Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Not very likely, but it has happened. Damage to the scupper that you don't notice, water slowly leaking in that you don't notice till its too late...

Yes it has. I almost sank a Hobie in the East Cape and sank a Malibu off La Jolla.....never thought it would happen
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #22
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggmann View Post
I'm not trying to sound like and idiot but.... What are the odds of actually sinking your yak? I have a Hobie Outback and unless I leave the drain open the hatches stay closed most of the time while I'm fishing.

It doesn't seem likely to me but then again I've mostly fished Newport Harbor.
A buddy of mine had a small crack on his hobie two years ago and didn't notice until it was already 1/4 full of water. Good thing he was still in the harbor when he noticed it.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #23
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggmann View Post
I've been fishing solo on my kayak for the last couple years in Newport Harbor and really like it. The only problem is I'd rather not eat anything from the harbor.

I've been seeing posts from other members catching WSB among other things out on open water in some of the local kelp beds. The idea of spending a day on the open water with the potential of putting a few bass in my fridge is really appealing. I plan on checking out the only place I've heard anything about (Corona Del Mar) since I'd be able to get there relatively easy and I'm familiar with NPH.

I've never fished open water and plan on doing it on good weather days and with a friend. Does anyone go out solo? Is it a bad idea?

I'm sure there are some things I'm just not aware of asking so please feel free to add your 2 cents.
I have a lot of solo fishing trips because a lot of the times it's a last minute trip. Like My wife will say, why don't you take the Kayak out and do some fishing. I don't ask why, I just go. I do prefer La Jolla trips and big water paddles with a partner but I don't let that hold me back. One thing I have noticed is when Launching in commonly used areas, you're never alone. I've seen so many fellow BWE people out at the launches, on the water, and so on. I always try and keep an eye out for others in the even they get in trouble or anything. Keep a good radio on you, a cell phone protected from the water, and have the numbers programmed in your phone.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
doggmann
Junior

A friend of mine finally got a kayak and I realized if I waited for our schedules to click, I'd be lucky to get out once a month. I'd like to thank you all for all the input, I really appreciate it.

So its just like anything else. Check and double check your equipment. Bring "just in case" gear (radio, cell, PLB etc.) and even then $h!t happens but if you planned for the worst you should be okay.

I'm self employed so my schedule is all over the place. I'd like to get out with an experienced guy/gal to help with my learning curve.
doggmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
raffman55

I felt my prowler getting harder to paddle, checked the hatch, only to find 4-5 inches of water in the hull. A friend I was with had a bilge pump, I did not. I was 2 miles off shore from LJ at the time. I learned my lesson. I have since made many solo trips, but now I make sure I have all the safety gear:Phone, rope, bilge pump, mirror/reflector, lights, energy bars/snacks/water, first-aid kit. Just be safe. You learn an awful lot about yourself fishing solo.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
maui jim

I have owned a PLB for years for hunting and boating/kayak'n,
Never have deployed it but it's peace of mind is pricless, but I have just sent it in for battery service and check up.
The units now are much smaller and less expensive than before, well worth the investment.
Along with a good life insurance policy which makes the wife happy.