Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
domtesta27

I think this will have to replace the Hobie I was gonna buy for next Octobers Mexico trip, keep the paddle yak for the short day trips and get one of these for longer range and getting out to those islands in a flash!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
I think this will have to replace the Hobie I was gonna buy for next Octobers Mexico trip, keep the paddle yak for the short day trips and get one of these for longer range and getting out to those islands in a flash!
Under normal Gonzaga conditions I would figure 15-20 minutes out and maybe 30 minutes back to and from Island. About an hour straight run to Punta Final in fair conditions. Will not know for sure until we put them into the Sea of Cortez as to how they will take the Gulf wave/chop conditions. Remember the Pangas were specifically designed for that chop. Only time will tell, but I am betting that they will do fine. Testing will take place in Gonzaga this spring as the Spring Break Trips will give us a chance to test them extensively down there. Yes YOU can test drive mine at Campo Turistico at KM 134, if I am there. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Hot off the Phone

GOOD NEWS from Tom at Solo Skiffs he just told me that OUR skiffs will leave their facility on the 13th (next MONDAY) and should arrive in So. Cal by the 20th of March. Just in time for the Spring Break Baja trips. HAPPY DAYS are here again! Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
defjack

Thats good news I cant wait to get down there.
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Under normal Gonzaga conditions I would figure 15-20 minutes out and maybe 30 minutes back to and from Island. About an hour straight run to Punta Final in fair conditions. Will not know for sure until we put them into the Sea of Cortez as to how they will take the Gulf wave/chop conditions. Remember the Pangas were specifically designed for that chop. Only time will tell, but I am betting that they will do fine. Testing will take place in Gonzaga this spring as the Spring Break Trips will give us a chance to test them extensively down there. Yes YOU can test drive mine at Campo Turistico at KM 134, if I am there. Tight Lines.
I don't know, Bob. Just looking at that Skiff, scares the dickens out of me, if caught on open water with some heavy breeze. Hope you guys use a tether and kill switch. I could just see getting knocked off one of those while standing, maybe even sitting. I would imagine those motors will take a lot of abuse, salt spray. Will be interesting to hear your reports on performance.
Even on my motorized trimaran/TI, I get a bit nervous when the wind picks up, hold on tight, getting knocked around, while crossing open water.

The more I read about this skiff, the more I wouldn't choose it as an option for out front.
A Hobie AI with motor mounted (be it smaller), is going to weigh about the same as that Skiff (larger motor). I think I would rather be caught in the open with a trimaran than that skiff, especially Sea of Cortez. You can still do about 6 to 8 miles an hour on the AI, more comfortable seating, safer, additional powering means with sail and pedals. More storage capacity.

Also as a suggestion for a cart. I would check out the C-Tug Sandtrakz. It would just be at the limit of it's suggested max capacity of 176lbs. But you could break down the cart and take with you on the skiff. Would be nice, because then you can just pull the skiff into the water on the cart, release cart and store, on landing, pull out cart and install before landing. I would keep a tether on the cart.

I also like the air cooled Hondas for starting on the beach before pulling the TI into the water, so when the moment is right I can pull the TI forward and jump in/ gun it, especially for heavier surf. NOTE: I leave the cart in place and remove once past the surf. (Sea of Cortez, a non issue)

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 03-19-2017 at 02:48 AM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

These Solo Skiffs are pretty neat and have their place.
I can see the fun chasing big fish & exotics. Big bang for the buck.
I can also see dangers of this small craft too!
One could get in serious trouble or in waaaay over ones head very quickly when chit goes south. It's only a matter of time...
Pick your days and be smart when you go out. Set your boat up with ALL THE SAFETY GEAR! The life you save may be your own.
BE SAFE.
$.02
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
These Solo Skiffs are pretty neat and have their place.
I can see the fun chasing big fish & exotics. Big bang for the buck.
I can also see dangers of this small craft too!
One could get in serious trouble or in waaaay over ones head very quickly when chit goes south. It's only a matter of time...
Pick your days and be smart when you go out. Set your boat up with ALL THE SAFETY GEAR! The life you save may be your own.
BE SAFE.
$.02
That's all you need to know right there...

This was designed to be a flats / mangrove boat from the start. Not something you would take the the 9 mile bank - though I won't hesitate to take it to La Jolla or off Point Loma on our typical calm days...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote