Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

PFD...wear them

Was at Shelter Island earlier today with my son and the wind was blowing pretty hard, 15 to 25 mph at time. These two guys launched, 1 in a hobie and one in a prowler. The guy in the prowler looked to be new at kayaking and got blown into one of the boats and flipped the kayak. He learned really quick how to flip the boat back over and got back in. Myself and the people who were running the Kayak tours were talking about how crazy it was to be going out with the conditions as they were. About an hour later I see these two guys going out, 1 on a P.A. and the other on a different type of hobie. Both were not wearing PFDs because they wanted to go shirtless. I just hope I don't learn of anyone having to be rescued. People, wear your PFD, it can save your life.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Raskal311

Yup I know I'm not a strong swimmer so mine stays on at all times; hot or cold, wind or no wind.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

If you roll with a PFD on you can concentrate on saving your gear, without one you have to concentrate on saving yourself.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Dannowar

No pfd for me, you can't make me
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
No we can't but we can PRAY you never need one. Stay safe. Please.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Yup I know I'm not a strong swimmer so mine stays on at all times; hot or cold, wind or no wind.
I am a strong swimmer (was a search and rescue swimmer in the Navy) and I never take off my PFD on the water. I see guys out there not wearing and sorry but I don't understand them. My 2 cents.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
YakAttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
If you roll with a PFD on you can concentrate on saving your gear, without one you have to concentrate on saving yourself.
If I wasn't wearing my PFD when I flipped, I believed I could had dived down quick enough and recovered my gears when they were falling down in the water colume, but my PFD kept me floated on the surface.
J/K though.

x2 on what fiskadora said.

When I flipped the first time, I had my PFD on, but was only able to grab my tackle box which is the closest thing to me that I saw. my rods and reels were behind my back so I didn't even had a chance to look at them one last time .

After I got back on the yak, I was all wet so took off my vest, jacket, and that's when I flipped the second time. this time, I lost my sandals, jackets, sunglasses and everything else. Kinda wished I never took my pfd off and stayed wet so I didn't lose everything else.

Keep your PFD on and stay safe .
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Jimmy, you took your son out in 25 mile wind? He must be one hell of an experienced kayaker.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
FishNinjaY

I was going to post on this, with pics of my son's PFD... cuz he keeps taking it off. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time, before we take a spill, and he won't have his PFD. He's a good swimmer, for 9-10yrs old, but in a dump, he'll panic (me too), and I wanted to get peoples advice on good PFD's to buy for kids, that don't bunch up around their shoulders. I have a PFD that is flat, and needs to be pulled to activate a CO2 cartridge. I don't want that for him (or me, I'm thinking), because of the concern if get bonked on head during a roll by the kayak, or a boat, etc...

Anyways, good advice.. and I'm determined to make sure he keeps his PFD on from now on. I welcome any PFD advice, or brands, for both kids and adults. Thanks.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Jimmy, you took your son out in 25 mile wind? He must be one hell of an experienced kayaker.
No we were standing on the shore watching some kayakers launch. We were just there to play in the sand.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
taggermike

Thanks for the reminder. I see poeple not wearing PFDs and wonder why they don't. Its not cool, not comfortable, not going to happen to them, they're good swimmers. What ever. Its just a habit, like wearing a seatbelt or a bike helmet. I always wear mine, not because I'm a poor yakker or bad swimmer. But because shit happens. I don't wear my seatbelt because I'm planning on crashing in to some one. But shit happens. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I was going to post on this, with pics of my son's PFD... cuz he keeps taking it off. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time, before we take a spill, and he won't have his PFD. He's a good swimmer, for 9-10yrs old, but in a dump, he'll panic (me too), and I wanted to get peoples advice on good PFD's to buy for kids, that don't bunch up around their shoulders. I have a PFD that is flat, and needs to be pulled to activate a CO2 cartridge. I don't want that for him (or me, I'm thinking), because of the concern if get bonked on head during a roll by the kayak, or a boat, etc...

Anyways, good advice.. and I'm determined to make sure he keeps his PFD on from now on. I welcome any PFD advice, or brands, for both kids and adults. Thanks.
I might get this one for Nick, I would like to start taking him out with me.
http://www.amazon.com/Extrasport-Inl...ife+vest+kayak

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Wear life jackets at all times...

Of the boating fatalities that occurred in 2009, 67 percent of the victims drowned. Of that group, 84 percent were not wearing a life jacket. Don't become a statistic, wear a life jacket. Life jackets are the proven number one way to save a life in the event of a sudden, unexpected capsizing or fall overboard. Wear a life jacket...

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Boaterinfo/LifeJacketinfo.aspx
mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
easyday

Yea I dont wear mine either I actually only have that cheap 5 dollar orange one that slips over the head. I have bought 2 very expensive ones designed for paddling and have ended up returning both of them. Paddling with the 2 I have tried made me feel very constricted and pushed in on my stomach. Just cant find a reasonbly comfortable one.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

I will never Kayak without one. Many don't wear them because of the cool factor, they think if they are seen wearing a PFD they will look uncool. How will you look being pulled from the water dead? What happens if you get flipped some how and become knocked out and are not wearing your PFD? You die. There are a ton of PFDs out there that are less bulky and are less than $100. No one can make anyone wear on, but I can't see any reason why someone doesn't. Not only should you wear one, but make sure it's properly secure and adjusted.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
maui jim

I wonder how much he spends on Tackle but not on his life????
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I will never Kayak without one. Many don't wear them because of the cool factor, they think if they are seen wearing a PFD they will look uncool. How will you look being pulled from the water dead? What happens if you get flipped some how and become knocked out and are not wearing your PFD? You die. There are a ton of PFDs out there that are less bulky and are less than $100. No one can make anyone wear on, but I can't see any reason why someone doesn't. Not only should you wear one, but make sure it's properly secure and adjusted.
Dude, relax......
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I wonder how much he spends on Tackle but not on his life????
I spend quite a bit on tackle and If something does happen it happens it looks like it was my time. I could get hit by a drunk driver on the way to the launch ramp. Ive come very close to death more than once so by now I figure if its my time its my time.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I spend quite a bit on tackle and If something does happen it happens it looks like it was my time. I could get hit by a drunk driver on the way to the launch ramp. Ive come very close to death more than once so by now I figure if its my time its my time.
Have you tried any of the self inflate vests? I know they are not the best to be wearing on a Kayak but they are more comfortable.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
maui jim

It's a personal choice so one can choose what they wish to wear, or not to wear. And it's a choice that everyone should make for themselves.

When I was into Motorcycle racing for 14 years back in the day, a quote comes to mind...

A sponsor once told me...
"If you have a Ten Dollar Head... then wear a Ten Dollar Helmet"