Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
DHSDave

First timer...SD Bay last weekend....

First time on SD Bay in my yak. I picked up about a 20" short halibut near north island with a sabiki rig. Tried like hell to find and make bait, no joy. Chumming with cat food, looking for sign and marks on my ff.

Made the mistake to go outside the bay and came back in on an outgoing tide, let's just say it made for a hell of a workout coming back to the Shelter Island launch. Must have been at least a couple hours but my arms felt like they were going to fall off by the time I made it back to the launch, lol.

Where's the best place to try and make macs in SD Bay? I know in a pinch I could always hit the bait barge for deans or chovies. Thanks...
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
xpresso2am

I have a lot of luck right in front of Island Prime for macks
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
taggermike

I've seen maks around the areas just to the right of the shelter island launch ramp. They are often around the fishing pier. However, for bay I have found that maks aren't the best bait. I've done better in the bays with smelt. Chumm with bread then use a tiny sabiki, an umbrella net, or snag them. They live in small bait tanks well also. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've seen maks around the areas just to the right of the shelter island launch ramp. They are often around the fishing pier. However, for bay I have found that maks aren't the best bait. I've done better in the bays with smelt. Chumm with bread then use a tiny sabiki, an umbrella net, or snag them. They live in small bait tanks well also. Mike
I have never gotten a bite on smelt, and they are easy to make, SI is one of my favs, but the Hammer is the bait of choice there, and also small grubs on a 1/4 oz head on the bottom for big sandies.
Been ther done that on the outgoing tide...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote