Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
packeryakker

My first legal

Went out today optimistic about the prospect of landing, filleting and eating my first legal halibut. I am still new to this whole process but today was the day. Showed up at Belmont Pier at around 5ish to make some bait only a couple other guys there, they seemed to be pulling in plenty of small baits and macks. I proceeded to catch one trout sized mack in the hour I fished there. So I took my giant mack and packed up and headed up to Cherry Beach picking up frozen chovies at 7-11 on the way. Weather was great, low wind, overcast and quiet. I started unloading and quickly realized something was not right, my mirage drive was AT HOME, rookie mistake so stupid. Figured I was here what the hell I will paddle, after all the water was great. Got loaded and paddled out towards the island getting drug around by that giant mack, after an hour or so that mack was toast so I switched out for a frozen anchovie. Within a few minutes I heard the sound I have come to anticipate, the one the haunts me when I am just about asleep, the sound that until today has resulted in my second guessing how I have handled each and every pick up. Click...click... click....faster then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, waited, forced myself to slow down. Swung and felt weight. After two missed attempts at the gaff the third try struck pay dirt and the butt was in my boat. As you can see from the pics it is just barely legal. Mouth closed measured 22.5, in the pic mouth open 23. At any rate I am happy to say that the stink is off my new boat and has been replaced with blood.
!

Tale of the tape

Tail of the tape

My first Halibut Filet very little waste, belly meat looked a little funny

For anyone who would like to endure the 6 min video here is the link, kids got me a gopro for fathers day and I used it for the first time today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhWCG...&feature=g-upl
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote