Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
619-SWIM-DOG

Only thing I'm holding onto is a cold beer and the rod with a fish on it.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Trust me... I'm an expert on all things and after only reading the part of the article that Jorge posted I believe that all foot propulsion kayaks should be made illegal.
Peddle kayaks are not only extremely hazardous to those who use them but also to every other person on the water.
It's no secret that the only people who buy those death traps are drunks and stoners. We all know that these "dark siders" like their hands free to drink their craft beers and smoke their Marijuana cigarettes while moving at ungodly speeds across the water.
Studies have also proved that injectors of heroin prefer the hands free method of kayaking so the they can easily "fix" themselves while bouncing the bottom for Halibut.
Even to the untrained eye this drug and alcohol induced behavior is evident by watching these crazed hooligans try to land their barges in the smallest of surf.
The time is now to ban the sale, use, and ownership of these dark side death tubs.
That's good!

I'll be more careful around those guys from this point forward.

Will surf booties protect my feet from needles in the sand?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #23
tomahawk

Just read Jorge's excerpt. I think what the author is trying to say is that spreading your legs increases your mass moment of inertia making it easier to balance. It is easy to think of it like a tight rope walker. He uses the pole to increase his MOI giving him better balance. The paddle and your legs can have a similar effect. Also, the comment about the hands grasping the sides has to do with adding a torque to the system for balance. All true and based in science as alanw said, as is the the higher cg associated with sitting on raised seat. All kayakers have the most advanced feedback control system available to them, the human brain. I bet the pedalers have crazy good balance in a paddle yak where all those things are helping them.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 AM   #24
YakDout
Brandon

Honestly, I hold the sides of my kayak a lot because I dont have a PADDLE in my hands. What would paddlers do with their hands if they had alternate means of propulsion? Would you guys sit on your hands or..??
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote