Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
MrPatrick

I got a G-Loomis for two dollars!

I'm a cheap bastard. I'm all about garage sales, pawn shops, thrift stores, Craigslist and trash day. I collect old tennis rackets and have found that Play it again Sports is a great place to find obscure frames. I stopped at the Vista store a week and a half ago and checked out their rackets, nothing special on that day. The poor selection of fishing items was next, nope. How about the golf clubs? I am planning on making a small v-sail for my yak and graphite golf shafts would be ideal. I found two that were the same legnth and were two for one. At $3.98 for two this was going to be a cheap sail. I looked around some more and saw some fishing rods standing in a corner. The gold lettering of G-Loomis on graphite jumped out at me. It was twisted in amongst the rods and it took a second to get it out............................................... ............ WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!

It was another golf club! Apparently G-Loomis made golf shafts years ago. It was in perfect condition. It was also a two for one club at $3.98!
Back went the worst of the previous clubs. This won't be part of a sail, it is too cool. It may become a gaff or a light holder or something else. I already have a Titleist gaff, may need to upgrade.
That other club had been a three wood, now it's a true Hybrid. It was tuned into a Franken-Rod. I cut off the clubhead and put a two and a half foot piece of an ultraight rod in it. Removed the guides and pushed the fishing rod piece through the hole in the golf grip. Like a telescopic rod. Small zip-ties and Gorilla glue to reattach the guides. Zip-ties to attach the reel to the clubs grip and the hybrid was done. It works well for the bay and has a dozen fish on it's maiden trip.
As for the G-Loomis, whatever it becomes it may well be the most unique G-Lommis on any kayak.

Any Suggestions for what my G-Loomis should become?
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omg that is some of the funniest s*** i've heard. super glue and zip-ties
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
MrPatrick

re. your OMG

It was a killing time, what if, WTF idea. And it worked!

Next a paddle out of garden rake!

Stay tuned
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote