Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Wader leak

Since I can't load and unload my yak I decided to go perch jerkin. While fishing I thought my right leg was a bit colder than the left. Got back to my truck and when I stripped out of my waders, my right leg was wet. How do I find a pin hole leak in my waders? Just fill them up with water? What can I use to patch the leak once it's found? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
YakMedic

Take your waders into a dark room an shine a flashlight into the affected leg, stretch the material if needed and you should see light shining through. My waders came with a patch kit when I bought them. I'm sure you can find something similar.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Never thought of using light. Thanks. I'm sure my waders came with a patch kit, but it's long gone.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Turns out breathable waders let lots of light through, dang. Any other ideas?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
fishinkid2010

Try covering the outside of the waders with soapy water. Then take an air compressor and hold the top of the waders closed around the air nozzle as tight as you can with your hands, then inflate. Ideally it should form small bubbles at the hole.
I had the same issue and the method I described worked for me. However, my waders were neoprene... not sure if that will make a difference.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Flyfisher70

If you know where or what part of your leg was first wet that should give you a starting point of where the leak might be. I have used UV wader repair for a fairly large hole caused by a clouser minnow.

The UV wader repair worked out just fine, I have not had any water seeping through thus far.

I have also used silicone on the neoprene stocking on some old waders, they had a hole somewhere in the toes, I could not pinpoint where the hole was, so I added silicone to the entire seam in the toe area, that worked out great as well not another leak. Hope this helps out.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
steveooo

Pour rubbing alcohol around the suspected leak from the outside. It will seep through and discolor the area around the pinhole on the inside.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
WahooUSMA

First hole, I used the manufactures patch kit. Second and third holes I just used marine good...3 years and still holding strong. My holes were easy to find since my 6x salas treble hook was embedded in my waders and still attached to my rod and reel as I got tossed in the surf. Hence, when the surf is up, I rig up outside the breakers and I break everything down when coming in, regardless of the size of the surf.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

walk a couple steps into a pool with yer waders on...you will find the leak rather quickly cuz yer under clothing will be wet near the hole.
Winning. ha
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote