Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Smokeybear
Junior

Quote:
=Hunters Pa;201881]Go with what you are comfortable using. Don't fish with anything you can't break off while balanced on a kayak.
This is a very good advise, I know a lot of people are fishing with #65 spectra, what's the best method to break this size braid? I'm a big guy I can break 40 or 50 mono when I'm standing on ground or a large size boat by pulling hard with a wrapped rug on my arm, a kayak is very different because you have no way to hold the kayak from moving when you're pulling, I guess if you can't break the line there's no other solution the using a knife.
Can you break #65 braid setting the reel drag to the max I would think it will slip or it my damage the reel?
Smokeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeybear View Post
This is a very good advise, I know a lot of people are fishing with #65 spectra, what's the best method to break this size braid? I'm a big guy I can break 40 or 50 mono when I'm standing on ground or a large size boat by pulling hard with a wrapped rug on my arm, a kayak is very different because you have no way to hold the kayak from moving when you're pulling, I guess if you can't break the line there's no other solution the using a knife.
Can you break #65 braid setting the reel drag to the max I would think it will slip or it my damage the reel?
No way you can break off 65# braid. Your flouro knot will be the first thing to go. Ive even snapped 80lb swivels before the spec snaps.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeybear View Post
nice pair of pliers does the trick
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote