Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
IMTHESKI
Junior

Anyone Wish They Had a Different Kayak?

I have a gray Malibu X-Factor(older style one forward hatch)which I have pretty much babied since buying and really love. I got it back around 2007 when OEX was in Point Loma before they moved to Mission Bay. Awhile later I see this Malibu Stealth line come out and I think they are pretty awesome. Not sure what size I would get if I could afford it but I like the hatches better for some reason. It also appears the forward fishing rod holders are easier to reach on the Stealth compared to mine. On the bright side I still love my 14' X-Factor and have plenty of space to grow into considering I don't get out as often as I want. I think I would get a different color as well. I like the semi stealthy gray but it also hides from powerboats pretty well, or they just like putting me in their waves. I just roll with it and hope they have scared the fish my way. I also like the pedal feature on the Hobie's but deep down still a Malibu fan.

If I had to pick again it would be a hard decision between the Stealth and X-Factor.
IMTHESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
easyday

I have the new 2013 x factor and I love it. I got it from OEX mission bay they plumbed the live well and installed the fish finder. This model has the transducer mount on the outside so it sits in the water but is still nocely recessed in the hull to protect it, lots of storage, lots of deck space, and internal live well. I couldn't ask for more.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
bigbarrels

I have an X13 and it paddles like a dream. I also had an X-FActor which was great stable platform and I no longer have (long story but was my only sinkable kayak so far). It paddled like a battle ax. I have a TArpon 130 tandem and it is used a single or tandem and has never had a drop of water inside of it. I also have a Hobie revolution and can honestly say it blows away my X13, X-FActor and Tarpon 130 in terms of fishability......is that a word? Hands free, make bait and stay in position when unhooking a full sabiki, fish in free spool, use large muscle groups to get around all day with minimal effort and allows me to cover more ground,......but if you have bad knees and are not too large of a dude an X 13 is a great yak......if you have good knees I highly recommend a Hobie as I'm sure would hundreds of guys on BWE.......good luck with your choice

Last edited by bigbarrels; 06-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
CKallday71

I had a Cobra Fish N Dive and really liked it and would consider getting one just to have for shallow fresh water fishing.

I have the Hobie Outback now and it's absolutely amazing. I just wish it had a reverse gear for the Mirage Drive LOL.

I still need a Tandem and I'm contemplating what kind of Tandem to get. I like the Jackson stuff that I saw at the Fred Hall show.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Raskal311

I wish I had three different kayaks
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I like the Stealth 12 but a few things I'd trade it for are better forward rod holder positions and dryer inside. Some days I end up draining about a gallon out of it from where I think it comes in from the side hatches. The forward rod holders are a stretch to reach to and there really isn't a good place to mount a scotty or ram that wouldn't be in the way of paddling. Theres always water sitting in the back dive well area too. The boat basically sits a bit lower in the back than in the front so water just pools up in the rear. Better scupper hole placement might help that a bit. But overall I like it and would probably buy another.

Even though I like it I'm probably going to trade it for an outback sometime soon for hands-free fishing, as long as it's not too rough on my knees.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
dc1983

I started with a Malibu tandem, upgraded to the Stealth 14 then outback and now a Pro Angler 12. It's still a toss up between the Stealth and PA. I do miss fishing from the stealth though
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
CR Yaker

I just wish I had a kayak right now here in Costa Rica. The Revolution 13 developed a big crack in the Mirage area, high stress. Going shoot for the AI next. All I wana do is
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
easyday

I love the new x factor that built in bait tank is awesome.