Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Mr Fishback

Sailing and Fishing with a Hobie Outback

Hi All,

I've been fishing off a Hobbie Outback for a few months now. Lately I've been thinking about buying the sail kit, but I'm concerned the line for the sail is gonna get caught on my rods while I'm using the rear molded rod holders. Anyone try the sail with rods sticking out back there?

Also for anyone who has sailed the Outback, is the AMA kit a must? The kayak seems pretty stable, but do I need to worry about rolling that beast?

Any Advice Appreciated =)

- Joseph, San Diego
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
MuddyMike

No, the AMAs are not a must. My father and I got a couple Outbacks a month or two ago too. He's fish/sailed out of Oceanside (outside the harbor) and Mission Bay (inside only) so far w/o any problems.

I get jealous sometimes when he's sitting back trolling.

It does seem like a bit much with the line going across the boat, but he loves it. He even made a custom roller furling so he could easily roll the sail in and out.

Now he's working on rigging the line down and around the cockpit so it is more out of the way.

I sailed it last time we were out at MB. I've sailed a lot in dingy to 30' sized boats, so I do have a bit to compare it to. While it is a pretty basic sailing setup, it does get you around.

It doesn't track great so make use of everything you can by making sure the pedals are neutral (both fins down like a keel) and the sailing rudder is a no brainer if you're spending that kind of money on a sail. If you're not really trying to get anywhere and you're just dragging lures, then you probably don't need to pay much attention to that stuff.

I could see it tipping in heavier or moderately gusty winds if the sails were tight and you weren't paying attention. Maybe that's where the AMAs come into play. I wouldn't let that idea stop you from getting the sail though.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I borrowed a sail once and tried it on my Revo. It was OK, but kind of like kissing your sister. If you are used to sailing in real sail boats you will be a little underwhelmed. On the other hand, if you have miles to travel in a direction where the sail will help, you could save a lot of wear and tear on the body.

As for fishing with the mast up, that would not be for me. I can just see hooking a big fish who decides to swim in circles around your kayak. The mast could really get in the way. If I had a sail for my kayak, I would certainly take it down when it came time to start fishing.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Mr Fishback

Thanks guys! I'm definately fired up about getting a sail now =D

- Joseph, San Diego
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
WahooUSMA

Alrighty, I will chime in on this one. Worst purchase in my life...Hobie Adventure TI. If you want to sail, buy a sail boat and sail....If you want to fish from a yak, buy a fishing kayak. Take it from me, I've owned them all.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Regor
Greg

My quick review:

Took the Revo out a few weeks ago, with Sail.

As is, a Revo with no outriggers is a bit tippy if you get any serious wind. Sure, it was fun in the harbor with no gear, and that is probably how I will be using the sail.

As far as trying to fish while under sail, (IMO) I don't see it happening. Just too much to have to pay attention to. Add the weight of the sail/sidekick, gear, etc ... and your pushing the limit of the Revo. Not to mention if you hookup and the hassle of having to navigate your line around the mast and line.

If your going to use it to get out/back in from your fishing grounds, sure it will work, and you can wrap up the mast while fishing, but it is still there and too tall to stow. Besides, I would not go outside of my normal range on the Revo, under sail, and have to rely on the wind to bring me back anyway.

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote