Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
voodoo
Junior

first post ... getting back into the sport

I'm getting back into the swing of things . I've been kayak fishing for over ten years,probably 13-14. Had my yak stolen a while back too. Was pretty discouraged at that point. Got another and now I had a son that's old enough to have an interest in fishing and kayaking. I've taken him fishing on local lakes thinking we would slay em but we've been skunked every time. We made our maiden voyage on a tandem we picked up at SD bay at tidelands. I used to slay the trout in the lakes and smoke the spotties in the bay. I know the sport has changed but the fish haven't right?? I'm thinking MB this weekend . my kid is kind of like me as he hasn't given up yet but I need some tips on bait/lures and spots I guess as my spots aren't producing. While I love catching fish I need him to catch some fish. Insure he's tired of me saying " that's why they call it fishing and not catching."
Thanks in advance . I'm looking forward to catching up with people and meeting new folks too.
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Amish Ed

I posted this a few weeks ago in response to info on shore fishing MB. But, it's the same for the yak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I'd go with the 6lb for sure over the 20lb or 30lb. Those would be good for spinner baits though. Depending on the worms you have (4-6"), they could work great. Also, creature baits can be amazing too. Texas or Carolina rigs are perfect in the eel grass. Also, pick up some 3/8oz Warbait Slayer heads and 3-4" swimbaits.

If I was going Big Hammer I'd buy Sexy Smelt, Red Calico Hunter, and Rainbow Trout. Look those colors up on their website Then go to some place like Dana Landing and buy whatever baits are similar or that just look good to you. Personally, I prefer and mostly use Edge Flurries for Swimbaits. I like Greenback, Minnow Magic, and a bunch of others.

Also, I've been fishing Zman Paddlerz. But, I have no idea where to buy them except online. I use Tackle Warehouse. I use them on the 3/8oz Slayer head.

As far as walking the shore; Just find a stretch of beach that's long so you have lots of area to work and go from there. Maybe Fiesta Island as it has lots of shoreline and is easily accessible.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of where to start.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
voodoo
Junior

Thanks Ed, I know you've been around the sport for quite some time too. I guess I just needed a refresher. I'm trying to get to MB this weekend some time (got to work). I'll post a report.
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Amish Ed

You're welcome. As yes, I've been around a while. 13-14 years, just like you. Good luck out there this weekend.