Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #61
YakDout
Brandon

Those people saying that you will never know what these guides know. I have a question for you. Do you think the knowledge that they have came from an older generation guide who taught them? Or perhaps they spent time on the water until they learned on their own. I too cannot take anything away from these guides as I can see as to what kind of fish they catch. But to say that there is no way of ever having the fishing know-how that these guides have is a little ignorant.

*end of rant.

Heard the yellowtail were biting pretty locally, who wants to go fishing now?!

😁
Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #62
HAVABASS
Junior

Question???

Does this same "Anti-Help" thinking apply to say...golf lessons, piano lessons, tennis, coaches, driving, tutoring?

Just wondering.....
Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #63
RK

Bump...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #64
Saba Slayer

Teachers...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVABASS View Post
Does this same "Anti-Help" thinking apply to say...golf lessons, piano lessons, tennis, coaches, driving, tutoring?
Just wondering.....
Stupid Teachers trying to learn us all stuff...They buy us books and teach us to read and what do we do? .....We eat the books?

Who needs em...I'm so smart I taught myself everything I need to know...!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #65
Iceman
Administrator

Feel free to debate, but no name calling................ ya goobers!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #66
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVABASS View Post

Just wondering.....
Not sure if anyone has been anti-guide in all of this...might be a money or maybe a pride thing...for others, Erinoo said it better than i could..
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo;2.6452
I carry my jewels in a wheel barrow.
Hahahhahahaha!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #67
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Those people saying that you will never know what these guides know. I have a question for you. Do you think the knowledge that they have came from an older generation guide who taught them? Or perhaps they spent time on the water until they learned on their own. I too cannot take anything away from these guides as I can see as to what kind of fish they catch. But to say that there is no way of ever having the fishing know-how that these guides have is a little ignorant.

*end of rant.

Heard the yellowtail were biting pretty locally, who wants to go fishing now?!

��
This is NOT about being a "little ignorant" 70% of what you will learn or more will be on your own/time on the water. The other 30% comes from friends or a good guide. What really HELP the rate of you're success is being in a large circle of friends who are avid fisherman and feed you constant fish dope. but to say I learned on "my own" is BS.

Like the song says "I get a little help from my friends" Yes, even Tiger Woods hired a guide once.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #68
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Feel free to debate, but no name calling................ BAJA goobers!
Jim, The way things are going this year I think you are going to have to get a larger wheel barrow and wear your greenies too....................

As far as guides go, well some need them and some don't. Make your own choice, me I just rather fish Baja, more fish, more types and usually better size too. I rather catch 100-200 fish a day then maybe 4-5, but thats just me.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #69
jorluivil

I hope that someday I will catch a trophy fish

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #70
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Jim, The way things are going this year I think you are going to have to get a larger wheel barrow and wear your greenies too....................

As far as guides go, well some need them and some don't. Make your own choice, me I just rather fish Baja, more fish, more types and usually better size too. I rather catch 100-200 fish a day then maybe 4-5, but thats just me.
MakoRoberto...if you've given up stateside fishing...find "the book"...you know which one I'm talking about and pass me your Pt Loma Sculpin numbers pal. Jim
Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #71
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
MakoRoberto...if you've given up stateside fishing...find "the book"...you know which one I'm talking about and pass me your Pt Loma Sculpin numbers pal. Jim
Jim do you speak loran c? Those were the days!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #72
Saba Slayer

Guides

OK...MHO...I've been a licensed/bonded DFG kayakfishing guide for 15 years...probably longer than a lot of you have been kayak fishing...that's not to say I know everything there is about fishing or kayaking! I don't and I'm the first to admit it...I love learning new rigging ,fishing tricks, and about the new electronics. I've seen this thread before over the years and it's always a bash on guides and what a waste of money that is. The same comment is usually made..."just come fishing with us".
Most of the kayakers I've taught over the years were very new to the sport of fishing or hooping...many had never been on a kayak before, let alone handled a fish or a lobster. Most didn't have a kayak or had just bought one. These folks had the MONEY to hire a guide and rent a kayak and they saw THEIR VALUE in that learning experience. It wasn't about catching a trophy for them...it was about learning a new sport and having fun. I've also taught a few sonar/GPS OTW clinics and those people were there to learn how to use their expensive electronics....that's why Lowrance has a classroom setting at the Fred Hall Shows. That's why I do seminars teaching kayak fishing and hooping...as a mater of fact I've seen a few of you guide haters at my seminars...why can't you just think of it as a seminar on the water!
It's not always a fun experience as a guide...I've baby-sat some knuckleheads that couldn't catch themselves in a box and I've answered a million questions till I had had it! Not everyone has access to a friend that will teach them the ropes...and the amount of time and attention that I pay to a client thats paying me is very different from the amount of time a friend will spend while fishing with you. It's also a tremendous amount of work setting up two or three yaks getting them on the water and then cleaning the gear and yaks then packing everything away so its clean and ready for the next client...baiting up the cages and cleaning them out...it's a lot of effort and doesn't really work out to a great hourly wage after all the prep and wrap work and time. Ask Ron from Baytubbers...he considered running some guided hoopnet trips...untill he realized how much work and babysitting it can be for only a few bucks.
There are many folks out there that have a gift and don't realize it...I've met lots of kayakers and clients over the years that didn't need a guide...they have that ability to experiment and experience just about anything and learn from it, weather it's from a friend or another kayaker on the water...those folks don't need a guide...! Cherish your God given GIFT and don't rag on those that don't have your life experiences or innate skills and need or can afford a TEACHER!
Then there is the client that wants to get a trophy...much like the Big Game Safaris...these are usually folks with MONEY and that's the way they operate...perhaps your jealous of their way of life or their access to the funds to enjoy their life as they see fit!
To each his own...whatever floats your boat/kayak !

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #73
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I hope that someday I will catch a trophy fish
I always had trouble seeing a complete picture of your trophy fish. All those kayakers around you keep getting in the dam way.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #74
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I always had trouble seeing a complete picture of your trophy fish. All those kayakers around you keep getting in the dam way.
Jorge hasn't caught a trophy fish since Matt moved away...I think. I got a nice butt last year when Matt(aka StinkyMatt) told me to "drop it right now"...bam 28# butt hanging on the clip soon after...word

I'm flying Matt in next month for some guide sessions and I think he still has some dates available if anyone wants to pm him. Jim
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #75
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I've baby-sat some knuckleheads that couldn't catch themselves in a box
Now that made me laugh!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #76
tacmik

Well said Jim (Saba Slayer). I could be way off base on this, but I think that those that don't need a guide(or think they don't). My self included. Go out fishing with the confidence that they will catch fish and can figure out how to catch the targeted species. Those that hire a guide, either don't have the time to put on the water, need a boost for their confidence, are in a new area for just a short time and just want to get out and catch a fish (on vacation). More power to them. Whether you use a guide or not, there is no reason to bash those that use one or the guides themselves. They have a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to impart to those who wish to learn from them while making a living (or supplementing their income) doing something they love.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #77
Mobyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Let's keep jacking Moby's thread...it's a four page thread Moby, congrats!

If you go to Irvine this weekend...you'll be talked about, insulted and bashed.

but if you do not go to Irvine...you'll really be talked about, insulted and bashed...
BUAHAHAHA! Gotta Love It. We got a lively bunch here. I give it less than a day before someone starts speaking in Pirate. . . . Yyaarrrgh!

-Mobyfish
Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #78
fishing md

IN FLYFISHING WE DON'T HAVE THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR LOL..

Last edited by fishing md; 01-29-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #79
Mobyfish

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 8.05.42 PM.png
Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #80
momo fish

Well said Jim...

Maybe if we should change the word guide to coach or teacher... There is a difference for me between using a guide to catch fish verses to learn how to catch fish... There are many reasons why folks use them and all are personal preferences and none should be discounted because of ones own choices. We are all not fortunate enough to have a "group" to share info/intel.

When I finally get frustrated enough or finish paying of the mortgage/tuition etc I will probably call a guide. Hopefully I can figure things out on my own using the forums,books etc. I also started fishing without a circle of friends who fished and had to learn a lot of things the hard way.. It was a great feeling once I did start landing fish but also grew frustrated each time I lost a possible trophy.

What's that old saying.. "Teach a man to fish..." That's what guides to me are doing.. Some will learn and be able to apply that knowledge others will probably die of starvation. 😊

Anyhow always love this discussion and to each their own as this will never be agreed nor does it need to be.
Closed Thread