Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
walrus

Technique question (Bait)

Saturday I was sitting off La Jolla, nothing is biting, it started to get light enough to see and as usual I begin to think too much.
I thought about how I hook bait, should I hook the fly line bait the same or different from the bottom rig? In freshwater I hook live bait thru the nose or before the dorsal when flylining and behind the anal for bottom fish(catfish). Does the same technique true in saltwater?
What is the best way to hook live bait in La Jolla or is it dependent what fish is targeted? YT?, WSB?, butts?
Is one method better for greenbacks and another better for Spanish?, Sardines?, or even anchovies?
How important is hook size, I mean is there a big difference in getting bit using a 2/0 vs. 3/0 when targeting yellowtail with greenbacks for bait?
I know how sometimes a little thing can be the difference between fish or skunk for dinner, so in advance thanks for the help, I’m getting tired of stinking skunk.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Dan

2/0 circles or j hooks (owner sizing) with greenies or spanish is a great starting size. hook them thru the nostrils....if it's fishy and you're not getting bit, mix it up: size down, go down to 20lb floro, carolina, dropper loop, sliding sinker, yo yo, megabait.

Good rules:

1) Don't use the same bait for more than 15-20 minutes ---- so, make a shitload of bait.

2) If you are fishing in or near large areas of bait...contrast your bait with the main species in the ball. If it's all spanish, put a greenie out. If it's all sardines, work a megabait etc....Also, if you are sitting on an area of bait, make a bunch and put fresh ones out immediately and swap often.

3) Never sit there "soakin a bait". Use your meter, your eyes, ears and your instincts and keep changing it up just like the fish are. But, don't fall into the trap I sometimes do and do too much at once...you'll find your balance and yellowtail.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
lamb

Dan's post above is golden.

In my inshore tackle box, I have 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 hooks. 2/0 can be used for everything we fish on locally, but I like to keep 2/0s for sardines, and try to use 3/0 for macks... or even 4/0s, if bigger model macks.

For halibut, I try to rig up a cheater treble 1/0 hook in addition to 2/0 or 3/0 main hook... it pays off often. I do nothing fancy - tie the hook to the main 2/0 or 3/0 main hook, then tie another couple of inches of line with a treble to it. Main hook through the nostrils, cheater behind the bait's ass.

I do J hooks only... and I always hook the bait through the nostrils.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
walrus

Sounds like I'm on the right track except I do keep my bait too Long. So far never had a problem making enough bait so I'll just make more and change it sooner.

Thanks.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Sounds like I'm on the right track except I do keep my bait too Long. So far never had a problem making enough bait so I'll just make more and change it sooner.

Thanks.
x2

Learn something new every day, thx guys.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Thanks Walrus, a lot of good questions. I'm sure most of us have asked at some point or another. And thanks Dan for your responses. One thing I've always wondered is when fishing the dropper loop, I guess #1. How big of a loop? Are most guys/you tying the hook to the loop or running the line through the hook eye before tying the dropper? (so that your bait can move freely around the circumferance of the loop, if that makes sense). I'm sure the answer to these questions is relative to the situation, I'm just wondering if there's one preferred method. Or, which situation each method would be suited for? Thanks, Rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote