Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Mahigeer

How-to, if you are going to Baja with Mr. MakoBob

This report is for people who would like to join Mr. MakoBob in Baja, kayak fishing for the first time.
It is recommendations based on my own observations during the recent trip. The reader may need to adjust to their own needs and way of doing things.

Unless you are a young and in good physical condition with commend of a paddle only kayak; Hobie Mirage drive kayaks could be the most important item that you need on this trip.

The paddle only kayakers will benefit of using spinning reel outfits rather than the conventional reels.
While you are undoing the inevitable and unavoidable backlash, the kayak most likely will change position due to wind and current.

For fishing gear; small castmaster and Krocodile lures in silver color are the go to lures. Steel leader is a must to keep from losing lures. Fish here are not line shy. Double check the ready-made steel leaders.

If at all possible, use a buddy system to go south. In addition to the obvious---safety in numbers and saving on fuel cost, it is very helpful to have someone with you all the time to help with loading, unloading of the gear and the kayaks. It is more likely others will help you if they are there and asked, but they may not be around.

Be mindful of others to see if they need help. Travis who is in the Navy and is trained to be a team member was an example of this attitude. He saw me coming off the water, and came to help me put the kayak on the dolly. Later he asked if I needed help loading my heavy Yeti cooler. Thanks Travis.

Having your own transportation, makes it possible to fish at other locations than the camp.

We had a working bathroom and shower. No hot water, but it was really not necessary. The water in the tank on the roof was warming up in the sun and felt good in the hot environment. Bob is building his own bathroom, and may have a solar heater.

Starting a week before departure, I took Bioprobics pills and used only bottle water to wash my teeth.
Be sure to keep your food in cooler and cold.

Stay in shade whenever possible and drink plenty of fluids. A hat and sunglass are a must.

No need to exchange Dollars for pesos. Everybody accepts Dollars.
Though I did not get to see it personally, there is a store which has ice and some other necessities.
20 lbs. bag of ice was 50.00 Pesos. I had 50 lbs. of block ice in my Yeti cooler which lasted (7) days. Then I had to get a bag of ice. The block ice lasts long, but it leaves little room for other stuff. Depending on the size of the cooler.

The camp is safe to leave your stuff. Valuables like passport, money, camera, etc. should be locked in your vehicle. My motto is from an old insurance commercial—“Prevention is the best protection”.

A sun shade for your windshield will help keep your vehicle cooler. Maybe a small solar charger hooked up to your battery will keep your battery up in its charge. That is if you don’t drive at all for a week.

Most people left their kayaks on the beach (see picture in my report), above the high tide line. No problem. Some even left their rods there.

Even if you don’t catch any fish, which will be hard to do, you will get a great exercise. I lost (7) lbs. paddling, pulling kayak on soft sand, walking on soft sand, loading and unloading gear and sweating.

A comfortable chair and a small table will be very useful during the meals and other times relaxing on the porch. A binocular will provide a good view of the activity on the water in the distance.

I am updating my personal list. Adding some items and removing some items. If you like, send a PM to me and I will send you my list. It could be a reference to start your own list.

I had a problem with my VHF radio antenna. My battery also was nearly empty even though it was off!
A spare antenna as well as a spare battery which is charged would be an additional safety items to have.

Lastly---If you are offered a meal by Buddha, be sure to ask if you can pitch-in with cleaning the pots and pans.

Be prepared, pay attention to safety, and most importantly take along a good attitude to share with friends.

As your host would say---“tight lines and fishy dreams”.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-30-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
Goose1993

What fish do you target on this trip?
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
MrPukaShell

There are a few things that every person going should have.

A hand held VHF Radio in working condition. Check and recheck to make sure it is with you along with the charger.
A "Lounge" chair. This was passed on to me by Captnblood and it was a life saver. Get at Costco when in season for $60.00
The cell phone number's of the vehicles going down. You want to communicate in case you get separated while in travel. We got cut off and it would have been beneficial.
Water, bring plenty. I brought a 5 gallon cooler with 20 lbs of ice and water and it lasted several days with a few guys drinking off of it. Costco has the best deal on water, 6 1 gallon bottles were under $4.00 out the door.

A tip on Ice management. Freeze anything you can prior to loading the ice chest. I have a 110 quart cooler (Not a Yeti). I put in a 50 lb block of ice on one side standing up and it fit perfectly. On one side of the block I put a 1.75 L of Tequila and on the other I put 15 of the frozen Gatorade's standing up and a thermos of Cold Brew coffee. Then I covered that with "Crushed" ice. Added the remaining Gatorade's and covered with more crushed ice. I did this on Friday morning when I left home and have enough ice to last 9 days. We did add some lunch meat during the week along with some other items. Since the Gatorades were frozen it froze everything together as a solid block. You had to chip out the drinks as you needed them and they still had ice in them which was nice. If I was a beer drinker I would bring an extra cooler just for beer.

As for fishing gear I believe that depends on the time of year you are going. The fish are tough on plastics and destroy them in one or two cast. Metal lures are the way to go. If they are eating the small baits make sure you have extra split rings and hooks. The small hooks get straighten out and you will need to replace them.

Tight lines and hope this helps a little.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Mahigeer

All good points Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1993 View Post
What fish do you target on this trip?
I think roosterfish on fly was the ultimate goal.
Followed by yellowtail on any tackle and whatever else that wanted to play.

Easiest was triggerfish due to its abundance there.

Casting in the middle of Sierra boil was a lot of fun too. This is where Hobie Mirage shines.
On my kayak, by the time I got to the boil and started to cast, I would drift away.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
taggermike

Great list of items. Plastics work but like Mrpukashell said, they don't last long. Every thing has teeth n nothing is safe from the triggers. Crocs or about any thing shiny n metal will get bit. Bring some wire leaders, or better, learn the haywire twist n do your own. Durable plugs are good for trolling. I've been on trips where I did the exact opposite with the ice strategy. I brought no ice and nothing that needs to be kept cold. But it sure makes things simply. Dry, canned, or by fresh stuff when you're in mexico. I'll ice up if I want to bring fish home. Crazy? Maybe. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The world needs more people like Mahi Geer who are so well organized that it is almost a neurosis. His list of things to bring is all inclusive but having said that, it is much higher more than I brought down knowing get I was going to be down here for a year at a minimum. You will miss out on some of the Baja adventure and interaction with the great folks living here if you are over prepared.

And lest I lose my rep as the number one pedal boat critic, I have to say that I disagree with most of the Hobie comments. But that's just me. But it for you must, don't forget your box of spare parts.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Mahigeer

You are too kind.

I guess if I had a lighter, better maneuverable kayak like others, I would not feel so strongly about the Hobie.

I too am leery of the many parts that could go wrong on the Mirage drive.

Just worrying about remembering to prepare for landing, took some away from the fun of ridding one.

Of course I was using Bob's kayak, and I felt more responsible than if it was my own.

I am modifying my list. Removing what was not needed and adding what would be good to have.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Ask CaboJohn about bringing the fookinAC. He'll let you know a thing or 2 about overpacking.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
The world needs more people like Mahi Geer who are so well organized that it is almost a neurosis. His list of things to bring is all inclusive but having said that, it is much higher more than I brought down knowing get I was going to be down here for a year at a minimum. You will miss out on some of the Baja adventure and interaction with the great folks living here if you are over prepared.

And lest I lose my rep as the number one pedal boat critic, I have to say that I disagree with most of the Hobie comments. But that's just me. But it for you must, don't forget your box of spare parts.
Ross I have been a critic of the pedal kayaks as well as my FB Group gave me a lot of crap since I was able to borrow a Hobie on this trip for a week.

Interesting article. http://wavewalk.com/blog/2010/10/11/...ishing-kayaks/

What are your criticisms of the pedal kayaks other than possible breakdown of parts?

Last edited by buddha; 10-30-2015 at 09:50 AM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Ross I have been a critic of the pedal kayaks as well as my FB Group gave me a lot of crap since I was able to borrow a Hobie on this trip for a week.

What are your criticisms of the pedal kayaks other than possible breakdown of parts?

I'm just an old fashioned purist when it comes to kayak fishing. The Hobie does not fit any definition that I can find of a kayak. I have tremendous admiration for Hobie as a company. They are innovative and understanding of the needs of their customers and the mirage drive is simply a brilliant piece mechanical technology. Much like I appreciate Apple and their products, I won't own one. With both companies there is, for me anyway, a gap between value and cost of the products and between value and cost of parts. Obviously in my current situation I could be dead in the water for months if I had an unplanned for breakdown on a pedal boat, and if I planned for all breakdowns, I would have another grand tied up in spares, which is $350 more than i have ever paid for any of my kayaks.

The last time Sven and Makobob were down here we were having a particularly good day out at Isla San Roque. Sven and I had each caught 8 or 10 yellowtail and my arms felt like noodles and as we began out 2 mile trip back to the launch i got on the radio and said "God i wish i had a Hobie right now". As soon as the comment was out of my mouth I made Sven and Bob swear an oath of secrecy that my comment could never be repeated. I have since gone to confession and done my penance and hopefully will not backside again
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Ask CaboJohn about bringing the fookinAC. He'll let you know a thing or 2 about overpacking.

That's right!
No need to pack like an ultra light back packer... when you are set up for luxury remote 4x4 camping.
Baja was fookin HOT...so I brought a generator and Fookin AC on one trip to BOLA
I got so much crap for bringing this stuff...Ill never hear the end!
But nobody said shit when they needed to charge batteries.
OR when we had 200+ range balls and a driver to play with.

In the future, less is more. Ill just bring the hammock and more cerveza.

Last edited by cabojohn; 10-30-2015 at 11:01 AM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Mahigeer

I agree that anything with a Hobie logo on it is overpriced.

That is one down side of owning a Hobie.

The Mirage drive is an engineering marvel. Since it is the only one in the market, they can ask what they want.

When the patent runs out and or another inventor comes out with a way to help propel a kayak easier, the prices more likely go down.

Side note:
I did not list it, but I had brought a magnetic dart game and newly bought (for this trip) Backgammon set. The group was more into talking fish after dinner than doing anything else, so I did not bring them out.

As to my own list, should I have left my prescription medicine, bottled water, or underwear at home?
I am modifying it though to make it more adoptive to the future trip/s.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-30-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Didn't want this thread to get hijacked so here is my reply

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...141#post246141

as far as the trip goes one thing that I can suggest that worked really well for us was to carry an ice chest that is strictly dedicated for ice. Also, if you have a deep freezer make blocks of ice, the blocks seem to last longer than the cubed ice.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
buddha

I got that link from Jimmy Zee as he posted it on another forum. I didn't realize it was from wave walk. Anyway discussion is always good and people can make their own conclusions.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
That's right!
No need to pack like an ultra light back packer... when you are set up for luxury remote 4x4 camping.
Baja was fookin HOT...so I brought a generator and Fookin AC on one trip to BOLA
I got so much crap for bringing this stuff...Ill never hear the end!
But nobody said shit when they needed to charge batteries.
OR when we had 200+ range balls and a driver to play with.

In the future, less is more. Ill just bring the hammock and more cerveza.
"Is that a Titleist?"
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
_Obed
Bird nest master

Thanks to everyone for the pointers, but living in Mexico most of my life I've picked up a few things. You don't NEED a certain kayak especially one so expensive, you just need one to go fish with friends. It sounds like like someone is working for hobie with that comment.

And as for the money comment, true everyone takes dollars but at their own rate. best recommendation that my family and I use, would be exchange up here in the USA.
San Ysidro has exchange places that will offer a lot more for your buck. Unless you have boatloads of cash and don't care... not my case.

Peace and have a nice trip out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #17
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
Thanks to everyone for the pointers, but living in Mexico most of my life I've picked up a few things. You don't NEED a certain kayak especially one so expensive, you just need one to go fish with friends. It sounds like like someone is working for hobie with that comment.

And as for the money comment, true everyone takes dollars but at their own rate. best recommendation that my family and I use, would be exchange up here in the USA.
San Ysidro has exchange places that will offer a lot more for your buck. Unless you have boatloads of cash and don't care... not my case.

Peace and have a nice trip out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if this remark is meant for me. In case it is, I have no affiliation to Hobie or its dealers. My recommendation was based on my own observation.

There was a Hobie employee there in the group, but he has not commented yet.

I did get Pesos at home, but ended up bringing most of it back. I had little expenses there.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
_Obed
Bird nest master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I don't know if this remark is meant for me. In case it is, I have no affiliation to Hobie or its dealers. My recommendation was based on my own observation.

There was a Hobie employee there in the group, but he has not commented yet.

I did get Pesos at home, but ended up bringing most of it back. I had little expenses there.
Not meant to anyone, scanning through it and caught my eye. Wouldn't want any one to feel discouraged because of someone else's style of fishing.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
taggermike

Great posts n ideas. Just a few general baja thoughts. The Costco here in Chula vista(Broadway and Naples) has a money exchange office. I recall getting a very good rate there.

IMO the first concern and safety issue is your vehicle. On a gonzaga trip your on paved highway and near towns, not a Baja 1000 experience, but still an extra spare, extra jack, serious tow strap, a strong come along, and a real full sized shovel can Save the day. 4x4s still get stuck.

Don't think any ones mentioned first aid. A good kit, but more importantly first aid knowledge can be critical. Lots of things can happen on Baja trips and you're not calling 911. Slips/falls while fishing from rocks, f'n sting rays n urchins, heat related trauma, embedded fish hooks. None of us is gettin any younger so that opens the door to plenty of issues. Years ago a buddy had a 2 week dream surf trip end after 4 days cause a guy had the "revenge"so bad the dehydration was close to putting him in shock.

Hobie's are great fishing kayaks but they are heavy and a bit complicated. I recall fulrac's baja report of breaking a miarge drive. That doesn't happed often but in a PA you're not saving a trip with a paddle. At Bob's place it looks like you have sand and an easy launch. Other places aren't so easy. I use an old OK Prowler. Paddles n fishes great n light enough to trailer or carry about any where. It would bum me out but if the yak was lost, destroyed, or stollen it wouldn't be a financial set back. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Mahigeer

All good points. Thanks.

I did not include my list in this thread, because I did not want to make it a very long post.

I had in my list; First Aide kit, Hook removal kit and heavy duty cutter for cutting heavy gauge hooks.

Since I did not drive, I did not have any vehicle related items, except some basic hand tools and of course duct tape!

Bob did have a heavy duty tow cable. It was used to get Jack out of the sand.

Good to know about Costco. I have to check to see if the ones near me do exchange. I doubt it.
Their price for bottled water was great. I took two bundles and they lasted me with some left over.