fishing spots from ya !

Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Amish Ed

Definitely test out the ones you're looking at. Go to OEX and try out the T13. Spend at least 2hrs in it. That'll tell you how your legs and back like it. For myself, OK's boat have footwells that are too narrow and it hurts my knees. If that is the same for you, check out the Tarpon 140. I find that one much more comfy.