Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Frank, waves are measured from the back side, ocean surface to the top of the wave; not the face (front). But it's a common mistake.
If you go to Hawaii, you are correct. In cali, and most other places in the world they use the face height, because the way different spots break. A 2 foot wave back might be a 2 foot face in one place, and a 4 foot wave face in another.

"In March 2001 however, the National Weather Service sought to standardize reporting, calling the surf by wave face. This was done in the interest of public safety, especially in light of a series of injury lawsuits that claimed that surf reports did not accurately reflect true ocean conditions."
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
If you go to Hawaii, you are correct. In cali, and most other places in the world they use the face height, because the way different spots break. A 2 foot wave back might be a 2 foot face in one place, and a 4 foot wave face in another.

"In March 2001 however, the National Weather Service sought to standardize reporting, calling the surf by wave face. This was done in the interest of public safety, especially in light of a series of injury lawsuits that claimed that surf reports did not accurately reflect true ocean conditions."

Both are true, today they call it the wave face, for the height of the face, and when "wave height" is used, it refers to the backside measurement. But the backside has been the traditional referenced method.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
steveooo

Quote:
Both are true, today they call it the wave face, for the height of the face, and when "wave height" is used, it refers to the backside measurement. But the backside has been the traditional referenced method.
If "both are true", then why be so quick to point out Frank's "common mistake" in how he determined how big the waves were?

I don't get it?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
bubblehide

Quote:
If "both are true", then why be so quick to point out Frank's "common mistake" in how he determined how big the waves were?

I don't get it?

Simple, there are officially recognized methods, and those that aren't. The method you used to corrected me on, was simply brought about to "cover one's a*# in respect to litigation.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
steveooo

Quote:
Simple, there are officially recognized methods, and those that aren't. The method you used to corrected me on, was simply brought about to "cover one's a*# in respect to litigation.
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!

For a second there, it appeared that you were using the opportunity to puff your chest out and be a weenie, but in reality you were just being helpful in making sure Frank can avoid potential litigation that may occur from him misreporting how big the surf is.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
bubblehide

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!

For a second there, it appeared that you were using the opportunity to puff your chest out and be a weenie, but in reality you were just being helpful in making sure Frank can avoid potential litigation that may occur from him misreporting how big the surf is.

Dude, I guess I was simply being to technical; there was no offense intended; sorry if it came across that way.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
ericko

well the diabetic meter was under a limited warrenty cost me only $230..just got it today
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote