Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
T Bone

Just saw a great writeup on it on MSN.Its is a mass of anchovie,sardines and mackrel.Suspected cause of death is Oxygen depravation caused by too many fish in an oxygen poor environment.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Fiskadoro

The fish looked too big to be anchovies in the earlier pictures.

Turns out in this closeup you can see that they are actually mostly sardines....

This is really kind of a weird one. I used to live there and I have seen fishkills in the harbor before, but usually in the summer when the water is much warmer. They had a big one in 2005 but it was in July.

The Authorities are saying it was oxygen depletion, but in the ocean that is usually associated with warm water and red tide, in this case the water is cool, and I haven't heard anything about red tide at Redondo and the water in the video looks clear of red tide.

Basin 1 and 2 are the furthest from the inlet and they have the largest storm drains feeding into them. Lots of chemicals can deplete water of oxygen.

It's interesting to note that it's mostly dead baitfish. That basin has a lot of spotties in it and other fish even halibut. Unlike dines they know the harbor well enough to swim out to get away from bad stuff in the water. Dines because the school up and swim together are more likely to get caught in a situation where something comes down the drain and then pollutes the water.

If you look at the pics and vids...

...you can clearly see that all the fish are bunched up on one side of the basin. From the pics it looks like those fish died on the south side of the basin right in front of the storm drains on the north side. If I had to guess something came down the storm drain that depleted the oxygen in the water, the dines tried to escape and were pushed to the south side of the basin by the contaminate or the oxygen depletion it caused, and whatever it was it overwhelmed them and eventually killed the dines there.

I've seen dines in there so thick you could practically walk on them and they did not die of oxygen depletion. The amount of bait the pictures show could not of used up all that oxygen on their own, it's actually a pretty normal amount of bait for that area. I'd say maybe some pool chemicals, lawn care stuff or something to do with maintaining the power plant that is right across the street, got into the water and killed the fish.

Just my take though.

I'll tell you guys one thing. I used to live on my boat in that harbor, and when it comes to politics and the City of Redondo Beach: business interests, and tourism always come first. If it came from the power plant or anyone else that might get in trouble, or if it might hurt the their tourism base the City would have no problem covering it up or pretending it's a natural phenomena rather than admit to a industrial accident or bad water discharge.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
maui jim

Just like the Salton Sea...Brown Alge good...Green Alge bad....

Where's Sonny Bono when we need him....

It's gunna smell like the Salton Sea on a nice 90+ degree day
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
onetriphudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Just as I figured: The fish looked too big to be anchovies in the earlier pictures.

Turns out in this closeup you can see that they are actually mostly sardines....

This is really kind of a weird one. I used to live there, and I have seen fishkills in the harbor before, but usually in the summer when the water is much warmer. They had a big one in 2005 but it was in July.

The Authorities are saying it was oxygen depletion, but in the ocean that is usually associated with warm water and red tide, in this case the water is cool, and I haven't heard anything about red tide at Redondo and the water in the video looks clear of red tide.

Basin 1 and 2 are the furthest from the inlet and they have the largest storm drains feeding into them. Lots of chemicals can deplete water of oxygen.

It's interesting to note that it's mostly dead baitfish. That basin has a lot of spotties in it and other fish even halibut. Unlike dines they know the harbor well enough to swim out to get away from bad stuff in the water. Dines because the school up and swim together are more likely to get caught in a situation where they can't get out if something comes down the drain and then pollutes the water.

If you look at the pics you can clearly see that all the fish are bunched up on one side of the basin. From the pics it looks like those fish died on the south side of the basin right in front of the storm drains on the north side. If I had to guess something came down the storm drain that depleted the oxygen in the water, the dines tried to escape and were pushed to the south side of the basin by the contaminate or the oxygen depletion it caused, and whatever it was it overwhelmed them and eventually killed the dines there.

I've seen dines in there so thick you could practically walk on them and they did not die of oxygen depletion. The amount of bait the pictures show could not of used up all that oxygen on their own, it's a pretty normal amount of bait for that area. I'd say maybe some pool chemicals, lawn care stuff or something to do with maintaining the power plant that is right across the street, got into the water and killed the fish.

Just my take though.

I'll tell you guys one thing. I used to live on my boat in that harbor, and when it comes to politics and the City of Redondo Beach: business interests, and tourism always come first. If it came from the power plant or anyone else that might get in trouble, or if it might hurt the their tourism base the City would have no problem covering it up or pretending it's a natural phenomena rather than admit to a industrial accident or bad water discharge.

Jim
I totally agree with you Jim, this is unnatural proof that KH is being treated poorly. Its too bad... I can only imagine what SM bay would be like if even half the people inland were more responsible with their trash and waste materials.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
....Redondo Beach fish die-off: Tests show oxygen levels at 'almost zero .......
That is kinda far from a normal oxygen level, and it's not the kind of thing you would usually see in there just because there is a lot of bait in the water.

Lot's of Chemicals can pull oxygen out of the water, I would say a oxygen level that is so depleted that it's at "almost zero" bis far from normal and more likely to be caused by something unnatural or chemical or at least more abnormal then just a lot of bait in the water.

I mean if twenty people locked themselves in their garage with a running car the carbon monoxide could pull the oxygen levels in the garage down to "almost zero" but that would not mean they died a natural death, or that they died because the garage was too crowded, or that they would of died with or without the car running.

The deal is basin 1 and 2 are not even closed in like a garage. The opening to the main harbor must be a hundred feet wide and ten feet deep, and there are several circulation pipes right in front of where the bait died that connect that basin to the next one over.

Big tides, strong surge, and the wind blew like hell last night, that basin should of got plenty circulation in the last 24 hours. I'm just trying to point out that it's highly unlikely that in a relatively open harbor that oxygen levels would drop that low unless there is some major influence like red tide or chemicals involved.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-08-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
I I can only imagine what SM bay would be like if even half the people inland were more responsible with their trash and waste materials.
I hear you there. I hate fishing after rains because of all the junk in the water, just get tired of pulling all the stuff up.

Jim
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
JohnB
Night Fisher

They've determined such kills off the coast of Africa to have been caused by gas emissions from the seabed. Being that you guys are in a seismically active area, is there a chance that could have done it?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
They've determined such kills off the coast of Africa to have been caused by gas emissions from the seabed. Being that you guys are in a seismically active area, is there a chance that could have done it?

That's true, but the seabed is being disturbed (generally from seismac or volcanic activity) and creating a chemical reaction; I don't see that happening here, at this time.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
Deuce

I was down there this am. It was crazy. one side of the harbor, they were all dead. the other side all alive. They said there was no Oxygen. but all the other fish under the sardine's where swimming around just fine.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #30
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wow...I've seen it at Salton Sea before, those pics are insane...

On a side note, I've found a solution, but I'm sure it will piss the phook out of Redondo...let's do a mass roundup of the seals in LJ, drop those bastages off, they will gorge themselves before the birds and the smell take over, and hope they never find their way home...just a thought...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #31
yaknewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Wow...I've seen it at Salton Sea before, those pics are insane...

On a side note, I've found a solution, but I'm sure it will piss the phook out of Redondo...let's do a mass roundup of the seals in LJ, drop those bastages off, they will gorge themselves before the birds and the smell take over, and hope they never find their way home...just a thought...
Im Down with this iv got the truck you load them up tho
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #32
mtnbykr2

warm water...good...too much bait bad...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
frenchey
Junior

Exclamation

WOW
frenchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #34
Billy V

It must be the Urban Runoff, Outfall Pipes, and Excessive Coastal Development that was dumped from the mlpa.

Man -- that place is going to smell worse than Meg Caldwell's sweat pants.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I hear the Bonita fishing has picked up comensurately
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

any chance the the earthquake in japan killed the bait fish in harbors beach because of the plates releasing chemicals?

pressure being release from seismic activity?

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-11-2011 at 05:21 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #37
bubblehide

Well, official word is now in, the cause was a very strong neurotoxin.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #38
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Well, official word is now in, the cause was a very strong neurotoxin.
Who could of seen that coming!!!

I figured the official story was bullshit from the start, and though I thought it was probably chemical, Domoic acid was on my list.

For those that do not know Domoic Acid ia the neurotoxin that causes amnesic shellfish poisoning. It Bioaccumilates so it builds up in the tissue of small fish like anchovies and sardines and then is absorbed and bioaccumlates in anything that eats them. When ingested by humans it acts as a neurotoxin causing memory loss, brain damage or even death.

Basically anything that has been feeding on those sardines is now suspect and potentially dangerous to eat. That goes for Lobsters as well as fish so I would not eat anything that comes from Redondo harbor for a while. I'd also suggest to guys that took sardines home for hoop bait etc.. that they throw that stuff in the trash. You don't want to hoop with bait that is contaminated with a neurotoxin. Demoic acid is serious shit, it kills fish eating mammals every year, do not mess around with it.

Don't be surprised if the City of Redondo plays this down, sticks to the original overcrowding story or basically acts like this is no big deal. Like I said earlier I used to live on my boat in that harbor, and when it comes to politics and the City of Redondo Beach: business interests, and tourism always come first. If it could negatively hurt the city, or cut into their tourism base the City would have no problem covering it up or pretending it's not dangerous or no big deal.

Jim
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #39
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

MORE DEAD SARDINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Who could of seen that coming!!!

I figured the official story was bullshit from the start, and though I thought it was probably chemical, Domoic acid was on my list.

For those that do not know Domoic Acid ia the neurotoxin that causes amnesic shellfish poisoning. It Bioaccumilates so it builds up in the tissue of small fish like anchovies and sardines and then is absorbed and bioaccumlates in anything that eats them. When ingested by humans it acts as a neurotoxin causing memory loss, brain damage or even death.

Basically anything that has been feeding on those sardines is now suspect and potentially dangerous to eat. That goes for Lobsters as well as fish so I would not eat anything that comes from Redondo harbor for a while. I'd also suggest to guys that took sardines home for hoop bait etc.. that they throw that stuff in the trash. You don't want to hoop with bait that is contaminated with a neurotoxin. Demoic acid is serious shit, it kills fish eating mammals every year, do not mess around with it.

Don't be surprised if the City of Redondo plays this down, sticks to the original overcrowding story or basically acts like this is no big deal. Like I said earlier I used to live on my boat in that harbor, and when it comes to politics and the City of Redondo Beach: business interests, and tourism always come first. If it could negatively hurt the city, or cut into their tourism base the City would have no problem covering it up or pretending it's not dangerous or no big deal.

Jim

I don't know about you guys but from now on, if i hear of more dead sardines I am going to connect this event with early signs of A MEGA QUAKE!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110312/...ico_fish_surge

More dead Sardines in ACAPULCO!!!!!!!!!!!

I will assume there is a fault line by Redondo Canyon which caused plankton in a toxic algea bloom to manifest and the small bait fish ate it and died.

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-13-2011 at 07:01 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #40
Kirk
Junior

USC scientists think they ate toxic algae before entering the harbor.

A friend who goes to SIO forwarded me this email from David Caron at USC.

Quote:
Following is a synopsis of the state of knowledge that my lab has
acquired regarding the massive fish kill that took place this week in
King Harbor, City of Redondo Beach. This is fairly general because I
am sending this to a fairly wide audience, but feel free to pass this
along to individuals or groups that you feel should be made aware of
this, and feel free to give me a call or drop an email if you need
further information or have questions.
David Caron

On Tuesday, March 8, 2011, King Harbor in the City of Redondo Beach
experienced a massive fish kill (estimates are in the millions of fish
killed), apparently mostly Pacific sardine. This event has received
national and global attention. My research group at the University of
Southern California has been actively working and monitoring King
Harbor as a site of recurrent algal blooms since a massive fish kill
occurred there in 2005. The exact cause of the 2005 event was never
clearly determined, but it coincided with a large microalgal bloom.
Thus, the buildup of algae and perhaps toxins produced by harmful
algal species, were implicated as playing a role in the fish
mortality.

In response to the 2005 mortality event, we established a monitoring
program there in 2006 to characterize the algal species at the site,
and subsequently a suite of instruments to measure water quality in
2007, and we have maintained those instruments and characterized the
microalgae in the water through the present time. These instruments,
and additional measurements made at the time of the event on March 8th
and immediately following the mortality event, are summarized below:

Our sensor packages in the water recorded pertinent environmental
parameters (temperature, salinity, dissolved oxygen, and chlorophyll
fluorescence which is a proxy for microalgal biomass) prior to and
during the event. These instruments indicated a precipitous drop in
dissolved oxygen coincident with the mortality event. Based on the
information collected by the sensor packages, we conclude that
depletion of dissolved oxygen was unquestionably the immediate cause
of the mortality event.

Profiles of dissolved oxygen made in and around King Harbor on March 8
indicated exceptionally low dissolved oxygen concentrations within the
harbor, with increasing concentrations of oxygen in the outer harbor
region. Severely depleted levels of dissolved oxygen persist today
(March 10) in parts of the harbor in the wake of the mortality event.

It is not clear at this time whether the oxygen depletion in King
Harbor on the 8th occurred solely due to respiration by the very large
population of sardines that entered the harbor days prior to the
mortality event. It is possible that an influx of coastal water with
a low concentration of oxygen may have occurred, contributing to the
low oxygen conditions. We are continuing to examine this possibility.

Our continuously-recording instruments measured relatively low
chlorophyll concentrations leading up to, during, and immediately
following the event (<2 ug/l). Therefore, we have ruled out the
possibility of a massive buildup of algal biomass as a factor
contributing to the mortality event (high algal biomass was a presumed
contributor to the 2005 mortality event).

In addition, analysis of water samples collected on the day of the
event in King Harbor indicated very low microalgal biomass in general,
and the virtual absence of potentially harmful or toxic algal species
in the water.

Despite the lack of toxic algal species in the water at King Harbor
during this event, analyses of the gut contents of fish collected on
March 8th have tested strongly positive for domoic acid. Domoic acid
is a powerful neurotoxin produced by a specific type of microalgae.
The algae are strained from the water by plankton-eating fish such as
sardines and anchovy, and the toxin is often found concentrated in the
stomach contents of these fish during a toxic algal bloom. Domoic
acid can cause a variety of neurological disorders, and death, of
animals consuming fish contaminated with the neurotoxin. Research
also indicates that domoic acid poisoning can cause abnormal swimming
behavior in some fish. It is possible that high levels of domoic acid
in the sardines in King Harbor may have exacerbated physiological
stress of the fish brought on by oxygen depletion of the water, or may
have been a contributing explanation for them congregating in the
harbor at very high abundances, but this has not been confirmed.

We believe that the fish ingested the toxin offshore (before entering
the harbor) because domoic acid was not detected in the water within
King Harbor on the day of the event. Additionally, during our 5-year
study we have not observed significant concentrations of domoic acid
in King Harbor. We have confirmed that plankton collected from the
coastal ocean approximately 20 km southwest of Redondo Beach on March
9 had very high concentrations of domoic acid in the plankton. That
finding support the idea that the fish ingested the toxin in coastal
waters before entering the harbor.

This is the present status of our knowledge on this event. My lab is
continuing to analyze for other algal toxins in the fish collected at
the time of the mortality event. We are also continuing to monitor