Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
old_rookie

Considering taking up kayak fishing

Always thought kayaking was a cool way to get around the water. Been interested in fishing lately and thought of increasing my odds by being on the water instead of casting from the beach, pier or rocks.

Some things kind of stick in my mind - lifting a kayak to the roof rack... flipping over and losing my gear, and flipping over or (if I get the balls to hit the surf) getting plowed and losing my glasses (yeah, I need them to get around). Figured I'll go to the Fred Hall show this weekend and lift a few kayaks over my head - or attempt it - see if I can manage that before going any further. If that works, fish in the bay for a while until I master the kayak - then, gear free - hit the surf.

Looks like a lot of seasoned fishing kayakers here.
I'm open to any advice suggestions.

Thanks
Mike
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
prowlerdude

Whats to consider?

Roof racks no problem once you get the hang of them.

Stow your gear

One of those squishy head band thingy's for your glasses

Start in the Bays until you feel comfortable on the kayak

And what you've already done ask lots of questions
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Too much worrying. Get out on the water at sunrise and feel the water pass underneath you. Even if you lose your sunglasses and all your gear in the surf; it's less than a half a tank of gas on a boat.
Aside from surfing; it's the best thing money can't buy.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
old_rookie

I wonder how many times someone walking into the surf at LJ stumbled across a rod. It may be less than half a tank of gas, but it still is crap in the ocean and an expense to replace - and definitely not a time to stand and show off. I have prescription glasses - the head band thingy is a good idea.

Last edited by old_rookie; 03-23-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Old Rookie...my first advice...kayakers are a bunch of miscreants, border line Neanderthals...avoid them at all costs.

Second - it is much easier to land any fish of size from a yak than any boat.

Third - it is a watersport, you are bound to get wet, and there is a learning curve.

And finally, you've come to the right place. Hire a guide. Or ask and ye shall receive - plenty of folks would be glad to give you advice, if you are willing to heed that advice.

No need to worry about lost gear if you stow it or leash it, besides, how much $ do you allot for fishing anyway?

But I must warn you - we are a different breed, considered speed bumps by some...comrades by others, and nuisances by the extremists...but we don't buy fish at the store, it is always fresh.

Losing a rod and reel to the sea has no comparison to going on a sleigh ride and landing a trophy of a lifetime...until you catch the next trophy...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
bigbarrels

do it
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Billy V

Go for it.

Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Kayak Rookie
Junior

I was where you are at about a year ago except I had not done a lot of fishing it just seemed like a great idea and a good alternative to buying a boat. So looked around and found that Southwestern college offerd a kayak class out on the strand on the bay side. All the questions that you are asking are great questions, if you buy the right yak you should never rollover, but what if you do. You can learn the basics, like reentering you kayak if you fall out, which side to enter it from, down wind side, what happens if you lose you paddle, and you will get a taste of paddling for a cheap price.

Once you get all that figured out you can work on keeping your gear on the boat, but as we all do at some time a sacrifice to the sea of a knife, pliers, rod, or what have you is the cost of doing business four inches off the water and being in the game.

If you decide to say the hell with it and take the plunge I would suggest the bay for your first couple runs or some fresh water fishing for bass or trout. My kid peddles around Otay all the time and usually does well.

Once you are ready for a try at La Jolla hiring a guide or hooking up with someone else that has some experience is a great idea. Ask around and you will get a couple of referrals for a guide or two.

Now if you are still reading the next big question you have to ask is which Kayak. Now after finishing that paddling class I went over to Fastlane Kayak and tried a Hobie, and the deal was done. If you can't afford a new one then shop craigslist and something will show up. Peddle vs Paddle is the question that you have to answer.

By the way I have 4 hobies, two of my sons fish with me, the youngest is all in to fishing, my third one is a little hestitant about fishing, but you never know when the bug will bite. To be honest I suck at fishing but I love the fact that I am four inches above the water and getting the crap scared out of me when a seal pops his head up two feet away, or dolphins break water right next to you. I have not caught the trophy fish yet but I will, who cares when, the boys and I will be on the water hopefully for years to come, and maybe their kids. That is if the MLPA will let us.....but that is a whole nother story.

Best of luck
Kayak Rookie
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

You have already entered the world of Kayaking, and one thing you will learn really fast is that you are never alone. Someone, for the most part, will always be there to help you.

I too had the same worries, but not now and that is mainly because of all the help I received on this site. All the things that you are worried about we all can help you learn how to prevent them, or at least keep you from losing anything. The way you set up your yak should be in such a way to prevent from losing thing. Rods should be secured either in the yak or with bungies or something. Same goes with your gear. Check out Youtube and search for videos on riging your Kayak. Milk crates make it really easy to rig your yak. There is also a thread on this site I think it's called share your innovations or something like that. There are many ideas for you to use there.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6394
I've learned a lot from all of these guys. Just don't be shy about asking for help, I had to have surgery on my arm Monday because I didn't ask for help.

Welcome to Kayak fishing, and if you need any pointers I'll be glad to help out. If you attend the Fred hall show meet up with the OEX guys and the hobie guys. When I upgrade to a bigger yak I'm thinking of going withthe Malibu Stealth. That will be a while though.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 03-24-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
stairman

now see what you have gone and done......pandora's box said do NOT open!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairman View Post
That's probably what my wife is thinking.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
That's probably what my wife is thinking.
I just started fishing off the kayak and I must say that It is the most fun I have had since drift fishing in Humboldt for steelhead and salmon. There are some good paddling videos on Youtube to watch. Better paddling technique will help you last on longer distances. I went out with my son on a calm day and we had fun just zipping out to the kelp. Take out the kayak a few times so you will build up confidence and strength. Also you will be amazed at how stable the fishing kayaks are. Have fun.

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Rob929

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairman View Post
Yep, I would have to agree. If you have any cell in your body affected by the fishing sickness, and are at all intrigued by kayak fishing.. It's probably already too late to back out

reading up on this site will no doubt inspire you to at least try it, and by then you will be hooked.

You have definately come to the right place. Keep reading, keep asking questions. To address what you have already asked- I lift my kayak over my head no problem. They range from about 50-75 lbs depending. BUT.. many people do not lift them. I built a simple roller bar assembly at the back of my tailgate. I can set the nose of the kayak on the, then simply roll it up to the rack. Some people just keep them down in a truck bed with a bed extender. Others with smaller vehicles can do similar. Guys build sliders/ rollers on their trunk area, and roll 'em on up.. You can be very creative, and there is a lot of info flaoting around. I think there is a Hobie video floating around that shows a bar on the front rack that slides out. You lift the front of the kayak onto that bar, then lift the back up the the rear rack bar. Gives you a pivot point and a lot of leverage so you aren't lifting a lot at all.

Dumping/ rolling in your kayak can be a concern. Buy or make some rod leashes, straps etc. When going in and out of the surf on less than calm days, make sure everythins is leashed and secure- Or stow it below deck. With practice you will know when you need to be worried about that as you learn your abilities.

Fred Hall should be good. Don't forget to see the guys over at oex. They will be more than willing to answer any/ all your questions. You can also get a feel for which Kayaks you want to learn more about.

Good luck..
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

it can be addictive that's for sure
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
-scallywag-
Banned

you're married!!!!

Pull out while you still can!!!!!

Kayak fishing is more expensive and devistating to relationships than having a kid with a mistress....don't say we didn't warn you!!!

And since knowbody else dropped any shameless plugs, I'll do it. Don't even think about buying a yak until you've peddled a Hobie Revo or Adventure. And remember you can always paddle them if you want to!!!
I think they do testdrives at OEX oceanside.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
you're married!!!!

Pull out while you still can!!!!!

Kayak fishing is more expensive and devistating to relationships than having a kid with a mistress....don't say we didn't warn you!!!

And since knowbody else dropped any shameless plugs, I'll do it. Don't even think about buying a yak until you've peddled a Hobie Revo or Adventure. And remember you can always paddle them if you want to!!!
I think they do testdrives at OEX oceanside.
Oh man - sounds like first hand experience - but I think owning a boat for fishing is worse.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Kayak Rookie
Junior

And so what Kayak are you looking at? Scallywag left out the Outback and the Proangler. Both are pretty wide boats and will give you a sense of security on the water. But Paddleing them is not the method of choice, the Revolution and the Adventure will cut water and track very well either peddling or paddling.

Getting enough advice. It's all good!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
old_rookie

Not sure yet which one. I've also thought of a tandem to take a long one of the kids - but they are probably much heavier than singles. I've gotten advice of all sorts of brands - Malibu seems to be the top contender. I'll stop by OEX at the Fred Hall show and see what they have - get a first hand look. The other day I stopped at REI - they have a lot, but nothing that I could sit on or pick up. Man - some of them are long a$$ kayaks.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
Jimmyz123

It sounds as if you had the same eye opening that I did. When I went to OEX Mission bay the first time I was amazed at the sizes of the yaks. Don't let it sway you however it's all good for overall enjoyment. After the Fred Hall show go test paddle some yaks at OEX Mission you'll learn all you need to know.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Kayak Rookie
Junior

Don't forget Craigslist there can be some sweet deals with people moving or giving up fishing....you may be able to get a fully rigged yak for what you would pay for a new one. Kayaks are pretty tough and you can get many years of usage out them!