Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Thanks for using one of your 29 post in the last 4 years on this...

Ouch, that wasn't friendly. Some opinions are not welcome i see.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
maui jim

Hunting season cant use a kayak for that....... I think I may need to borrow Jeorges SKUNK OFF SPRAY.... Stupid deer, pigs, quail,

Too bad you cant eat ground squirrels cuz I knocked the beejesus out of those....400+ with a 17HMR..

I need to go hooping now....so I can post shorts.. they way my season is going...
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

I've been around long enough to notice that it all goes in cycles - when the fishing is dead, the forum is dead because there is not much to talk or brag about.

Then the fishing gets hot and we get lots of reports here.

Then the really dedicated guys who are out there putting in the miles get P.O.ed when they post up a report and the whole world descends on the location the next day - so they stop posting reports.

Then someone invariably whines that there are no reports being posted here and we're all dicks for ignoring the newbies.

Right now fishing isn't so hot, football and hunting season is upon us, and from what I read the lobster season isn't much to speak of this year.

Personally I haven't been on the water in two months because of my rifle competitions and getting a few hunts in - which seems to be my first love because I'm choosing it over my fishing poles.

But there is one thing I do know for a fact - there is a select group of guys here who are quietly putting in the time on the water every day, and probably catching more fish than I'll ever see because they are as dedicated to kayak fishing as I am to my rifle competitions. And I admire them for that - you guys know who you are...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Chuck D

I feel that as in life as well as in BWE you should give at least double back that you receive to make up for all the stingy ones in our world. However, this does not have to take the form of posting your catch or honey holes every time you go out. Over the years I have gotten many tips and given many tips from people/friends I have met through this forum. I have made many contacts and got much advise and help from people and try help them back whether it is in the form of a helpful post, pm, on the water experience or handing out fish to friends in need. I think most kayak fishermen are alike in the ways that they are kind, intelligent, competitive and environmentally concious people. I think your frustrations come from the fact that most people are not contributing in the form of posts and this equals the fact that people aren't contributing at all to the progression of kayak fishing, but I think it goes much deeper to the contributions outside of the forum that start in the forum, if that makes sense We are all is the same boat here my friends, just in different part of the country.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Hunting season cant use a kayak for that....... I think I may need to borrow Jeorges SKUNK OFF SPRAY.... Stupid deer, pigs, quail,

Too bad you cant eat ground squirrels cuz I knocked the beejesus out of those....400+ with a 17HMR..

I need to go hooping now....so I can post shorts.. they way my season is going...
ITS DUCK SEASON. I hunt ducks outa my yak. Sorry no pics or gps numbers
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
lamb

More good stuff...

It is good that this is being discussed, in a healthy and respectful way, so we all can better understand each other's perspective. You will NOT feel the same about public fishing forum if you're out there OTW (on-the-water, for those of you who wonder ) a couple of times a week, once a month, or once in a blue moon... Fishing guide, hard core or recreational angler, or a guy who is fishing for living WILL NOT have the same feeling on this subject...

But you have to realize that public forum is still a great place to learn, great place to share your experience, and learn from other people's feedback... It's a place where you can make friends for life! I know I've made many, and I will be the first one to tell you that I learned a ton from it! And not only about fishing!

For the most part, you can kind of get to know the person behind the keyboard based on their posts. We all are who we are, offline or online. The important part about BWE is it IS a SoCal kayak fishing community gathering place, one of. Knowing how hard it is to rally people around any common cause, we have to nurture it. It comes in handy to all of us - it has in the past, I am sure it will in the future.

Not to mention the entertaining factor...

And yes, like lots of other subjects, this one has popped up at least 4-5 times that I recall over the years.

Neill...
You've come a long way.
Just in case you've overlooked it, here is a link to the same discussion back 5.5 years ago, lil' before you got BWE account. I am stoked to see BWE still going strong!

Many of the core BWE gang that you hardly ever hear from these days chipped in on it on this thread, so it's worth reading for the new folks. Besides, it's got Todd's legendary "Evolution Of Kayak Fishermen" theses, that is so very true for so many of us.... 0

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ayak+fisherman

And BTW, Team Sewer, FYI - Todd (C-Level) was that boater that one crazy halibut bite day who was watching you guys pull one flat kind after another right by his boat on anchor... where he smiled, congratulated, and celebrated with you (yes, they had like 8 on ice as well)... Not yelled "YOU ARE TOO CLOSE!!!" like 90% of SoCal boaters would... Once a kayak fisherman, always a kayak fisherman.

Another plug for Todd - awesome read for anyone wanting to know more about halibut fishing from Jim's site

http://kayak4fish.com/press/Halibut0405.shtml
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
More good stuff...
Just in case you've overlooked it, here is a link to the same discussion back 5.5 years ago, lil' before you got BWE account. I am stoked to see BWE still going strong!

Many of the core BWE gang that you hardly ever hear from these days chipped in on it on this thread, so it's worth reading for the new folks. Besides, it's got Todd's legendary "Evolution Of Kayak Fishermen" theses, that is so very true for so many of us.... 0

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ayak+fisherman
That's a C-Level classic, but I thought you implied we'd see posts from the old guard. I guess some of us are really, really old timers. Those names date from BWE generation 2 or 3. Still fun to see.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
lamb

You've got to go to yakfishing.com for the old old guard Paul...

Keep in mind - BWE dates back prior to what you see on the oldest posts here, to 2002... remember, we got hacked way back and they nuked the database... And there was no backup ... No, I was not in charge of backups at the time

We've got yakfishing.com forum backup - we'll bring it online soon. If nothign else, just for the kicks.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
You've got to go to yakfishing.com for the old old guard Paul...

Keep in mind - BWE dates back prior to what you see on the oldest posts here, to 2002... remember, we got hacked way back and they nuked the database... And there was no backup ... No, I was not in charge of backups at the time

We've got yakfishing.com forum backup - we'll bring it online soon. If nothign else, just for the kicks.
Wow, web 1.0 right there. Yakfishing.com should be in a museum. I'll study it too, if it goes back far enough. It's a kayak fishing time capsule. Thanks Adi!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

I like to think I single handedly ruined Kayak fishing, at least that's what the Malibu tough guys told me. I'd post reports but then someone would have to kill me
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
TJones

there you go

guys attacking each other again , pointing the finger at the sewer . come on . and you wonder why nobody wants to post . great topic with lots of feedback . i will stay out of this since , i am the new guy .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
jorluivil

If anyone has a complaint about Team Sewer please contact Stinkymatt, he handles our complaint department.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I complain so much to Matt, all he does is say.. .

TODAY IS GOING TO BE THE BEST FISHING DAY EVER......

have a i heard that one a dozen times.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Fiskadoro

B.S. aside.... times change. I can't think of a single board that has the participation levels it had half a decade ago. Look at Allcoast or even BD. Actually this is the only board where I still still see a solid level of quality participation.

I think the Golden age of fishing reports is pretty much gone. People over time relized that if you posted too much bite info online it just lead to too many people fishing your favorite spots. I still put up a report now and then but only when I feel that it wont have a negative impact on the local fishing.

I think reports should encourage others to go fish in general, not give them specifics like when, where, or things like "GO THERE NOW!!! every time someone catches a fish.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-25-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post

I think I use my kayaks more during hunting season than for fishing.....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote