Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #41
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) protects all marine mammals, including cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), pinnipeds (seals and sea lions), sirenians (manatees and dugongs), sea otters, and polar bears within the waters of the United States.

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, feed, hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal.

....sew pretty sure wackin' a seal with a BB Gun is O.U.T of bounds.

Just sayin'.....
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #42
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) protects all marine mammals, including cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), pinnipeds (seals and sea lions), sirenians (manatees and dugongs), sea otters, and polar bears within the waters of the United States.

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, feed, hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal.

Just sayin'.....
a seal getting on your kayak (to harass you or steal your fish) is out of bounds too, just sayin

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #43
corpsmanusn2001

All you have to say is, "I was afraid for my life. I had to protect myself." Then again, in this state, that might not fly...
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #44
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

The Act makes it illegal to "take" marine mammals without a permit. This means people may not harass, FEED hunt, capture, collect, or kill any marine mammal or part of a marine mammal.

Just sayin'.....

So since we cannot feed them, I will go to any means so that my bait is not stolen off my hook and they won't get fed. I personally will make sure that I don't feed the seals 100% 😉
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #45
YakDout
Brandon

Just sayin'
Old 03-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #46
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsmanusn2001 View Post
All you have to say is, "I was afraid for my life. I had to protect myself." Then again, in this state, that might not fly...
I swear officer, I couldn't find my bubba blade, so I just brought my machete instead, and as I was fileted this mackerel, I was attacked. My instincts were to swing at it, but I didn't mean to decapitate him, I swear. It was all in self defense. .........

Just sayin
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #47
corpsmanusn2001

Lol. Right!!?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #48
Zed
BANNED

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
Id take the .30 for polar bears, myself.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #49
YakDout
Brandon

@pinhead

I hope this helps. This came from the U.S. Department of commerce. Any form of non lethal deterrence is ok by the government. Paintball guns, BB's guns WIDE OPEN, airsoft guns? YOU GOT IT! Non lethal is ok by them. So tony I hope this answers your question to BB guns as they are a non lethal form of deterrence.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426550319.765663.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 03-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #50
YakDout
Brandon

Oh and fully auto is not recommended but also not illegal so hope that helps 😁
Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #51
GregAndrew

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I did not see where the OP said that he fed the Sea Lion. For all you critics know, that Sea Lion could have brought that Mack with him and is just tired of getting salt water all over his food. Don't get me wrong, soup can be good, but not every meal!

On a serious note, read my lips, not every Sea Lion is going to grow up to be a 300# Knothead that can only catch hooked bait. I have plenty of video of them passing on my bait. I even have video of a couple different groups of them communicating as one approached my bait, only to have it veer off.

Sea Lions, like Sharks, are part of the price of doing business. How much of a price, can be entirely up to you. If you leave your bait in the water as they swim up, they are likely to hang around a while. If you pull it in, they will search your area and be gone in about 5 minutes. If you fish in groups, you are more likely to have them visit, and it will take longer to get them to leave. If you toss your dead bait out when they are around, you encourage them to seek out kayaks. Seagulls are happy to get rid of your discards, and the next one will be by in 5 minutes or so.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #52
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

@YackDout - Awesome find!

So I wonder *who-trumps-who* in court, The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) or U.S. Department of commerce ?

Who cares....I say carry a sharp stick, big knife, fishbat er' whatever and protect yourself, your YT and your Yak.

Haze the seals with a FOX40 Whistle....AMAZINGLY LOUD. Blast that dude in the face...hahhahah
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #53
YakDout
Brandon

Now you're speaking my language.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #54
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Hurk's Harpoon Gun is Hilarious - Far Cry 4 Montage: https://youtu.be/6_ZNZBXXrCU
Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #55
ful-rac
Emperor

I see starter pistols, water soluble paintball guns, non lethal ammunition, rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers...what ever that is....

I think Interpreting that as BB guns are ok to use to deter a seal is a bit of a stretch....but I hope your right...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #56
corpsmanusn2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I see starter pistols, water soluble paintball guns, non lethal ammunition, rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers...what ever that is....

I think Interpreting that as BB guns are ok to use to deter a seal is a bit of a stretch....but I hope your right...
I agree. BBs and pellets might get you into trouble.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #57
Dane101

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I fill macks with super hot, hot sauce then put them in my line when the sea lions r being bothersome, they do not like hot stuff.
How about Habenero sauce green ??????
Dane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #58
voodoo
Junior

definitely the mammals

Quote:

So I wonder *who-trumps-who* in court, The U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) or U.S. Department of commerce ?

Who cares....I say carry a sharp stick, big knife, fishbat er' whatever and protect yourself, your YT and your Yak.

Haze the seals with a FOX40 Whistle....AMAZINGLY LOUD. Blast that dude in the face...hahhahah
In CA ?? The seals win hands down. All animals win. Also in CA anything that looks like a firearm should probably be left at home unless you possess a ccw , then having the cap gun/starter pistol out and somebody seeing it is another story. Better stick to seasoning the bait and or "paddling with intensity". Its been a while since I've been out at LJ but reading about the increase in numbers I can see the concern.
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #59
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I fill macks with super hot, hot sauce then put them in my line when the sea lions r being bothersome, they do not like hot stuff.
I wasn't gonna give away your secret, but since you insist.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #60
driftwood

Quote:

PINHEAD, you do know that hurting/shooting a seal even with a BB gun is a felony.
Sea Lion Shooter - YouTube

Last edited by driftwood; 03-16-2015 at 09:29 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote